Cost of taxis in London Watch

01zaporozhets
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I just want some very rough estimates please.

How much would one be from Paddington station to the O2 Arena (the old Millenium Dome)? It's just that I know they can be stupidly expensive and I don't want any nasty surprises when I get there, e.g. it turning out to be 5 times as much as the train fare :/

(I know I could take the bus/tube, but im getting there only just in time and I don't know London at all well, so Id rather not)

thanks
britishseapower
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what sort of distance are we talking? I can't remember the taxi being any dearer than anywhere else in England when I visited London but the price of a pint of beer certainly was!
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's 10 miles, so I'd imagine it will be pricey, in any city.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say somewhere between £30-50.
01zaporozhets
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok, that's roughly what I expected, thanks.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
why not get the underground??
gooseymcgoose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would expect the tube to be significantly faster. Have never driven that route, but my job involved taking taxis in central london a lot last year and they actually can take hours.
Paeony
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Had to take a London taxi a few weeks ago and a 2 1/2 mile journey cost £11. So I'd guess you're looking at a minimum of £50 there, and the same again back. I agree with gooseymcgoose though, the tube would probably be a hack of lot faster and it'll only be about £7/£8 for a travel card. You can plan out your journey with the TFL journey planner, tubes etc seem confusing at first but they're really not. I had a quick look, and it says it'll take an hour by public transport - I really doubt that a taxi'll do it that much faster.
toddlers crossword
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)
I'd say somewhere between £30-50.
:eek: my god thats expensive! remind me never to get a taxi in London! I'm used to Sheffield where a cab has never cost me more than £5.50, lol
KerriT
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Kings cross to Canary Wharf cost £32 the other week.
mollymustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by toddlers crossword)
:eek: my god thats expensive! remind me never to get a taxi in London! I'm used to Sheffield where a cab has never cost me more than £5.50, lol
Congestion charges and extreme traffic make it so expensive to be honest. And if you get a black cab, well its only fair to charge that much really.

I'm excited about Sheffield now, if its that cheap I can become a lazy thing
alanmcg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Taxi drivers don't have to pay the congestion charge.. The real cost is simply that taxi drivers must live in London to work in London and living in London is far more expensive than elsewhere.
brimstone
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What time will it be?

Rates increase after seven in the evening.
undercover agent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
takes 34 minutes on the tube

take a bakerloo line train, get off it at Baker Street

get a jubilee line train from there, get off it at North Greenwich.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...lateDistance=1
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by toddlers crossword)
If you go across Sheffield four times with twice the congestion - London looks good value. :p:
toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)
Congestion charges and extreme traffic make it so expensive to be honest. And if you get a black cab, well its only fair to charge that much really.

I'm excited about Sheffield now, if its that cheap I can become a lazy thing
I got a taxi to my lecture the other morning cos I'd left it too late to walk, I felt very extravagant!! Really shouldn't make a habit of it, but, its a forty minute walk and I'm barely awake enough to stumble out the door in the morning, never mind walk anywhere
toddlers crossword
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
If you go across Sheffield four times with twice the congestion - London looks good value. :p:
That is a fair point, and one of the reasons I'm glad I live in Shef!
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
On the tube (paddington --> the O2) + a little walk (9 mins well signposted) = 43 mins.

Take the tube.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (221)
28.01%
No (568)
71.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed