The Student Room Group

Warwick vs Durham

I have a place at the University of Warwick to study English Literature; and at Durham University to study Liberal Arts.
I much prefer the course at Warwick, but Durham is great in so many other ways, in terms of the beauty and history of the city, the collegiate system, the facilities (especially the library) and its overall reputation.
I genuinely don’t know what to do, they are both amazing but both so different it is difficult to compare them.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and recieved.
I'm too young for uni, but I have a cousin at Durham who loves the uni, but shes on a different course, I can't speak on Warwick though
Reply 2
Original post by Phoebee1998
I have a place at the University of Warwick to study English Literature; and at Durham University to study Liberal Arts.
I much prefer the course at Warwick, but Durham is great in so many other ways, in terms of the beauty and history of the city, the collegiate system, the facilities (especially the library) and its overall reputation.
I genuinely don’t know what to do, they are both amazing but both so different it is difficult to compare them.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and recieved.

Pick the course you prefer, that's the primary reason for going to university.

Edit to add: it may or may not be relevant to note The Guardian rates Durham higher than Warwick, including student satisfaction with the course and teaching.

University guide 2019: league table for English & creative writing
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2018/may/29/university-guide-2019-league-table-for-english-creative-writing?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
As course content seems to be the important factor, I would look very closely at what is being offered and how it is assessed. Read and read again, make notes.

Quality of life is important too; if you can get down and have a look at the cities, make sure you do. The experience of the city is just as important as course content! No point going somewhere for a course you like but for which you have to suffer a terrible town.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
Pick the course you prefer, that's the primary reason for going to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That’s what my head is telling me.
My heart is saying something different 😂
Reply 5
That’s what my head is telling me.
My heart is saying something different 😂

See my edit to that post :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Notoriety
As course content seems to be the important factor, I would look very closely at what is being offered and how it is assessed. Read and read again, make notes.

Quality of life is important too; if you can get down and have a look at the cities, make sure you do. The experience of the city is just as important as course content! No point going somewhere for a course you like but for which you have to suffer a terrible town.

I absolutely loved Durham as a city when I visited.
Warwick campus was very nice and definitely somewhere I’d be happy to live, just not in the same league as Durham.
I loved the collegiate system at Durham and the formality of it all as I think it would be super easy to make friends as part of a college. Though I guess I’ll make friends wherever I go.
The prestige thing worries me a bit too - Warwick is a brilliant uni but I wonder if it has the same “wow” factor as Durham.
I’m just worried that even though I love the course at Warwick, I’ll end up regretting going there.
See my edit to that post :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks.
Obviously English Literature is what I applied for and though I can do is as part of my degree at Durham (they offered me Liberal Arts), I kind of want to do straight English.
Reply 8
Thanks.
Obviously English Literature is what I applied for and though I can do is as part of my degree at Durham (they offered me Liberal Arts), I kind of want to do straight English.

So you have Liberal Arts at Durham or English at Warwick. That's quite different...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I absolutely loved Durham as a city when I visited.
Warwick campus was very nice and definitely somewhere I’d be happy to live, just not in the same league as Durham.
I loved the collegiate system at Durham and the formality of it all as I think it would be super easy to make friends as part of a college. Though I guess I’ll make friends wherever I go.
The prestige thing worries me a bit too - Warwick is a brilliant uni but I wonder if it has the same “wow” factor as Durham.
I’m just worried that even though I love the course at Warwick, I’ll end up regretting going there.

Anyone who would say "wow" because you went to Durham rather than Warwick is not someone you want to be associated with. Visiting Durham and actually walking from one end to the other, up the nasty hills and back, is quite a different thing. But if you want formals and old buildings, and lots of trips to Barcelona, give Durham a bash.

My original comment urging you to look again at course content came from much scepticism that one course is materially more enjoyable than the other. I suspect they are rather as interesting as one another, but one course's perception has been more effectively massaged by PR spin. Of course, I could be wrong, but just make sure you have a good old look at everything in minutiae.
I agree with what other posters have said, course content is the most important thing. That said, I'm curious why you prefer Warwick's course. I've had a look at the modules at each uni and Durham has a much more comprehensive choice of modules. What does Warwick's course have that Durham doesn't?

So you have Liberal Arts at Durham or English at Warwick. That's quite different...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbf it's not that different, in theory a Liberal Arts student could take all the same modules that an English Lit student could, just not as many. I believe that Liberal Arts students can take half their first year modules, and up to two-thirds of their second and third year modules in the same subject (in this case, English).
(edited 5 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know haha! Durham said that, though I wasn’t accepted for English, they wanted to offer me a place on the Liberal Arts course instead.
Original post by Notoriety
Anyone who would say "wow" because you went to Durham rather than Warwick is not someone you want to be associated with. Visiting Durham and actually walking from one end to the other, up the nasty hills and back, is quite a different thing. But if you want formals and old buildings, and lots of trips to Barcelona, give Durham a bash.

My original comment urging you to look again at course content came from much scepticism that one course is materially more enjoyable than the other. I suspect they are rather as interesting as one another, but one course's perception has been more effectively massaged by PR spin. Of course, I could be wrong, but just make sure you have a good old look at everything in minutiae.

