OCR 2888: Economics in a European Context Watch

jameskelsall
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Veni_vidi)
i've been meaning to discuss about the diagram that might be useful to use for this paper, thanks jameskelsall
(Original post by boyz123)
Oh that is a good collection .Thanks
No probs guys
Veni_vidi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by 5star)
So much talk about fiscal harmonization can someone please expain clearly what it means please..thanks
read this:

http://tutor2u.net/economics/revisio...monisation.pdf

it might help if you make it relevant to the case study when reading it as some of the points in there are not relevant to the case study.
but it's useful on the whole
Veni_vidi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
am at the stage where i dont know what to revise anymore but am still feeling like i've missed out something.
anyone else feeling like this?
amandeep12
Report 10 years ago
Hi people i got another question to get you warmed up

Dicuss what would happen to Aggregate supply if government intervines in the automotive market to correct market failure? [20 Marks]
boyz123
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Veni_vidi)
am at the stage where i dont know what to revise anymore but am still feeling like i've missed out something.
anyone else feeling like this?
yep me.
I feel in some questions, there are two many points to mention and analyse but may get nowhere sometimes.
amandeep12
Report 10 years ago
thanx anyway ploop it still helps make a start
Veni_vidi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by amandeep12)
Hi people i got another question to get you warmed up

Dicuss what would happen to Aggregate supply if government intervines in the automotive market to correct market failure? [20 Marks]
micro----i'm assuming supply would be restricted or decreased, if the intervention leads to higher prices(taxation) demand would decrease however this depends on the elasticity and the suppliers decision on whether to pass the costs to consumers.

macro---if the govt uses taxation to correct market failure, this would increase firms costs, output is likely to decrease and unemployment to increase, this will decrease aggregate supply.
if the costs are passed on to households then consumption will decrease if demand for cars is inelastic, this will cause AD to fall and AS to decrease(depending on where AD was originally positioned on the LRAS curve).

this is not enough for a 20 mark question, consider other factors that would be affected by the intervention and the nature of the intervention and it's likely impact on AS.

i hope we get something like this, i like anything to do with AS or AD, makes life simple
matz92
Report 10 years ago
what's a value added service?:confused:
jameskelsall
Report 10 years ago
Hi,

I know this has been reffered to before but I'd be grateful if someone could explain it in a little more detail...I understand how concentrated markets lead to more abnormal profit, just not the following....

If the UK joined the eurozone, why might this lead to markets becoming more concentrated? (as in less firms)

thanks
Veni_vidi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
come on my revision buddies, you're all gone quite, we need more questions....:p:
Veni_vidi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jameskelsall)
Hi,

If the UK joined the eurozone, why might this lead to markets becoming more concentrated? (as in less firms)

thanks
good question, havent thought about it though
Veni_vidi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by matz92)
what's a value added service?:confused:
services rather than manufacturing i think e.g. financial services, Research
wiseman01
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by jameskelsall)
Hi,

I know this has been reffered to before but I'd be grateful if someone could explain it in a little more detail...I understand how concentrated markets lead to more abnormal profit, just not the following....

thanks
I think in short, there will be greater competition, and abnormal profits will fall. Therefore to preserve economies of scale, there will be more mergers and acquisitions, which joins firms together and therefore there will eventually be fewer, but larger firms.
Lili!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with wiseman01.. very wise! ha hah..
ha erm yeah, firms would lose market share and so could do the whole rationalisation thing where they reduce capacity and their number of employees to return to profitability.. And like wiseman said they could engage in more mergers & acquisitions to reduce unit costs, e.g. sharing R&D costs, which would make the market more concentrated. ALSO merging together could be a tactic to try to successfully enter the CEE market.
maybe? sounds pretty logical.. gahh i hope we get nice questions on friday!
exams52
Report 10 years ago
can someone tell me the meaning of rationalisation please?!
Veni_vidi
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by exams52)
can someone tell me the meaning of rationalisation please?!
rationalisation aims to streamline the business and reduce costs eventually, when firms merge they share the available resources and get rid of extra resources such as car plants or offices and they share R&D.
Lili!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hell yeeahh
sophieliu85
Report 10 years ago
anyone screwed the development paper??
sophieliu85
Report 10 years ago
suprisingly enough.... my teacher gave us the same charts as the one u posted...do they get these frm the OCR board?
boyz123
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
I probably did lol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads