Addicted to self-help articles Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ever since I was 13, I’ve been addicted to reading self-help books and articles. I find them really helpful and they’ve helped me understand myself on a ‘deeper’ level, as well as prompted me to seek counselling.

However, I feel like I’m too addicted. I spend most of my time reading them these days; apart from going for walks, it’s my main hobby, as sad as that sounds. And sometimes it gets overwhelming reading them, but I can’t seem to stop.

Like I just want to be happy in life... it’s as if part of me thinks that just reading the articles will make me happier but that’s not true.

I don’t know what I’m looking for here... anyone relate?
rnl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ever since I was 13, I’ve been addicted to reading self-help books and articles. I find them really helpful and they’ve helped me understand myself on a ‘deeper’ level, as well as prompted me to seek counselling.

However, I feel like I’m too addicted. I spend most of my time reading them these days; apart from going for walks, it’s my main hobby, as sad as that sounds. And sometimes it gets overwhelming reading them, but I can’t seem to stop.

Like I just want to be happy in life... it’s as if part of me thinks that just reading the articles will make me happier but that’s not true.

I don’t know what I’m looking for here... anyone relate?
I relate slightly. I love reading about how celebrities have died- like Amy Winehouse, Sharon Tate, Karen Carpenter, etc all the tragic deaths. I used to do loads of quizzes on my mental health as I loved to label myself (still do). I never really found a reason behind it but it fed my depression and I think it was to try and dramatise my depression and make me seem worse than I was (which eventually made me worse). Hope this somehow helps aha
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
do you like podcasts? i'm addicted to self help podcasts (Tony Robins and that kind of stuff).

we could have worse addictions, i reckon. i think my podcasts improve my mood at least for a bit, and i bet i've improved by life about 10 percent, which doesn't sound like a lot but 10 percent is better than zero percent.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by rnl)
I relate slightly. I love reading about how celebrities have died- like Amy Winehouse, Sharon Tate, Karen Carpenter, etc all the tragic deaths. I used to do loads of quizzes on my mental health as I loved to label myself (still do). I never really found a reason behind it but it fed my depression and I think it was to try and dramatise my depression and make me seem worse than I was (which eventually made me worse). Hope this somehow helps aha
Yeah I have autobiographies of Priscilla Presley and Michael Jackson. It’s so interesting to get an insight of their minds.

And omg I do those quizzes too. This morning it was ‘what’s my attachment style’. That’s understandable about the depression. Sometimes it’s unhealthy to obsess too much over your mind.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joleee)
do you like podcasts? i'm addicted to self help podcasts (Tony Robins and that kind of stuff).

we could have worse addictions, i reckon. i think my podcasts improve my mood at least for a bit, and i bet i've improved by life about 10 percent, which doesn't sound like a lot but 10 percent is better than zero percent.
Hmm I’ve never tried podcasts before. And that’s good about improving your mood! Self-help can be really motivating sometimes, but other times I find it makes me restless and irritated because I just want to put it into practice but I have no opportunities to lol.
Joleee
Report 1 year ago
Hmm I’ve never tried podcasts before. And that’s good about improving your mood! Self-help can be really motivating sometimes, but other times I find it makes me restless and irritated because I just want to put it into practice but I have no opportunities to lol.
you said you like walking so you need to start the podcasts!! lol

seriously, i'm so very addicted. they're all free, just download the iTunes app or whatever it is.

what i like about Tony specifically is he lectures on our ability to change our minds. i still need lots and lots of work, but like i said i'm at least a little bit better.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joleee)
you said you like walking so you need to start the podcasts!! lol

seriously, i'm so very addicted. they're all free, just download the iTunes app or whatever it is.

what i like about Tony specifically is he lectures on our ability to change our minds. i still need lots and lots of work, but like i said i'm at least a little bit better.
I’ll have a look into that. But I think I want to wean myself off self-help a little bit, but I still might give Tony a go, he sounds good and it’s great that you’re getting better

I feel that I want to develop hobbies outside of self-help so I spend less time on it.
Joleee
Report 1 year ago
I’ll have a look into that. But I think I want to wean myself off self-help a little bit, but I still might give Tony a go, he sounds good and it’s great that you’re getting better

I feel that I want to develop hobbies outside of self-help so I spend less time on it.
yes, do what you need to do. my very good friend is also addicted to self help stuff and now she wants to be a life coach. true story. so don't worry, you're not the only addicted one.
rnl
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I have autobiographies of Priscilla Presley and Michael Jackson. It’s so interesting to get an insight of their minds.

And omg I do those quizzes too. This morning it was ‘what’s my attachment style’. That’s understandable about the depression. Sometimes it’s unhealthy to obsess too much over your mind.
Yeah it is. I did a quiz 2 years ago which told me I was a masochist. I still label myself so but I wish I hadn’t obsessed so much because it just gave me something else to be dramatic about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (279)
47.94%
No (67)
11.51%
I'm not old enough (236)
40.55%

Watched Threads