imdyingplzhelp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im excited about AH English too! Currently thinking of doing the Handmaid's tale ( but maybe this is overdone??) and the colour purple with the theme of female power/ lack of it. Or also considering exploring intersectional feminism through historical books i.e. with the colour purple and I know why the caged bird sings??
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by G.K2001)
I really need help on what to do my dissertation on. I’m interested in drama, as in plays and musicals etc, so I’d like to write mines on something drama related. I’m so lost as to where to even start, any ideas on a topic(s)?
Anyone able to offer any advice? ^^^
ellie1964
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Anyone able to offer any advice? ^^^
Have you looked at the Shetland Advanced Higher Dissertation book list? They’ve got books/plays/poems by themes and author which would be a worthwhile read. See if anything catches your eye there. If not, what do you enjoy reading? What sort of genre or theme would you like to explore? Any particular setting like the Deep South for example? Do you like a TV series based on a play/novel or a musical perhaps? I’d start just jotting down some ideas, anything that comes to mind, and maybe browse your local library. See if anything catches your eye. One thing my teacher said was to avoid dystopian fiction like the Handmaid’s Tale and 1984 because they’re approaching being overdone. That’s all the advice I can really give for now, I’m still doing the reading for mine! Good luck
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ellie1964)
Have you looked at the Shetland Advanced Higher Dissertation book list? They’ve got books/plays/poems by themes and author which would be a worthwhile read. See if anything catches your eye there. If not, what do you enjoy reading? What sort of genre or theme would you like to explore? Any particular setting like the Deep South for example? Do you like a TV series based on a play/novel or a musical perhaps? I’d start just jotting down some ideas, anything that comes to mind, and maybe browse your local library. See if anything catches your eye. One thing my teacher said was to avoid dystopian fiction like the Handmaid’s Tale and 1984 because they’re approaching being overdone. That’s all the advice I can really give for now, I’m still doing the reading for mine! Good luck
G.K2001 ^ Really helpful answer to your question here
Ben1245
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was thinking of doing a good amount of 1 poets poetry. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If not then I will most likely do The Catcher in the rye and The Trick is to Keep Breathing and focus on the theme of a breakdown
alexold
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Boatswain)
Guten tag everybody, I did the AH English course last year so if anyone has any questions feel free to ask! I just read through the thread, and I would strongly advice against doing any dystopia if you’ve heard of it before (The Handmaid’s Tale, 1984, Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World are overdone to death) and I’d say the same about Jane Austen and Bronte; people have got full marks on analyses of Pride and Prejudice and Emma - there’s a fantastic one on the understanding standards page - but again, as it is a common choice your dissertation will have to be that bit more involved and unorthodox to do well in comparison to, say, postcolonial literature (which is, sort of, what I did). You’re not going to immediately do well if you pick the latter, and you’re not immediately going to do poorly with the former, it’s just harder to stand out, if you get me? As for other advice regarding choices, don’t do any books writtten in the last twenty years, as getting resources on them might actually cost money, don’t choose great hulking books like War and Peace (just not worth it) or Moby **** (which is fantastic, but analysing it in 3000 words isn’t going to end well) as it just takes too long to get a good grasp on the text, do choose novels you can sink your teeth into, but don’t bite off more than you can chew (I did 100 Years of Solitude and there was just too much to write about) and most of all enjoy the course! This might be the last time you’ll study english, so take the opportunity to read deeply and think critically whilst having some fun... You’ll miss it (promise).
This is such a helpful post, thank you so much! I just wanted to check - a book I'm thinking of writing about is The Woodlanders by Hardy. What do you think about this, considering the fact it's maybe not written about all that much etc - would you say that's for good reason?
Boatswain
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yo, glad that ramble was of some help! I’mma be straight with you chief, my knowledge of Hardy is pretty poor - I’m not particularly keen on literary realism honestly, but maybe that will change when I bother to read some of it - but I can’t say I’ve seen anyone do the Woodlanders before. Hardy himself is a fairly common choice; I had a friend who did Tess of the D’Urbervilles and another of his, but I would say that going for a respected author’s *lesser* known works is a good idea, so without knowing much more about it I wouldn’t think it a bad choice. I had a wikipedia of it and there seems to be plenty to talk about, so yeah, go for it I’d say! Just so long as you have something good to pair it up with of course. Oh, and I’m like a week late at this point, but to any lads perusing this thread i hope results day went well!
alexold
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yo, glad that ramble was of some help! I’mma be straight with you chief, my knowledge of Hardy is pretty poor - I’m not particularly keen on literary realism honestly, but maybe that will change when I bother to read some of it - but I can’t say I’ve seen anyone do the Woodlanders before. Hardy himself is a fairly common choice; I had a friend who did Tess of the D’Urbervilles and another of his, but I would say that going for a respected author’s *lesser* known works is a good idea, so without knowing much more about it I wouldn’t think it a bad choice. I had a wikipedia of it and there seems to be plenty to talk about, so yeah, go for it I’d say! Just so long as you have something good to pair it up with of course. Oh, and I’m like a week late at this point, but to any lads perusing this thread i hope results day went well!
Thank you!
aronofskygal
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys..

So, I have decided to do my dissertation on six of Sylvia Plath's poems, to be precise they are:

Daddy
Ariel
The Arrival of the Bee Box
Lady Lazarus
Edge
Medusa

The comparison will be something in regards to death or mental illness.
I know Plath may have been overdone in recent years but can anyone offer me an idea of a title or whether or not I should be okay doing this as my dissertation topic?
TheBritishKoala
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I got redirected over to this thread and could do with some added help-

The two books I am reading for my dissertation are "Dracula" by Bram Stoker and "Interview with the Vampire" by Anne Rice. I have found some reliable sources on the female characters in Dracula and how they're sexualised, but wouldn't know how to put this into a full-length dissertation, or even how to phrase the thing properly (does that make sense idek 😂)

Thank you all for your help!
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
:wavey:

Thanks scottishst25 for making this thread and great to see so many people using it and helping each other out!

If anyone is up for it, please feel free to make a more general Advanced Higher English exam thread for this year, so you can discuss and help each other out with all aspects of the course. Just let me know and I can get it added in to the shiny new 2018-19 SQA Exam Threads Directory!

Spoiler:
Show

(Original post by scottishst25)
X
(Original post by username4066948)
X
(Original post by jessica1677)
X
X
(Original post by ellie1964)
X
(Original post by Ben1245)
X
(Original post by alexold)
X
(Original post by aronofskygal)
X
(Original post by breaththinkdream)
X

Jen_wright
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Our teacher still hasn't spoken to us about our dissertations yer even though its midway through the year. I was thinking about looking at You by Caroline Kepnes and Wuthering Heights looking at obsessive love or something along those lines, thoughts???
ellie1964
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Jen_wright)
Our teacher still hasn't spoken to us about our dissertations yer even though its midway through the year. I was thinking about looking at You by Caroline Kepnes and Wuthering Heights looking at obsessive love or something along those lines, thoughts???
That’s not an ideal situation! I would say, to make life a bit easier for yourself, you don’t actually have to do two texts. If you have one that’s substantial enough you should be fine. I’ve not read those two texts but I’m sure if you can find a strong enough connection you could do it. Have you read both texts and made brief notes? If so, I would go for it. But if you haven’t and because you’ve got less time now, I’d just go for one and know that text inside out. Hope this helps - I’m still trying to put mine together!
Lilcharz
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey do u have any other ideas of advance higher books to compare to the handmaid tale instead of using George Orwell I use it in the context of female not having freedom and being controlled
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads