Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dismal_laundry)
    Perhaps your dad had had a lot of experience in industry as well, etc.
    true. he did his degree when he was 29 i think

ReputationRep:
    Is this for the 1856 history essay? If so, come on you've had a year of history essay practice before you came to UCL!

ReputationRep:
    aaah 1856 a good year for French wine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crackingod)
    :p: :p: I know :p: But still, I'm pretty happy with it
    Although I have to admit I've been pretty lucky cause I managed to find some new research published only 2 months ago on my topic which put an "original" spin on my essay
    Are you not required to reference all of your sources? I'm sure that the essay was pretty amazing to get 79% but if you're representing the research of others as your own 'original' ideas then that's tantamount to plagiarism. I'm sure you did reference it, which would doubtless take away some of the originality marks you received. Which must make the essay even better... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    What about SSEES? Is it hard to get high marks in Econ +Bussines with EE studies?

ReputationRep:
    SSEES has its own econ department?

Econ1005/World Economy do not count as proper econ, more like a butcher.

EDIT: On that note the ucl econ department should ban its students from taking courses made for those outside the course, and give them more options.
    *COUGH* HINT *COUGH*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vincente)
    I think this stretches to all respectable universities in the UK or at least universities which were created before 1992. I mean my cousin went to Westminster and the exams isin't at all rigorous and you get a chunk of your marks from attendance alone.
    Did he tell you this? Did you see the exams? Sounds like rubbish to me.

I've been comparing exams in similar subjects recently from differnet universities (with Westminster included) and they all seem very similar.

ReputationRep:
    Did he tell you this?
    Yup, I've never checked up on this but told he me this and he did attend Westminster during about the late 1990s but he dropped out. Can you be ever so kind to show me some of these papers and I can show you some UCL ones so we may dispel his views

ReputationRep:
    The majority of papers I had (will try and track down again) were in Computer Science - mainly programming (Java) and software modelling (UML). There was little difference in either paper, although I guess that could be due to the subject.

Also - I would put my house on Westminster NOT giving someone a chunk of marks for attendance alone. To begin with they would never get away with it

ReputationRep:
    Also - I would put my house on Westminster NOT giving someone a chunk of marks for attendance alone. To begin with they would never get away with it
    Well you may put your house on it but this is from a Westminster student who attended the institution (business related course I think) and not some random stab by me at an ex-poly university, because I know nothing about it apart the fact one of its campuses is right in front of my halls. He may be lying or exaggerating but this statement is from his own mouth.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that Strand Poly give you Firsts for turning up to exams...

ReputationRep:
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vincente)
    Well you may put your house on it but this is from a Westminster student who attended the institution (business related course I think) and not some random stab by me at an ex-poly university, because I know nothing about it apart the fact one of its campuses is right in front of my halls. He may be lying or exaggerating but this statement is from his own mouth.
    circa when? It's sure as hell not the case now.

ReputationRep:
    circa when? It's sure as hell not the case now
    please read all my posts

ReputationRep:
    ... 10 year ago. It's easier to gain 100% in MCQ tests. In coursework, I have been told by tutors that a mark over 78% in Psychology modules is rare. I don't know how the marking criteria differs between different universities. The highest grade I've received for coursework is 72% and for an MCQ + SAQ is 90%.

ReputationRep:
    UCL don't mark on a curve. Any mark is possible. I've had several 80+%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazster)
    SSEES has its own econ department?

Econ1005/World Economy do not count as proper econ, more like a butcher.

EDIT: On that note the ucl econ department should ban its students from taking courses made for those outside the course, and give them more options.
    *COUGH* HINT *COUGH*
    I heard that many students found world econ module quite easy :yep:

ReputationRep:
    When I started university my friends told me u can't afford to upset any lecturer because failing you will be their weapon and they do it often as a punishment. I was so scared I find it hard to question any lecturer in case they will make me pay for it. One day I couldn't hold back and then question a particular lecturer since then I started getting 40 s and 50s in my assignments but before then I was getting 60s and 70s the funniest thing is the changes of the grades is in all my modules not that particular tutor i had the differences with alone I am putting in same level of efforts and am beginning to think if there is any conspiracy going on even the attitude of all the lectures has change towards me which frustrates me and sometimes I do think may be I should throw in the towel my mind also sometimes tells me that may be I am just being paranoid. Am I paranoid? please help ! Or how do I turn things around? 77 even though I am hurting I just have to fake smile in seminars or is there a code place next to my name help I am loosing it. I mean in my last exam with the same tutor I got 49% I mean what will it cost to give one mark for me to be on lower 2nd but I was left with 3rd

ReputationRep:
    Third: 40-42: D-
    43-46: D
    47-49 D+
    Referred Fail: 35-39
    Fail, below 35

Is this also the case in MSc degrees? I got an offer from UCL MSc Computer Science and I've seen that the passing grade is 50 in this programme. If only the best students(1st class range) can barely get a 70, putting a pass grade as high as 50 is not fair... I don't know about UK grading system so correct me if I'm wrong. Now I'm even considering to turn down this offer cause I don't wanna insanely study my ass off, this is crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeniel)
    Third: 40-42: D-
    43-46: D
    47-49 D+
    Referred Fail: 35-39
    Fail, below 35

Is this also the case in MSc degrees? I got an offer from UCL MSc Computer Science and I've seen that the passing grade is 50 in this programme. If only the best students(1st class range) can barely get a 70, putting a pass grade as high as 50 is not fair... I don't know about UK grading system so correct me if I'm wrong. Now I'm even considering to turn down this offer cause I don't wanna insanely study my ass off, this is crazy.
    My boyfriend is also doing a MSc in a computer science related subject, It's not even at UCL, it's at what would be considered as a 'lower/lesser' university and his pass rate is still 50%, so perhaps it's standard. It is a masters/postgraduate degree, after all, rather than an undergraduate degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 17, 2014
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.