AQA A-level History TUDORS (1C) help!!!!!!!

Watch
Zzz0
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone doing the AQA A level Tudor exam (1C) on 6th June? What are the predictions for questions to come up? Any exam structure tips? My teachers at college have been a real let down in most of my A levels, so I don't feel as though I know enough - especially for Tudors...
I'm also doing American Dream: Reality and Illusion 1945-80 (2Q). What exactly is the difference between the depth and the breadth of the two exams?
Any help is appreciated!
erinalaw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hello! im also doing the Tudor exam on the 6th of June- I went through all the questions from last years and I have made predictions based on the topics/ areas left out, if thats helpful?topic one- something about principal servants(possibly who the most significant/ influential one was)topic 2- I think it will realistically be the reasons for religious change or a question on survival/ threat of catholicismtopic 3- causes of the rebellions or provision for poverty- did it change? so a change and continuity questiontopic 4- I believe it would be either change to Tudor culture or like changes to society so i.e education, religion, economy etc.hope that helps somewhat?
Zzz0
Rep:
?
(Original post by erinalaw)
hello! im also doing the Tudor exam on the 6th of June- I went through all the questions from last years and I have made predictions based on the topics/ areas left out, if thats helpful?topic one- something about principal servants(possibly who the most significant/ influential one was)topic 2- I think it will realistically be the reasons for religious change or a question on survival/ threat of catholicismtopic 3- causes of the rebellions or provision for poverty- did it change? so a change and continuity questiontopic 4- I believe it would be either change to Tudor culture or like changes to society so i.e education, religion, economy etc.hope that helps somewhat?
hi! what do you mean by "principal servants", is that under Elizabeth?

how have you been revising for it? are you confident?
lowza
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's not been enough papers to really do predictions for it, but what has come up already is the Mid-Tudor Crisis (sources), H7 consolidation, H8 government, the ERS, religious change in Edward, Mary and Liz (source), H7 foreign policy, H8 ministers and Elizabeth's economy and society.

So essentially, they aren't likely to come up in the same format - but they could come up as a different form of question. So, we could get a Mid Tudor Crisis essay question rather than a source.

Exam structure wise, when you get the question work out whether it is best to answer chronologically or thematically. Then split your paragraphs accordingly looking at one aspect, making sure to give a judgement at the end of everyone. It's good to have a solid argument in your introduction, but always consider the other side too to make it balanced.

For sources, answer each one individually - you don't need to compare them and you don't need introductions or conclusions. Make sure you sum up the argument of the source, then work through it in paragraphs of 'convincing' and 'unconvincing' rather than just going through it and giving a basic running commentary. Make sure you identify the arguments presented, rather than just saying it is convincing because it is factual.

To get the top grades you're looking at including lots of specific detail i.e. dates, facts and statistics, and it's always good to have a historian quote that you can debate with. There's loads in the revision guide so just pick a few out to learn - I've learnt 5 per monarch so hopefully I'll always have something applicable.

The Tudor exam will always ask you a question over a 20 year period - so you'll never be asked about Mary or Edward separately, so make sure you're looking at change and continuity through the monarchs rather than looking at them individually.

The difference of depth and breadth of exam 1 and 2 is that exam 1 is a breadth study, and exam 2 is a depth study. So, the Tudors has a longer period of time in less detail, and the American Dream will be looking at a shorter period of time in more detail.

If you need anymore help with Tudors let me know.

Hope this helps (:
Zzz0
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowza)
There's not been enough papers to really do predictions for it, but what has come up already is the Mid-Tudor Crisis (sources), H7 consolidation, H8 government, the ERS, religious change in Edward, Mary and Liz (source), H7 foreign policy, H8 ministers and Elizabeth's economy and society.

So essentially, they aren't likely to come up in the same format - but they could come up as a different form of question. So, we could get a Mid Tudor Crisis essay question rather than a source.

Exam structure wise, when you get the question work out whether it is best to answer chronologically or thematically. Then split your paragraphs accordingly looking at one aspect, making sure to give a judgement at the end of everyone. It's good to have a solid argument in your introduction, but always consider the other side too to make it balanced.

For sources, answer each one individually - you don't need to compare them and you don't need introductions or conclusions. Make sure you sum up the argument of the source, then work through it in paragraphs of 'convincing' and 'unconvincing' rather than just going through it and giving a basic running commentary. Make sure you identify the arguments presented, rather than just saying it is convincing because it is factual.

To get the top grades you're looking at including lots of specific detail i.e. dates, facts and statistics, and it's always good to have a historian quote that you can debate with. There's loads in the revision guide so just pick a few out to learn - I've learnt 5 per monarch so hopefully I'll always have something applicable.

