The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hey pple was gd kinda new to this ting ..but anwyz ...i fink policies towards co2 and in general externalities will defo form a question...maybe even the 20 mark...........In terms of revision i fink you need to show understanding of all the key concepts introduced in unit 1 ( market structure ,opportunity cost etc) all the way to the U.k economy paper( comparative advantage)..i was told the key to this paper is just identifying and applying all the relevant concepts and ideas we have learnt so far to the car industry ..........Great thread ..keep up .........i am gonna post the questions from my teacher soon
Reply 81
I'm probably just being stupid. But, in Fig 1.1, World total production in 2001: 54767000. In Fig 1.2, World total sales in 2001: 56104000.
How can world sales be greater than world production?! Are we buying from the moon or something craaaazzy?
Lili!
I'm probably just being stupid. But, in Fig 1.1, World total production in 2001: 54767000. In Fig 1.2, World total sales in 2001: 56104000.
How can world sales be greater than world production?! Are we buying from the moon or something craaaazzy?

There must have been a surplus from previous years.
Reply 83
Oh yeah. Good thinking. Or we could have imported from the moon.. :p:
Lili!
Oh yeah. Good thinking. Or we could have imported from the moon.. :p:

That would have been cool. :smile:
Reply 85
To make it even more confusing ....in terms of percentage change between 2001-2005 global sales have been below world production........
Ploop
Balancing revision is difficult! I've done some essay plans (although not with conclusions and stuff, just the content I'd include).

I just had a quick glance at the document and it looks good, thanks for sharing. :smile:
If anyone wants the euro toolkit feel free to PM me for the link, its helped me in basic understanding of the relevant material behind the sources, and Alex and Ploop your work in this thread has been great!
Reply 88
does anyone have any notes/essay questions for development? I really need some help here need a new slant on the subject help me! lol (email me if poss as i can never find the same thread again...)

[email protected]

thanks
Reply 89
Hi people,

Has anybody actually seen a 2888 past paper (if so are they available onine) as there aren't any on the OCR site and i havent had chance to get any from my teacher. Whats the structure of the exam?

Also im not sure if this has been mentioned previously but i think there could be biggish question on petrol as a complimentary good to cars and how taxing it etc may curb demand and negative externalities etc
Reply 90
i have never seen a past paper either, in the tutor2u toolkit they do not mention that you need to know the EU background stuff and the mock question paper on the back does not mention this either, so i am not sure whether to learn the euro background work or not!!
Reply 91
I have the last 4 past papers.. I think they used to be available online but aren't anymore. But don't take my word for it! I don't think it's as important to see past papers for 2888 as it was for the other modules, but it's pretty useful to look at the mark schemes and stuff. If there's any way I could upload them I will but I'm not sure how to, as I only have paper copies!

About learning the EU stuff.. I think it's pretty unlikely we're gonna need to know the pros and cons of joining the eurozone and other stuff like that which hasn't come up in the case study. But know harm in knowing the basics, just in case! I guess it might be useful to know the background of the former soviet union countries, in that you could mention how their past has had an affect on their current economy/automotive industry.. But again I don't really think we'll need to know all the details about the pros and cons of state-planning. Sorry in advance if you don't revise it and then it comes up haha :p: but yeah, I'm rambling. Basically I think we can (to some extent) judge from the case study which bits of the EU syllabus are pretty unlikely to come up :smile:
Reply 92
Lili!
I have the last 4 past papers.. I think they used to be available online but aren't anymore. But don't take my word for it! I don't think it's as important to see past papers for 2888 as it was for the other modules, but it's pretty useful to look at the mark schemes and stuff. If there's any way I could upload them I will but I'm not sure how to, as I only have paper copies!