I quite like the walks haha, they’re steep but at least it’s picturesque. I quite like the formality of it, but it’s not the most important thing to me.
I think the Warwick course appeals to me as I want to do straight English. Obviously with Durham offering me a different course, I would only be able to do half of my degree in English, and that’s not guaranteed as those modules are very popular:
Original post by Snufkin
I agree with what other posters have said, course content is the most important thing. That said, I'm curious why you prefer Warwick's course. I've had a look at the modules at each uni and Durham has a much more comprehensive choice of modules. What does Warwick's course have that Durham doesn't?

Tbf it's not that different, in theory a Liberal Arts student could take all the same modules that an English Lit student could, just not as many. I believe that Liberal Arts students can take half their first year modules, and up to two-thirds of their second and third year modules in the same subject (in this case, English).

I’d prefer to do straight English which is why I prefer the course at Warwick. At Durham I can only do up to half my degree in English, and that’s not guaranteed as English modules are popular and oversubscribed. I don’t really know what other subjects I’d do alongside (except a research methods module which I was going to do as an optional anyway). Warwick’s course also seems to cover a broader range of literature.
I'm a second year liberal arts student at Durham, majoring in English lit, art history and Japanese studies. I'll be speaking from what I know as a Durham student, and I'm biased since I love being a liberal arts student.

If you'd like to focus on English alone, liberal arts won't let you do that, in first year you have to take modules from at least 2 departments to fill up 120 credits-iirc not more than 680 credits in one department However, as a LA student you may choose other modules (such as history, philosophy, or art history)that also connect, or provide insights or context on understanding literature.

You will however, have to very carefully select your module choices if you want to do this. While English is oversubscribed, I've no issue at all with getting into the oversubscribed modules (I got into a 40 student only module late after I changed my mind), as the liberal arts director is very friendly and works very hard for the benefit of liberal arts students.

Also, while I'm unsure how it is in Warwick, Durham's English department loves making their modules 100% exam based, with only 1 or 2 formatives a year (which don't contribute towards your module grade). I found this stressful, even if some of them are open-book. You might consider that. I felt this opposed the purpose if literary studies -rather than studying texts to think critically about them and proposing a well-thought, well-constructed argument, you'd vomit out something within 3 hours of an exam. This is quite important in choosing modules, as you can burn out easily when you have exams like this. It also depends if you work better in such conditions.

I'd advise you to also look at 2nd and 3rd year modules, as they'll give you a further idea on what you'd like in your degree. Some are lecture based (lectures with seminars where you discuss) and some are seminar based (discussion with the class and seminar leader with no lectures). Durham has quite a wide range, although they do change as some are taught by staff that are here for only a year or two.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by arthistorynerd
I'm a second year liberal arts student at Durham, majoring in English lit, art history and Japanese studies. I'll be speaking from what I know as a Durham student, and I'm biased since I love being a liberal arts student.

If you'd like to focus on English alone, liberal arts won't let you do that, in first year you have to take modules from at least 2 departments to fill up 120 credits-iirc not more than 680 credits in one department However, as a LA student you may choose other modules (such as history, philosophy, or art history)that also connect, or provide insights or context on understanding literature.

You will however, have to very carefully select your module choices if you want to do this. While English is oversubscribed, I've no issue at all with getting into the oversubscribed modules (I got into a 40 student only module late after I changed my mind), as the liberal arts director is very friendly and works very hard for the benefit of liberal arts students.

Also, while I'm unsure how it is in Warwick, Durham's English department loves making their modules 100% exam based, with only 1 or 2 formatives a year (which don't contribute towards your module grade). I found this stressful, even if some of them are open-book. You might consider that. I felt this opposed the purpose if literary studies -rather than studying texts to think critically about them and proposing a well-thought, well-constructed argument, you'd vomit out something within 3 hours of an exam. This is quite important in choosing modules, as you can burn out easily when you have exams like this. It also depends if you work better in such conditions.

I'd advise you to also look at 2nd and 3rd year modules, as they'll give you a further idea on what you'd like in your degree. Some are lecture based (lectures with seminars where you discuss) and some are seminar based (discussion with the class and seminar leader with no lectures). Durham has quite a wide range, although they do change as some are taught by staff that are here for only a year or two.

Thank you, that is so helpful. I’m looking at doing philosophy and sociology as well (as I want to do a research methods module for employability). I’m coming round more to Durham now. What college are you at? I’ve been allocated Trevelyan. Do you know much about Trevelyan?
Thank you, that is so helpful. I’m looking at doing philosophy and sociology as well (as I want to do a research methods module for employability). I’m coming round more to Durham now. What college are you at? I’ve been allocated Trevelyan. Do you know much about Trevelyan?

What did you decide to do in the end?

I have applied for History this year, although I have no reply as of yet. I have come across this thread and now researched the Liberal Arts degree, and if Durham rejected me for History and instead gave me an offer for LA, I would actually be quite happy. It sounds really interesting! Why do you think they gave you an offer for LA, and not English? They are both quite competitive courses.

I have a place for Warwick though currently. It is my backup, so I would be interested in hearing what you think about it if you did decide to go there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by arthistorynerd

Just out of interest, what did you write your personal statement about?

It sounds really hard to focus on so many subjects (and show you are actually GOOD) in such a short character-limit!

Latest

Trending

Trending