The Tudor exam will always ask you a question over a 20 year period - so you'll never be asked about Mary or Edward separately, so make sure you're looking at change and continuity through the monarchs rather than looking at them individually.

The difference of depth and breadth of exam 1 and 2 is that exam 1 is a breadth study, and exam 2 is a depth study. So, the Tudors has a longer period of time in less detail, and the American Dream will be looking at a shorter period of time in more detail.

If you need anymore help with Tudors let me know.

Hope this helps (:
Thank you so much! That's so helpful. I was never taught to learn historians quotes, I doubt I'll have time to know them now😬 please may you give an example of one you may use and how?
lowza
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zoe.scamp)
Thank you so much! That's so helpful. I was never taught to learn historians quotes, I doubt I'll have time to know them now😬 please may you give an example of one you may use and how?
You definitely have time now, I'm literally gonna learn them tonight. You don't have to do specific ones if you can't remember - general ones are fine too. So, if you're looking generally you could argue for or against the revisionist opinion that Northumberland was a competent Duke. You could also look at the ERS as a 'two-speed settlement' - which is basically the argument as to whether it was complete or not, and how much Elizabeth wanted it to be protestant. The other one I can think of off the top of my head is Elizabeth's foreign policy, and it's basically arguing whether she was reactive or proactive. So, you could say she was reactive in regards to early foreign policy ie. intervention in Scotland due to the Guises and then proactive in regards to war with Spain or in the Netherlands conflict later on.

With more specific historian quotes, you just need to integrate them to agree or disagree with your argument. So, say you had a question on Henry VII's plots and rebellions. You could be arguing that they were dealt with successfully ie. the defeat of Simnel at the Battle of East Stoke. You could then contrast your opinion by saying "Alternatively, Christine Carpenter believes that "Henry was troubled with plots and rebellions much longer than he should have." Whilst indeed, Henry suffered from rebellions for much of his reign (the final attempt to usurp being Suffolk in 1500) I disagree with the idea that these were inefficiently dealt with, leading to their persistence. Instead, I find the problem was rooted deeper within his accession and the problems he faced being a Lancastrian taking a Yorkist crown....etc etc."

If you do a google search, or getrevising or quizlet there are loads of historiography banks you can look at and just note a few down for each monarch.
Zzz0
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowza)
You definitely have time now, I'm literally gonna learn them tonight. You don't have to do specific ones if you can't remember - general ones are fine too. So, if you're looking generally you could argue for or against the revisionist opinion that Northumberland was a competent Duke. You could also look at the ERS as a 'two-speed settlement' - which is basically the argument as to whether it was complete or not, and how much Elizabeth wanted it to be protestant. The other one I can think of off the top of my head is Elizabeth's foreign policy, and it's basically arguing whether she was reactive or proactive. So, you could say she was reactive in regards to early foreign policy ie. intervention in Scotland due to the Guises and then proactive in regards to war with Spain or in the Netherlands conflict later on.

With more specific historian quotes, you just need to integrate them to agree or disagree with your argument. So, say you had a question on Henry VII's plots and rebellions. You could be arguing that they were dealt with successfully ie. the defeat of Simnel at the Battle of East Stoke. You could then contrast your opinion by saying "Alternatively, Christine Carpenter believes that "Henry was troubled with plots and rebellions much longer than he should have." Whilst indeed, Henry suffered from rebellions for much of his reign (the final attempt to usurp being Suffolk in 1500) I disagree with the idea that these were inefficiently dealt with, leading to their persistence. Instead, I find the problem was rooted deeper within his accession and the problems he faced being a Lancastrian taking a Yorkist crown....etc etc."

If you do a google search, or getrevising or quizlet there are loads of historiography banks you can look at and just note a few down for each monarch.
Cool, thanks! With the general ones you mentioned, would you literally just mention them like "Whilst some may argue that Elizabeth's approach to foreign policy was reactive (particularly initially, intervening in Scotland due to the threat of MQS), it is undisputable by the end of the period she was inherently proactive. ..." ? Or does it need to be more explicit?

I think I'll stick to the general alternative readings, as I haven't been taught to incorporate historiography and it's not a necessity in the spec! (also I wouldn't feel confident using them) Thank you anyway
lowza
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by zoe.scamp)
Cool, thanks! With the general ones you mentioned, would you literally just mention them like "Whilst some may argue that Elizabeth's approach to foreign policy was reactive (particularly initially, intervening in Scotland due to the threat of MQS), it is undisputable by the end of the period she was inherently proactive. ..." ? Or does it need to be more explicit?

