Andre0016
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thinking about taking further maths a level but I was told it’s really difficult. I got an A* in my Maths GCSE with 78% so it wasn’t a high A*. Just curious if it’s worth doing?
Alstair
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Andre0016)
Thinking about taking further maths a level but I was told it’s really difficult. I got an A* in my Maths GCSE with 78% so it wasn’t a high A*. Just curious if it’s worth doing?
Doing Further Maths is not just about difficulty, I personally don't do Further Maths but unless you really love Maths or it might help your university application or is a required A-Level (highly unlikely) for the course you want to do then I would advise against it as I hear it is really hard. Jw do you have any idea what you want to do at university?
Andre0016
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Alstair)
Doing Further Maths is not just about difficulty, I personally don't do Further Maths but unless you really love Maths or it might help your university application or is a required A-Level (highly unlikely) for the course you want to do then I would advise against it as I hear it is really hard. Jw do you have any idea what you want to do at university?
Computer science and further maths is recommended
Faction Paradox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's really difficult to judge who will do well in FM, but personally it's an A Level I have really enjoyed. If you put the work in, you should be able to do fine, but if you think that spending 50%+ (or even more if you are only doing 3 A Levels) of your time doing maths is something you'd enjoy, then its a rewarding A Level
Alstair
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Computer science and further maths is recommended
Well then it is a question of whether you believe its within your ability and whether you are willing to put in the hard work necessary. If you do do it then it will definitely set you apart from a number of other candidates
zeldor711
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's not really more difficult than regular maths. If you enjoy doing maths then you will be fine.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you enjoy maths? Does it come quickly to you?

If you struggled at GCSE, perhaps A-level further maths isn't for you, but if you found it reasonably easy and enjoy maths, then I think you'll find that it's quite rewarding.
Lottile
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't find that the maths is more difficult, just that there's more of it. I think it's a really good choice as a fourth A-level, because it isn't as difficult as doing another unrelated A-level. However, I wouldn't take it as a third A-level because most universities want three different A-levels for most courses, but this is obviously something you would need to check.
10cking
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I took maths and further maths AS after finding GCSE maths and further maths rather simplistic (got an A* at GCSE-no revision (and i mean none) and a B in further maths (where i attended approximately 20% of the lesson and again just turned up because I had to). HOWEVER, if you do not enjoy maths and put in the effort you WILL NOT do well. I thought I would be able to just 'wing-it', not do extra problems, not really bother with the homework or the class work and although I am naturally good at maths i got an E in maths and the 'further maths' unit I took (i dropped 2 units in March the year I did it) and got a U on the 1 module i had been getting 90-100% in all year. That was my wake up call for A Levels. If you DONT enjoy the subject DONT take it. It will affect both your ability and how difficult you find it.

I do now, however, take English Lit, Media and Psychology (very different), all rather essay based subjects (something I'm NOT naturally good at) and I enjoy them and have been getting A/A*'s. So PLEASE trust me when I say enjoyment is key at A - level <3
boulderingislife
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s 1.5x to 2x the work of normal maths. Hard in the sense that there’s a lot more stuff to learn and remember in f maths than in normal maths. That said it is very fun! Esp. Fp3 complex numbers and matrices and vectors!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (180)
14.5%
I'm not sure (57)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (36)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (601)
48.43%

Watched Threads