Are you ashamed of your class? Watch

greyspring
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Pretty simple question really, are you ashamed of your social class?

I started thinking about this when I overheard one of my friends saying that he was ashamed of his working-class background, and that he did everything he could to emulate the upper classes, even though it often resulted in him being mocked and spurned.
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm ashamed of humanity as a whole.
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by greyspring)
Pretty simple question really, are you ashamed of your social class?

I started thinking about this when I overheard one of my friends saying that he was ashamed of his working-class background, and that he did everything he could to emulate the upper classes, even though it often resulted in him being mocked and spurned.
What is his name? Hyacinth Bucket?
Peanut42
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm ashamed of people who still feel they belong to a certain class. Even more so by people who strive to be something they're not.

You are who you are, deal with it!
louisedotcom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Im not quite sure what class I fall under so I dont really know what im supposed to be ashamed/proud of. Theres nothing (in my opinon) atleast to be ashamed about if you come from a working class background, or any class for that matter. Its the kind of person you are as a result of that background whats important.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jake22)
What is his name? Hyacinth Bucket?
It's Bouquet. :mad:
Coco.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
haha!
never will i be ashamed. in fact, i love it.
Jake22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Glutamic Acid)
It's actually Buckét
Glutamic Acid
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Jake22)
It's actually Buckét
Ah, touche + (accent).
Darkness123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MSB)
I'm ashamed of humanity as a whole.
I feel the same way about humanity.
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by greyspring)
not a suprise there.

Personally im proud of my class, im working class i was born into it i work within it nad il probably die within it,

I know some middleclass people and i dont like some of them much. they have a superiority complex that makes me want to kick them hard in the shins
brightxburns
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I guess I am middle-class by association (my parents). I don't see any reason to be ashamed of whatever class you are. It's such an outdated classification, anyway.
Asclepius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm middle class by where my parents are now, but they were brought up in working class homes, so I get the best of both. I'm not ashamed of my class, but I'm not proud either, I feel like its worthless, it doesn't make you a better or worse person
SilverWings
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I assume you have to know what class you are in order to have any feelings surrounding it, so no.
AsphyxiateD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't really know what class I fall under... my parents don't earn an awful money but we do well with what we have and I like our house and especially what's in it :/

I don't act like I come from my area, though... I don't have the accent at all (apparently sound like I'm from Cambridge/Wiltshire o_O, even though I'm from near Birmingham), etc.
* Catrin *
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SilverWings)
I assume you have to know what class you are in order to have any feelings surrounding it, so no.

^^ agreed!
dh00001
Report 10 years ago
no, people can lable me what they want.
hermaphrodite
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
No. Not at all.

I'm Proud.
Jake22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Funnily enough, I have never been ashamed of class (or indeed been particularly class concious) but I do find that I feel ashamed (not ashamed; embarrased would be a better word) of being a student. I was chatting to some bloke in a pub the other day and then he said "So, what do you do?" and I was almost cringing as I answered that I was currently a student.
This Is Not A Username
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm ashamed of my class.... my form class at school. They aren't very clever.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (134)
27.29%
No (357)
72.71%

Watched Threads