University - What To Buy And What To Do Watch

deanhill1072007
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Questions:

1. Can somebody tell me the things I should buy for university (I'm a first year undergraduate living at home) such as stationary, writing utensils etc. Should I apply for a student bank account, discount travel cards etc.

And...

2. Should I invest in a voice recorder or are these a waste of time since some lecturers may not like the idea and it's not something seen that much in lectures or seminars?

THANK YOU.
dogsbody
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by deanhill1072007)
Questions:

1. Can somebody tell me the things I should buy for university (I'm a first year undergraduate living at home) such as stationary, writing utensils etc. Should I apply for a student bank account, discount travel cards etc.

Definatly take advantage of any and all student offers. Student bank accounts tend to offer good overdraft facilities with low or no interest rates (good for emergency money - "Hmm, pub or not to pub, that is the question. Have overdraft, will pub!!!"), plus nice goodies to entice you. I'm still using my free YP railcard I got for signing up and I finished uni last year! A YP railcard is well worth it if you plan on using the train alot, you recoup the savings very quickly!

In terms of stationary, I got through using a pad of paper (like the ones you buy in tesco's, smith's etc) and a pen that you feel comfortable writing with. (although it ended up being like 20 cause i kept loosing them).

That said, courses will have different requirements - I was doing what amounted to a practical media degree, so I used the pad for doing notes and virtually all my practical work was computer based. So obviously that scenario may not apply. Stick to a pad and a pen to start with and you can always get more stuff

And...

2. Should I invest in a voice recorder or are these a waste of time since some lecturers may not like the idea and it's not something seen that much in lectures or seminars?

THANK YOU.
Again, personally I wouldnt but I find i can write bullet points and remember stuff from that. lecturers tend to put stuff they use in lectures or seminars on the university computer network which you can then access over and over again or even print off if needed. Personal choice.

hope that helps
Jake22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd definately apply for one of the high street bank account student offers; as has been mentioned, you should be able to get at least £1,000 interest free overdraft aside from any other perks.

In terms of stationary, this depends on the course you are doing. I wouldn't worry about it now though. I would turn up to your first lecture with pen/pencil and paper but aside from that, you'll quickly work out what you need.
Ferret_messiah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You need a wetsuit. All the other students will have one, and they'll laugh at you if you don't. You'll understand why when you get there.
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Can somebody tell me the things I should buy for university (I'm a first year undergraduate living at home) such as stationary, writing utensils etc. Should I apply for a student bank account, discount travel cards etc.

I'd really recommend investing in a computer and printer, rather than rushing to the library the morning your assignments are due in! As for other stationery, post it notes by the mass- so useful when you're getting books out for yuor assignments!

As for the travel cards- think about how often you're going to be travelling, how much is it going to cost you to get to uni? And will you be visiting friends at other unis? Definitely worthwhile I think
gillipies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by deanhill1072007)
Some students in my lectures use them but they are all foreign students who might not get everything the lecturer says first time so it's easier for them to listen again at home or where ever if English isn't their first language. Not that lecturers won't like the idea.

I get by just bullet pointing the main ideas on paper - you can just stay behind to clarify something with the teacher if you missed writing it down in the lecture.

Like someone else said often lecturers put the powerpoint slides up on an intranet so there's even less for you to scribble down! Just note down any additional information you think might be useful.
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't bother with a voice recorder. a good old pen and paper does everyone i know just fine.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (151)
18.06%
No (509)
60.89%
Not really bothered about them (176)
21.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed