The Student Room Group

prioritizing

okay can someone PLEASE help me out here! OK so this is my situation (I don't know what to revise right now basically):

I have geography and english on TUESDAY, and maths on WEDNESDAY as many of you probably do too. And all my sciences are the week after right. I know the most obvious thing would be just revise what you have first but I really NEED to smash those science exams because I know I done really, really badly in my paper 1s so I thought an 'early' start would make all the difference. Then I've got Maths which just like Science I really have to smash after failing paper 1 miserably. I've also got Geography which I've done alright with so far but there's still a lot to learn So I've got all night, what do I revise? (I'm not going school on Monday so I have an extra day)
Reply 1
maths is on thursday
Reply 2
revise geography since that is closer, then revise science and maths.

you dont need to revise for english language
Original post by gurlll
okay can someone PLEASE help me out here! OK so this is my situation (I don't know what to revise right now basically):

I have geography and english on TUESDAY, and maths on WEDNESDAY as many of you probably do too. And all my sciences are the week after right. I know the most obvious thing would be just revise what you have first but I really NEED to smash those science exams because I know I done really, really badly in my paper 1s so I thought an 'early' start would make all the difference. Then I've got Maths which just like Science I really have to smash after failing paper 1 miserably. I've also got Geography which I've done alright with so far but there's still a lot to learn So I've got all night, what do I revise? (I'm not going school on Monday so I have an extra day)

uve described exactly what im feeling...wow
Reply 4
Original post by tyryer
maths is on thursday

oh my god it is ! I Juss realized thanks
Even though I'm doing the IGCSEs, I have the exact same subjects as you on the exact days except that I don't have geography but have pure maths. So I'm going through the exact same dilemma as you. But don't worry !

I strongly recommend you to study Geo since it has a lot of content to revise and basically memorise, and also because this is your nearest upcoming exam. English will also follow, I'm explaining-

Study Geo for 1 hour. After THAT 1 hour completion, take a 1 hour break from Geo and spend 30 to 45 mins of it doing some maths, also taking a few mins break in that short time period ! Then you'll have 5-15 mins leisure break. Then you again start your 1 hour Geo revision session. After this 2nd Geo 1 hour revision session ends, you have your 2nd 1 hour break, of which you spent about 30 to 45 mins doing maths. but THIS time, do some English practice. Then repeat the whole process, doing maths one time and English one time in the 1 hour break that u take from Geo every time. Follow this routine until you are done with the maths, geo and eng exam.

Thennnnn from the day your math exam is done, use the exact same procedure but replace the Geo with your 1st priority science (for example physics) and use the 1 hour break after that 1st priority science revision to revise for your second priority (for example, Chemistry) that you'll spend 30 to 45 mins on and have that 5 to 15 mins leisure break. Then you start your 1st priority science(physics) 1 hour revision session again and have your 2nd 1 hour break session after that, from which you use that 30-45 mins to revise your third priority science such as Biology for example. (just as you studied English in your 2nd hour break from Geo). Then repeat the whole process, doing chem one time and bio one time in the 1 hour break that u take from physics every time.

Good luck ! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Missradioactive
Even though I'm doing the IGCSEs, I have the exact same subjects as you on the exact days except that I don't have geography but have pure maths. So I'm going through the exact same dilemma as you. But don't worry !

I strongly recommend you to study Geo since it has a lot of content to revise and basically memorise, and also because this is your nearest upcoming exam.

Study Geo for 1 hour. After THAT 1 hour completion, take a 1 hour break from Geo and spend 30 to 45 mins of it doing some maths, also taking a few mins break in that short time period ! Then you'll have 5-15 mins leisure break. Then you again start your 1 hour Geo revision session. After this 2nd Geo 1 hour revision session ends, you have your 2nd 1 hour break, of which you spent about 30 to 45 mins doing maths. but THIS time, do some English practice. Then repeat the whole process, doing maths one time and English one time in the 1 hour break that u take from Geo every time. Follow this routine until you are done with the maths, geo and eng exam.

Thennnnn from the day your math exam is done, use the exact same procedure but replace the Geo with your 1st priority science (for example physics) and use the 1 hour break of that 1st priority science to revise for your second priority (for example, Chemistry) that you'll spend 30 to 45 mins on and have that 5 to 15 mins leisure break. Then you start your 1st priority science(physics) 1 hour revision session again and have your 2nd 1 hour break session from it and you use that 30-45 mins to revise your third priority science such as Biology for example. (just as you studied English in your 2nd hour break from Geo). Then repeat the whole process, doing chem one time and bio one time in the 1 hour break that u take from physics every time.

Good luck ! :smile:

thank youu that's really useful! I've actually been doing geography since I woke up this morning and there is SO MUCH TO LEARN. Do you have any tips on how I could memorize everything quickly? Especially as I take really long when revising each subject so i find it hard to time myself but thanks again (I'm gonna change my schedule now !)
Original post by gurlll
thank youu that's really useful! I've actually been doing geography since I woke up this morning and there is SO MUCH TO LEARN. Do you have any tips on how I could memorize everything quickly? Especially as I take really long when revising each subject so i find it hard to time myself but thanks again (I'm gonna change my schedule now !)

I'm glad to help !
Actually everybody has different memorization techniques, but the most common one is saying something out loud until it 'sinks in'.
You'll automatically feel it when something will sink in :smile:
This is the exact way we all memorised thousands of nursery rhymes when we were kids ! But since we become 'too aware' of surrounding stuff when we grow up, we tend to think we've lost our natural ability to memorise. But we didn't ! So make yourself potentially unaware, and just go for the memorization !
Another tip that I'll recommend is the see, cover and write method- you can definitely guess the drill from the name itself.
Best of luck ! If you need any more help, you can pm me. I hope to see you in the results day threads of this year ! And don't stress yourself out, but when you do, remind yourself that we are ALL in the same boat ! I'm dealing with exam stress too !

xxxxx :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest