The Student Room Group

Uk graduate grading system

I'm an international Law Student applying to LLM courses in the UK.

I'm looking for some help in trying to figure out the grading system for graduate courses in the UK.

In my country the grading system is as follows:
Pass Class : 40% - 50%
Second Class : 50% - 60%
First Class : 60% - 70%
Distinction : 70 % +
A Pass Class is awarded also to candidates, irrespective of their percentage if they pass the examination in any subject in more than one attempt.

After some research I believe the system in the UK to be as under:
1st = 70%+
2:1 =60-70
2:2 = 50-60
3rd = 45-50
Pass = 40-45

Even if I complete my degree with a 60% + ( my current aggregate is close to 60) , I would be allotted a "pass" under my system as I had to re-attempt a subject during the course of my degree.

I would like to know if under the UK system, a re-attempt lowers your grade to a "pass" , as under my system, or would you be allotted a Class on the basis on percentage irrespective of the fact that you had to re-attempt a subject.
Original post by BELLB

I'm looking for some help in trying to figure out the grading system for graduate courses in the UK.

Distinction : 70 % +
A Pass Class is awarded also to candidates, irrespective of their percentage if they pass the examination in any subject in more than one attempt.

1st = 70%+
3rd = 45-50
Pass = 40-45

Even if I complete my degree with a 60% + ( my current aggregate is close to 60) , I would be allotted a "pass" under my system as I had to re-attempt a subject during the course of my degree.

I would like to know if under the UK system, a re-attempt lowers your grade to a "pass" , as under my system, or would you be allotted a Class on the basis on percentage irrespective of the fact that you had to re-attempt a subject.

What is the point of making this conversion?

Here if you re-sit your grades may be capped at 40% which is a pass and that'll affect your overall grade.
Original post by BELLB

Distinction : 70 %

1st = 70%
3rd = 45-50
Pass = 40-45

Even if I complete my degree with a 60% ( my current aggregate is close to 60) , I would be allotted a "pass" under my system as I had to re-attempt a subject during the course of my degree.

I thibk 40-50 is just a 3rd, some unis care about whether you've resat for entry grades
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Chichaldo
I thibk 40-50 is just a 3rd, some unis care about whether you've resat for entry grades

Not at postgrad level.
Original post by alleycat393
What is the point of making this conversion?

Here if you re-sit your grades may be capped at 40% which is a pass and that'll affect your overall grade.

I was trying to figure out the conversion to figure out if I meet the entry requirements for LLM courses.
The international entry requirement page provides an equivalent percentage, but does not include information about any possible re-attempt.

Inspite of my re-attempt I have an aggregate of 58% in the first two ( out of 3 years) so I was trying to figure out if it would amount to a 2.2 or a "pass".

I think I would have to contact the admissions office for clarification on the same. Thank you.
Original post by BELLB
I was trying to figure out the conversion to figure out if I meet the entry requirements for LLM courses.
The international entry requirement page provides an equivalent percentage, but does not include information about any possible re-attempt.

Inspite of my re-attempt I have an aggregate of 58% in the first two ( out of 3 years) so I was trying to figure out if it would amount to a 2.2 or a "pass".

I think I would have to contact the admissions office for clarification on the same. Thank you.

You really shouldn't be converting yourself. It's best to talk to the admissions office.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending