The Student Room Group

HELP ME PLEASE (life threatening infectious disease)

I have been told I have got lung infection and should take a blood test in case I am at risk of having TB (life threatening).

However, I am VERY VERY afraid of needles, when i get a small injection, my blood pressure drops instantly and i pass out.

I have looked online on how to 'cure' this issues and not to be afraid, but it suggests to look at pictures and videos, but for me, it think it makes matters worse...

any suggestions on how to not be afraid of needles help me get the test...
Original post by ABCgcseABC
I have been told I have got lung infection and should take a blood test in case I am at risk of having TB (life threatening).

However, I am VERY VERY afraid of needles, when i get a small injection, my blood pressure drops instantly and i pass out.

I have looked online on how to 'cure' this issues and not to be afraid, but it suggests to look at pictures and videos, but for me, it think it makes matters worse...

yeah first step stop browsing the internet
second step u have to accept where you are
third step be happy nothing is worth it
fourth step stay with whom u love
fifth step get well soon

Some people just react that way to having a blood test, and even if you are no longer afraid of needles, you might still pass out. I'm not sure there is a cure, tbh - I used to feel funny when even thinking about blood tests or looking at my veins, but that seems to have gone away as I have gotten older.

In terms of things that might help you not pass out - drink plenty of water and ask if you can lie down when they do the blood test.

Good luck and hope you get well soon!
Reply 4

For me it was a matter of accepting that it was something I needed to do. Didn't matter if I was scared I still had to go. I got there, had it done and survived. It wasn't the most pleasant experience (I threw up), but I did it and got the information I needed from it.
Over time and getting more and more blood tests I've got more and more used to it and as I've become more used it it I've been able to control my body more so it doesn't react badly. The worst part is worrying yourself into feeling unwell.

You need to have this blood test done. If you don't you might end up suffering a lot more.
Book it, tell the nurse you are scared when you get there (it's totally normal), try your best to relax and distract yourself wit talking or reading or thinking about a dancing banana, survive and get the info you need from it. It should help if you drink loads before and lay down while it's being done.

Having a blood test will not harm you. It might hurt, you might faint, you might throw up, you might get a bruise. It wont last though and it will all be over in like 10 mins. You just need to be brave and push through for that long.
At the end of the day you've kinda already suffered the worst it can get (passing out). You know you've survived that so you know you can do it again. It sucks, but it has to be done.
Reply 5
I understand your not experts towards this sort of stuff, but just thought i should ask anyway...

do you reckon some sort of numbing cream helps in anyway?
(edited 5 years ago)
I understand your not experts towards this sort of stuff, but just thought i should ask anyway...

do you reckon some sort of numbing cream helps in anyway?

They use numbing creams for putting in cannulas for children in the hospital, so quite possibly. They do take like 30 minutes to work though. It might help if pain is problem and if that's what makes you faint.
You can buy numbing cream over the counter from the pharmacy which might help. I just try to shut my eyes, focus on my breathing and zone out

Quick Reply

Latest