OCR 2888: Economics in a European Context Watch

lizi100
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by DaveyBoy06)
If a university offers you a conditional place at uni that says you need to achieve 300 Ucas tariff points and you get 290.. is there a chance you could still get in? Would u have to ring up and practically beg or would you have no chance at all?
Definatly ring up!!! Never know what they will say. worst come to worst you will be rejected, but at least u know u tried to persuade them
myxm7
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Alessandro_22)
There are interventions in the price mechanisims, subsidies and taxes

Command and control measures such as regulations and fines

Market based incentives such as the carbon emission eu scheme
brilliant thanks a lot. i've lost marks in the past for failing to make clear distinctions between types of intervention.
Alessandro_22
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If its 290 the university may accept you, you can check the night before on UCAS, if they don't then you beg
DaveyBoy06
Report 10 years ago
If its 290 the university may accept you, you can check the night before on UCAS, if they don't then you beg
You mean check UCAS the night of the day you get your results? Do they accept or decline you as soon as you recieve your grades then? And then they update the UCAS website? Its just im really worried about this exam!!
Alessandro_22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah that was my idea on drawing it that way and yeah thats the one discussed in the material and information/education in my opinion would fall under command and control measures don't you think?
Lili!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Tutor2u thought of the graph! :p:

"Extra regulations are likely to increase fixed costs of car manufacturers. A rise in fixed costs has no effect on marginal cost - it simply causes an upward shift in the AC curve - so car producers ought not to raise their prices to consumers".

They were talking about regulation here, as a couple of sentences before they said "regulation does not bring in any direct tax revenue flows..". I understand this, I just don't get what would happen if a tax was applied.. surely that would cause AC and MC to rise?
Alessandro_22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought he meant in this thread, thats how I've learnt to add taxes since start of A2
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Lili!)
They were talking about regulation here, as a couple of sentences before they said "regulation does not bring in any direct tax revenue flows..". I understand this, I just don't get what would happen if a tax was applied.. surely that would cause AC and MC to rise?
I would just use a supply and demand diagram to show the effect of a tax, with the supply curve shifting inwards and the relative elasticities determining the incidence of the tax.
Lili!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hehe well your teacher is much better than mine! in the tutor2u toolkit, it said that graph was for regulation? (where AC rises but MC stays the same).. But do you think that's the same for taxation too? surely they should be different? would a tax increase MC and AC? ach, so confused!
Lili!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
I would just use a supply and demand diagram to show the effect of a tax, with the supply curve shifting inwards and the relative elasticities determining the incidence of the tax.
Yeah I guess that would be a lot easier! I was just wondering about the effect on AC and MC though.. but doesn't matter! If it's not gonna get me any marks then I'll forget about it for now!
Alessandro_22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think you should only use it for regulation, for taxes draw a supply and demand just to be safe
bbc_18
Report 10 years ago
whats the definition of globalisation?
Alessandro_22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Simply making the world into one village as my teacher put it
bbc_18
Report 10 years ago
Simply making the world into one village as my teacher put it
would i be able to use that in the exam?:confused: :confused:
bbc_18
Report 10 years ago
And also, is there a definition for transition economies? Are these just the CEE countries?
Alessandro_22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
LOL! Sorry you wanted a definition;

"integration of national economies into the international economy through trade, foreign direct investment, capital flows, migration, and the spread of technology"
myxm7
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by alex_hk90)
what would you say about elasticies, if there is a large difference in elasticies between the two supply curves; social and private this makes the tax more powerful? cheers
invicta
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
quick question really: what factors affect international competitiveness?... just thought it might come up in one form or another
Alessandro_22
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by bbc_18)
And also, is there a definition for transition economies? Are these just the CEE countries?
No they are countries that are converting from central planned economies governed by the state to economies which have no intervention or a free market.
boyz123
Badges: 1
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by invicta)
quick question really: what factors affect international competitiveness?... just thought it might come up in one form or another
Inflation , overvalue exchanged rate some more but i couldn't think of now
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?