AxSirlotl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...hapter%204.pdf

Exercise D, Question 19

The only thing I'm confused by is that in the worked solution they've stated that friction is acting down the slope. The box is on the point of moving down the slope, so what I'm gathering from this is that the friction is acting in the direction of motion (whereas I thought that friction always opposed the direction of movement, so shouldn't it act up the slope to oppose the forces acting down the slope)? Also the diagram is confusing me since I can't identify any forces acting up the slope to prevent it from moving down the slope.

Thanks.
Justvisited
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes you're right, they're wrong to draw the frictional force down the slope instead of up it. Apart from that, though, they don't actually state in words that the friction is down the slope, as you've claimed. Once you turn that downward force into an upward one, the friction force equation and its solution are correct.
AxSirlotl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
Yes you're right, they're wrong to draw the frictional force down the slope instead of up it. Apart from that, though, they don't actually state in words that the friction is down the slope, as you've claimed. Once you turn that downward force into an upward one, the friction force equation and its solution are correct.
I don't know if this is related to the friction issue but I got my answer to be the answer they gave but x (-1). I defined up the slope as positive so could that be why?
Justvisited
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Could well be, since the imposed force has a downward component, but of course you need to consider the force as an absolute value, so positive.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (27)
5.73%
Uncertainty around my education (53)
11.25%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (56)
11.89%
Lack of purpose or motivation (62)
13.16%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (26)
5.52%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.46%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (49)
10.4%
Financial worries (29)
6.16%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (31)
6.58%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.97%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (46)
9.77%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.07%

Watched Threads