AQA Biology genes and the triplet code question help

Watch this thread
sushma_roberts
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi why is the answer 64?

'The genetic code uses four different DNA bases. What is the maximum number of different DNA triplets that can be made using these four bases?'
Envionic
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
4 cubed i guess cos theres 4 bases and its triplet code.
ahmettwo
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Each base pair has 4 possible variations, and there are three base pairs, then you do 4 * 4 * 4 (or 4^3) which is 64 possible triplets which can be coded for

Hope I helped
LiiHyde
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sushma_roberts)
Hi why is the answer 64?

'The genetic code uses four different DNA bases. What is the maximum number of different DNA triplets that can be made using these four bases?'
I think the answer is something to do with the fact that 42 would only make 16 combinations of triplets. There are around 20 naturally occurring amino acids in the body I believe you get taught? So you can't have 2 bases per amino acid, you need to have 3

So you do 43 and that gives you 64 combinations of code which meets the requirement for the 20 amino acids and allows the code to be degenerative as multiple triplets can code for the same amino acid.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.17%
As I expected (68)
31.78%
Harder (82)
38.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.74%

Watched Threads