Help with research into genetic diseases Watch

toddlers crossword
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I didn't know where to put this, so feel free to move it somewhere more appropriate!

Anyway, thought I'd post about this program my boyfriend told me about, I'm not the hottest scientific brain on the planet but I believe it maps the 'folding' of proteins, which helps in research into genetic diseases

As this research takes a phenomenal amount of processing power, they ask people to help out by installing a program on their computer that runs in the background and does cool stuff with proteins :cool: they have little graphics of the protein you're researching as well

If anyone wants to do it this is the website
britishseapower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
thats been going for years, I first installed that about 10 years ago!
toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
Yeah it has apparently been going for aaaages, but I'd never heard of it. Guess there's a lot of proteins to fold...or whatever exactly they are doing
britishseapower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by toddlers crossword)
Yeah it has apparently been going for aaaages, but I'd never heard of it. Guess there's a lot of proteins to fold...or whatever exactly they are doing
it was for cancer research back in the day if I remember correctly unless that was a different one that I had or they changed it
toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
"What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes. "

could be the same one as it involves cancer research but also research into lots of genetic diseases
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (135)
18.42%
No (445)
60.71%
Not really bothered about them (153)
20.87%

Watched Threads