Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay I run regularly, usually in the mornings, or evenings... I can run for ages but I get a constant build up of phlegm in my throat. I realise this is normal.. but is there anyway to mitigate it? The only reason I stop is to expel the phlegm and it's just rather annoying, also what causes it, I'm guessin it's somethin to do with the temp/humidity outside.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably a very odd suggestion but it worked very well for me, especially when my allergies are in full force.

That is simply mixing lemon juice with water (mild sorta strength). Works a treat for me!

ReputationRep:
    It might depend on whether you breathe in through your nose or in through your mouth while running.

Nasal breathing humidifies and warms the air, when you breathe in through your nose you don't get this effect which can dry out to some degree your respiratory tract. Your body then compensates by producing excessive amounts of mucus to protect your respiratory tract cell membranes and help promote gaseous exchange. This effect can be enhanced in low humidity and low temperature environments.

Try breathing through your nose. It may hinder your performance initially but you body will develop and become stronger (especially your respiratory muscles). Plus apparently nasal breathing reduces blood cortisol levels, heart rate, etc which are all good.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks ch0c0h01ic, interesting post.

ReputationRep:
    The lemon adnd water trick helps. You can also have hot water and lemon. I' very mucussy during the winter and running even inside makes my nose run and my throat icky but I just get on with it but it does wind me up - I struggle to run outside in the winter and end up having to empty my nose somehow..... eww.

ReputationRep:
    It happens to pretty much everyone, annoying I must say

ReputationRep:
    Apart from lemon juice, green tea works very well for me.
    Also - I carry a hankie in my pocket and I am good to go for the rest of the day, post the run.
    Have fun

ReputationRep:
    i feel at the moment im at a relatively high fitness level running wise (around 15.20 5k shape) and ona ll my long runs lately iv constantly been coughing up!!! its really annoying but i just try to keep getting rid of it so that on my fast paced/shorter stuff i will hopefully be clear

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.