I think I'll stick to the general alternative readings, as I haven't been taught to incorporate historiography and it's not a necessity in the spec! (also I wouldn't feel confident using them) Thank you anyway
That approach is great.

Sometimes it's useful to identify it as a traditionalist or a revisionist opinion if you know. So, for Edward's Lord Protectors - Northumberland being 'The bad duke' is traditional and then him being 'competent' is revisionist. Again with the ERS, the 'puritan choir' idea is traditional and the opposition from conservatives is revisionist. I hope that makes sense, we've just been taught to kind of put them into two schools of thoughts.

But if not, you can just say 'some historians have argued....' and then agree or disagree.

Sorry if I'm confusing you haha, good luck for the exam!!
Zzz0
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowza)
That approach is great.

Sometimes it's useful to identify it as a traditionalist or a revisionist opinion if you know. So, for Edward's Lord Protectors - Northumberland being 'The bad duke' is traditional and then him being 'competent' is revisionist. Again with the ERS, the 'puritan choir' idea is traditional and the opposition from conservatives is revisionist. I hope that makes sense, we've just been taught to kind of put them into two schools of thoughts.

But if not, you can just say 'some historians have argued....' and then agree or disagree.

Sorry if I'm confusing you haha, good luck for the exam!!
Aw okay great! No you haven't at all, thank you so much for your help good luck to you too!
pickelino
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My teacher who's a chief examiner thinks its extremely likely that henry viii religion will come up, elizabeth i government, mary queen of scots, foreign policy in general and rebellions. however, i do the cold war for my depth study and korea came up two years in a row, so we've been told to be cautious around predictions! good luck!!
ttt244
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, Has there been two exams in the new specification?When did H7 foreign policy, H8 ministers and Elizabeth's economy and society come up?Thank you.
Zzz0
Rep:
?
(Original post by ttt244)
Hi, Has there been two exams in the new specification?When did H7 foreign policy, H8 ministers and Elizabeth's economy and society come up?Thank you.
there's 1 exam for Tudors - consisting of the entire period 1485-1603 and each of the monarchs': government/society, foreign policy, religious policy, threats and rebellions, then 1 exam for another component (i.e. Russia or American dream or something)
Zzz0
Rep:
?
(Original post by ttt244)
ignore my last answer, I now understand your question😂

I believe there has only been one exam in the new spec so far?? I'm not sure though, maybe check the AQA papers website. Some people pick out the sample papers too as a guideline for predictions...
ttt244
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by pickelino)
My teacher who's a chief examiner thinks its extremely likely that henry viii religion will come up, elizabeth i government, mary queen of scots, foreign policy in general and rebellions. however, i do the cold war for my depth study and korea came up two years in a row, so we've been told to be cautious around predictions! good luck!!
Hi, has your teacher made any predictions about the russia paper?
charlotte100200
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bit late considering the paper is tomorrow, and I might be repeating stuff that has already been said because cba to read everything... but

Last years exam was the first exam on the new spec so that's all we've got to work off
I think foreign policy for the tudors will come up, mainly because it didn't come up for any monarch or the extract question last year. My bet is Elizabeth's I foreign policy because it's such a large topic.
Maybe Henry VII and government/nobility
Henry VIII and religion and the break from rome because that's highly significant
I think if anything from Mid tudors was gonna come up again it would be on religion and that only because it's such a small period

They have to ask questions that span over a 20 year time period and they can apparently ask questions across reigns
Suzzz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does anyone have any tips for the topic 5 question? Like structure wise
lowza
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by charlotte100200)
Bit late considering the paper is tomorrow, and I might be repeating stuff that has already been said because cba to read everything... but

Last years exam was the first exam on the new spec so that's all we've got to work off
I think foreign policy for the tudors will come up, mainly because it didn't come up for any monarch or the extract question last year. My bet is Elizabeth's I foreign policy because it's such a large topic.
Maybe Henry VII and government/nobility
Henry VIII and religion and the break from rome because that's highly significant
I think if anything from Mid tudors was gonna come up again it would be on religion and that only because it's such a small period

They have to ask questions that span over a 20 year time period and they can apparently ask questions across reigns
I agree with this, I also think something societal/economic might come up. maybe h7 or 8? Good luck!
bigeyeshijabi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello everyone, how did you guys find it?
Zzz0
Rep:
?
(Original post by bigeyeshijabi)
Hello everyone, how did you guys find it?
the questions were okay, in my opinion! I worry I didn't have an incredibly sophisticated argument for the essays but I don't know what else I would've written so... how did you find it?
AmyLouise0504
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
https://www.stuvia.co.uk/doc/521728/...enry-vii-notes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (107)
60.45%
No (36)
20.34%
Not sure (34)
19.21%

Watched Threads