About learning the EU stuff.. I think it's pretty unlikely we're gonna need to know the pros and cons of joining the eurozone and other stuff like that which hasn't come up in the case study. But know harm in knowing the basics, just in case! I guess it might be useful to know the background of the former soviet union countries, in that you could mention how their past has had an affect on their current economy/automotive industry.. But again I don't really think we'll need to know all the details about the pros and cons of state-planning. Sorry in advance if you don't revise it and then it comes up haha :p: but yeah, I'm rambling. Basically I think we can (to some extent) judge from the case study which bits of the EU syllabus are pretty unlikely to come up :smile:

cool, thanks, yeah i think, if we are going to be asked anything on the paper it will be in context to the automotive industry, after all, the module is called economics in a european context.....

about the 4 past papers you have, it would be really helpful if you could use a scanner maybe, or just type out the questions?

thanks in advance (glad i found this thread/forum!)
Reply 93
I don't have a scanner unfortunately.. but yeeah sure I can type out the questions :smile: saves me having to revise for maths haha. Anyway..

Jan 06:
1)a) Use the data in Extract 1 to compare the relative market performance of Carrefour and Texco
b) Analyse the reasons why grocery retailers such as Metro and Tesco have sought to expand their businesses in the rest of Europe
2)Commenton the extent to which changes in the sourcing of grovery products are economically beneficial
3) Comment on whether both the European Commission and the competition authorities in member states should be concerned about the growing market power of grocery retailers
4)Discuss the likely benefits for i)UK consumers of grovery products, and ii) UK grocery retailers, that might arise from UK membership of the single currency.

Jan 07:
1)a)Using the data in Extract 1, describe the trend in gas consumption and production in Europe from 1987 to 2004
b) Using a supply and demand diagram, analyse the likely reasons for the rise in the wholesale price of gas in Europe from 1999-2004
2) Comment on the impact on EU businesses of the rise in the wholesale price of gas since 1999
3) Comment on the case for promoting greater competition in EU energy markets
4) Discuss the policies which EU member states could adopt to reduce the market failures arising from the EU's enegery consumption and production

Ok so that's two of them.. I'm having a few issues finding the others (there should be three more!). I'll keep looking and will report back later :smile: Oh and also my dad has a scanner at his office so I might be able to scan them there and somehow upload them.. as long as I'm not breaching some sort of copyright law! :p: Anyway, yeah.. I'll be back!
Reply 94
If you look on the OCR website, you can see the last 4 papers, but you have to look under mark schemes, it gives you the question and suggested content for answers....
Reply 95
I see that a few of you think fiscal harmonisation might come up, do you have any suggestions on content which would be required, so far just have that it would prevent tax competition and the pros and cons of that........
Reply 96
am scared that i will fail now, just had my 2887 which was hell, who else did 2887 today and found it difficult compared to the past exams?
Reply 97
i just did 2887 now!

what the hell! since when was unemployment explicitly written in the syllabus (apart from phillips curve and general policy objective stuff)

and the section b was just hell- they didnt really give you a choice!!
Wow this thread is really good! thanks for the guys who posted their essay plans etc, its really useful! :smile:
Reply 99
I just wondered what does this part mean in Extract 3 (a) 'A European Commission spokesperson said the Commission would not hesitate "to replace the carrot with the stick".
Does this mean that the Eurpoean Commission would not hesiate to become more harsh with the EU car manufacturers regarding CO2 emisissions?

Also, what is it with Economic Intergration? Is this a compulsary topic?
So, we need to know the levels of integrations (Market, Policy, positive and negative? and also the levels such as; Free Trade Area, Customs Union, Common or Single Market, Economic Union and Monetary Union? Also, will we have to relate this to the EU automotive industry?
My teacher also said that we should look at the oligopoly market structure as in the introduction it states 'The market is concentrated in the hands of a few major groups of companies responsible for the production of a range of brands of cars'.
Also, Trade creation and Trade diversion. Are these basically:
Trade Creation: This is where a Customs Union causes the replacement of high-cost domestic production with imports from a more efficient source and is a step towards free trade.
Trade Diversion: It says in my eco book that this occurs when joining a customs union causes trade to switch from a low cost supplier outside the union to a high cost supplier in the union?

Do the latter questions in the exam require us to explain what certain economic factors are and relate them to the EU Car Industry/Europe/case study?
Also, are we allowed to take quotes from the case study?
This exam is hard!!!:mad: