God is another word for happiness Watch

xylas
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I believe in God but God means different things to different people. My God is literal happiness. Whatever happiness means is what God means. No other God exists as far as I'm concerned.

Please provide any questions or arguments that you can think of. I have tried to live an open-minded life and will continue to do so, and it makes me happy to hear other people all reflecting on the same topic!
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For some, maybe.
xylas
Rep:
?
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
For some, maybe.
Please elaborate
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xylas)
Please elaborate
Exactly what’s been said, not much that can be elaborated from it. God is not another word for happiness for everyone, but perhaps for some people it is.
xylas
Rep:
?
Exactly what’s been said, not much that can be elaborated from it. God is not another word for happiness for everyone, but perhaps for some people it is.
What is your argument? I already acknowledge that God means different things for different people. That's not to say that everyone is correct though...
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xylas)
What is your argument? I already acknowledge that God means different things for different people. That's not to say that everyone is correct though...
There’s no argument, I just gave my opinion. Or actually expanded on what you said, because you also aknowledged that God means different things to different people. It’s great if he means literally happiness to you though
xylas
Rep:
?
There’s no argument, I just gave my opinion. Or actually expanded on what you said, because you also aknowledged that God means different things to different people. It’s great if he means literally happiness to you though
Thank you
Kirby...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's like in primary school when people would call you gay but you would respond with. "gay means happy, so yh I'm happy"
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
basicallyshrek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's nice and all, and not a new theory either like I often hear people say "God is love" and "God is forgiveness"

The only kind of gripe I have with it is that, I think it's a lil silly to try and define what God is, God is a concept, of a higher being or power sure, but a concept nonetheless. Yeah, you may perceive him to be the embodiment of happiness (which is lovely don't get me wrong) but I personally think it's a bit too simple and doesn't really answer the whole "how has humanity come to be/what is our purpose" debate lol

Also, if God is another word for happiness then doesn't that mean you worship happiness? Worshiping an emotion is a bit weird imo
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Posting to subscribe, as the opening post is interesting to me. Can't say I entirely agree with it, but tiz food for thought
xylas
Rep:
?
(Original post by basicallyshrek)
It's nice and all, and not a new theory either like I often hear people say "God is love" and "God is forgiveness"

The only kind of gripe I have with it is that, I think it's a lil silly to try and define what God is, God is a concept, of a higher being or power sure, but a concept nonetheless. Yeah, you may perceive him to be the embodiment of happiness (which is lovely don't get me wrong) but I personally think it's a bit too simple and doesn't really answer the whole "how has humanity come to be/what is our purpose" debate lol

Also, if God is another word for happiness then doesn't that mean you worship happiness? Worshiping an emotion is a bit weird imo
There are many theories that explain how humanity came to be. I can't see how that's an argument against God being happiness.

You say happiness is an emotion, that is contradictory to my belief. Happiness is God. Pleasure and elation are the positive emotions some people mistake for happiness.
xylas
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Posting to subscribe, as the opening post is interesting to me. Can't say I entirely agree with it, but tiz food for thought
Penny for your thoughts?
Thomazo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
God is another word for silly, ancient, outdated nonsense.

It’s not real. However much you want to believe that it is real, it’s simply not real.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xylas)
I believe in God but God means different things to different people. My God is literal happiness. Whatever happiness means is what God means. No other God exists as far as I'm concerned.

Please provide any questions or arguments that you can think of. I have tried to live an open-minded life and will continue to do so, and it makes me happy to hear other people all reflecting on the same topic!
Well personally I think god is just a made up fairytale for weak people to cling on to
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Out of all the mythical characters, I prefer the Easter Bunny.
xylas
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thomazo)
God is another word for silly, ancient, outdated nonsense.

It’s not real. However much you want to believe that it is real, it’s simply not real.
(Original post by Anonymous)
Well personally I think god is just a made up fairytale for weak people to cling on to
(Original post by IWMTom)
Out of all the mythical characters, I prefer the Easter Bunny.
Happiness isn't real? I suppose what you mean by God is nothing I am describing.
basicallyshrek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xylas)
There are many theories that explain how humanity came to be. I can't see how that's an argument against God being happiness.

You say happiness is an emotion, that is contradictory to my belief. Happiness is God. Pleasure and elation are the positive emotions some people mistake for happiness.
But... The whole idea of God is that there may be a higher being/power who created everything we know for a purpose. It's one of the many theories that people believe along with the big bang and other stuff.

To say God is then happiness is a bit too simplistic. Instead you could say you worship happiness, or God is the embodiment of happiness to you. But to say God is another word for happiness doesn't really make sense to me tbh.

And of course happiness is an emotion that's how we know what it is, because we experience it. We feel, and then we called those feelings happiness, excitement, anger, jealousy etc etc

Am I just taking things too literally or something? 😂
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Onde
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is an argument over definitions rather than anything meaningful. You cannot change reality just by playing around with words. In my view, happiness is able to exist without being defined as something else.
pjrodarte339
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
another religious nut
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xylas)
Happiness isn't real? I suppose what you mean by God is nothing I am describing.
God isn't real.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (407)
18.64%
The paper was reasonable (1039)
47.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.58%

Watched Threads