SweetCupcakes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello. I am a really indecisive person and I've been trying to figure out which university course to do for quite a while now. After doing some research on a lot of different ones I have narrowed it down to either biological sciences or microbiology. Does anyone have any advice or opinions based on these courses because I would love to hear them. Do you know any advantages or disadvantages for each one, the types of jobs they lead to, any good unis that provide it, their grade requirements, whether they require any work experience, salary etc.

I am in year 12 so I still have time but I have to write my personal statement soon and I want to make my decision quite quickly to leave me enough time to do things like experience if needed. You can also let me know if you know any similar courses. Knowing me, I'll probably change my mind again in a few weeks and decide to do something completely different haha.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SweetCupcakes)
Hello. I am a really indecisive person and I've been trying to figure out which university course to do for quite a while now. After doing some research on a lot of different ones I have narrowed it down to either biological sciences or microbiology. Does anyone have any advice or opinions based on these courses because I would love to hear them. Do you know any advantages or disadvantages for each one, the types of jobs they lead to, any good unis that provide it, their grade requirements, whether they require any work experience, salary etc.

I am in year 12 so I still have time but I have to write my personal statement soon and I want to make my decision quite quickly to leave me enough time to do things like experience if needed. You can also let me know if you know any similar courses. Knowing me, I'll probably change my mind again in a few weeks and decide to do something completely different haha.
Your questions are very broad, which suggests that you haven't done much research into these options yet. So that would be my advice - download and study a dozen or so course prospectuses. These should answer you questions about career destinations, grade requirements and so on.

In terms of the material you would study, biological sciences is a broad degree which takes in every aspect of biology, including some microbiology, genetics and ecology (all of which you will find in microbiology too), but also things like animal behaviour and the evolution of the animals that we see all around us like birds, mammals, trees and flowers. Microbiology is of course all about micro-organisms - bacteria, viruses, fungi and so on. It's a rich and varied field too, but tends to have a stronger focus on industrial and medical applications than biological sciences. So you'll tend to spend more time in labs and thinking about things like parasitism and disease than in biosciences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (370)
67.27%
No (180)
32.73%

Watched Threads