The Student Room Group

Anxiety inertia ruining my studies

Exams are just a few days away and I know I'm not going to do well. I can't bring myself to work because I'm so anxious my mind just goes completely blank and I just feel so hopeless and terrified. I don't know what I will do when exams come along. Everyone I've talked to has tried to help me but it's just not working.
Original post by lefide
Exams are just a few days away and I know I'm not going to do well. I can't bring myself to work because I'm so anxious my mind just goes completely blank and I just feel so hopeless and terrified. I don't know what I will do when exams come along. Everyone I've talked to has tried to help me but it's just not working.

Spend this evening making a plan from tomorrow through to when your exams are. You need to be realistic with how much you allocate so you don’t get ill from doing too much, but also work hard so that you maximise your time. Make a list of everything you need to cover for each subject and number each subject list in order of priority (aka things that you need to do the most work for that you find harder).

Then you need to print off some kind of calendar so you can write all your exam dates and times in and work out how to fit in the various topic revision around each. Try to plan it to cover it in time- e.g. if you have 5 days to an exam and 4 topics to cover, you’re looking at a topic a day for part of your revision each day, plus some time going back over on the last day. Get a parent to help if you can, especially if you struggle with structuring your schedule. Making a schedule will give you some focus, feel less stressed because you’ll see you have time to cover a fair bit, and a direction rather than aimlessly trying to motivate yourself to revise when you just feel stressed about how much there is to do. You’re probably feeling stressed because you feel like it’s too late and you’ve run out of time, and the panic makes you lose any motivation. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest