The Student Room Group

What to do when inspiration fails to hit you...

Right...

I was sort of hoping I'd get those magical flash of insight moments, where everybody seems to instantly know that this place is for me! It never came. :s-smilie:

So now I'm going to have to do the slow cross checking method between for the universities, a decision between UCL/UEA and Bristol. What important things do you reckon I should take into account? If people could provide their cross-analysis that'd be useful too! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Have you visited them? That's an extremely important thing to take into account - you might walk around it and have a gut reaction to it (I remember walking around UEA thinking it was the most horrible place on earth - that's not to say that it actually is, plenty of people love it there - you just need to visit it yourself to make up your own mind). You should also take the course structure into account - have a look on the websites of the courses and see what sort of modules you can study in your second and third year - some might offer lots of choice, some might not, some might have modules which you really don't like the look of.

Then you could maybe look at the student union website and have a look at the societies and clubs available to you. Have a ganders at their prospectus' and just get a 'feel' for the place and what it has to offer. Also factor in the cost - UCL, being in London is going to be a bit more expensive, but not hugely more expensive than Bristol.

Nothing beats going to visit them though :smile:
I'm having the same difficulty, trying to choose between UEA and Sheffield :frown:

I've found drawing a table of pros and cons for each university has helped me to compare quite a bit. Mull over the table for a long time, thinking about every aspect of university that you can think of (like I considered the price of train tickets, because I'll want to come back to visit my boyfriend and things).
Reply 3
I've had a tour around UEA and a small one around UCL. My gut reactions weren't really impressive, perhaps I should have ate more... =/

I sort of liked UEA's design with the building, it looked sort of efficient but then I saw the mould on the wall. UCL appeared to have the more old looking feeling around it, rooms that weren't anything special.

The mulling aspect sounds like a good idea, what are the chances of overthinking the issue instead of going with intuition.
I looked at the societies offered by the unis, and wish one seemed more interesting was my firm.
Have a visit to Bristol, it's in between the other two in size and (from my experience) has a very good atmosphere to its departments.

Latest

Trending

Trending