emilyyytaylorr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im applying for a job at Tiger and have to include a cover letter however i’m not reallly sure what to say as i’ve never done this before. I also haven’t worked before but that isn’t a requirement just im not sure what to say. Any help?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by emilyyytaylorr)
Im applying for a job at Tiger and have to include a cover letter however i’m not reallly sure what to say as i’ve never done this before. I also haven’t worked before but that isn’t a requirement just im not sure what to say. Any help?
Look at some samples online. Basically your cover letter should cover why you, what your skills and experience are, why Tiger and why this job and what you will bring to it.

threeportdrift
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A short paragraph - 1-2 sentences on why you want to do this sort of of work - usually some combination of your experience and interests.

A short paragraph - 1-2 sentences about why this organisation - usually because you like/value their products/service

A longer paragraph, that highlights your three most relevant skills for the job, expanding on what you've said in your CV.

Close by confirming you have anything they might say is mandatory (over 18, driver, able to speak Mandarin etc)
sandeshbukate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

1) Start powerfully

If you are starting it like:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing to apply for job openings for freshers with respect to your walk in interview jobs
Then it will appear like this

Dear Whomsoever,

I am well aware that I need to submit a cover letter so here it is. I don’t know whether I am OK for this job but please consider me too. I will study about the field once I am shortlisted for the interview.

Don’t be so lazy in writing thereby making the reader bored. Make it short and sweet and at the same time express yourself in a confident, and charismatic way.

2) Echo the job description
Hiring managers are very keen in selecting the candidates and they don’t provide detailed job description always. Express the same language of the advertisement and is good to show the skills as it will show the experience aligned with the role at hand. So if your earlier job description had copy writing in it and the new job includes blogging then mention it as blogging.

3) Don’t change your originality

People are more preferred and selected than their skills. If you provide a friendly and conversational cover letter then it will reveal that you are not a robot. This will show that you are an awesome person to work with and not some mechanical machine but a creative human being.

4) Make them wanting to meet yourself

Write a cover letter in such a way that they will want you to meet them. Express your passion without using the passion. For example: I am really good at data entry and have good professional experience with it rather than I am passionate about data entry jobs.

Also go through this article : Cover Letter Mistakes To Avoid
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sandeshbukate)
1) ..................
Sandeshbukate, please can you be more aware that CV conventions vary greatly from country to country. You, and the website you keep linking to, seem to be based in India and TSR is a mainly UK forum. Much of your advice is completely incorrect for the UK market.
sandeshbukate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Sandeshbukate, please can you be more aware that CV conventions vary greatly from country to country. You, and the website you keep linking to, seem to be based in India and TSR is a mainly UK forum. Much of your advice is completely incorrect for the UK market.
Ok.
Samar0503
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well many employers require cover letters as part of the job application process. However, even when an employer does not explicitly ask for a cover letter, you should send one. A strong cover letter can make your application stand out from the crowd. Review these tips for writing and sending a cover letter. Then, use the cover letter sample below as a guide for when you write your own cover letter.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samar0503)
Well many employers require cover letters as part of the job application process. However, even when an employer does not explicitly ask for a cover letter, you should send one. A strong cover letter can make your application stand out from the crowd. Review these tips for writing and sending a cover letter. Then, use the cover letter sample below as a guide for when you write your own cover letter.
Doesn't really make any difference what name you use, your website is still just repeating generalist mantras that often aren't appropriate to anything but the Indian job market.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.55%
I'm not sure (55)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (347)
29.18%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (579)
48.7%

Watched Threads