Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For those of you doing degrees like English, psychology etc where will it get you?

Im doing psychology myself (with the open university) and have not a clue where it will get me! Im thinking of quiting because people around me are saying it will not get me anywhere, how will it get me a career?

How will your degree get you a career? Or am I missing something

Well, you could teach it. That's the case for any degree, really.

ReputationRep:
    MPhil in Criminology at Cambridge if I get a first. Then it's Government, civil service, police (SOCA) etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    Well, you could teach it. That's the case for any degree, really.
    Nah im quiet and no good at speaking in front of crowds. In fact the thing I enjoy most in life is keeping fit and sport but its hard to find a well paid career in sport.

(Original post by Riddy)
    Nah im quiet and no good at speaking in front of crowds. In fact the thing I enjoy most in life is keeping fit and sport but its hard to find a well paid career in sport.
    You said, "where will it get you?" not "where will it get me?"
    I didn't realise you wanted personal recommendations. I could teach my subject, I think. (Well, I should probably do the degree first.)

No idea what you could do. Maybe transfer to Sport Science with Disability Studies, and then serve tea at the special Olympics?

ReputationRep:
    Ermm..

I'm hoping my degree will eventually get me onto the Clinical Psychology Doctorate.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf Jangra, way to over-react.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    You said, "where will it get you?" not "where will it get me?"
    I didn't realise you wanted personal recommendations. I could teach my subject, I think. (Well, I should probably do the degree first.)

No idea what you could do. Maybe transfer to Sport Science with Disability Studies, and then serve tea at the special Olympics?
    I know I thought you were referring to me, Im asking both but mainly asking where everyones degree will get them.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a List of Psychological Careers for the OP:
    http://www.bps.org.uk/careers/areas/areas_home.cfm

That is, provided your Open University degree is BPS acredited, if not, you'll have to take an extra course to get that.

ReputationRep:
    Graduate entry Medicine (hopefully) :p:

(Original post by [email protected])
    Wtf Jangra, way to over-react.
    Well yes, I did. But it's something he could do. I post stuff like this regardless of whatever's said, normally.
    In this case I said someone with a psychology degree could teach psychology and was met with a firm no. Seems a bit odd.
    Becoming a psychologist could work too, I suppose. By the time you're doing a degree, I would have thought you'd know what career paths are open to you, even if you have no idea which one you want to take.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what others say?

You must have had a reason to start the degree in the first place... what was that?

Having a degree can be handy in applying for certain jobs but it doesn't guarantee you anything.

ReputationRep:
    My degree isn't exactly similar (I'm doing Maths) but I think afterwards, I will probably try and get a job in either a pub, a coffee shop or something like that.

By the way, whatever you do; don't quit because others tell you that 'it will get you nowhere'. Even if it was completely true, that isn't the only reason to do a degree anyway. My degree isn't 'getting me anywhere' financially but as far as I see it, big deal; there are more important reasons (for me) for doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully somewhere sunny? I honestly have no idea...

ReputationRep:
    The satisfaction of having got one. And a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    My degree isn't exactly similar (I'm doing Maths) but I think afterwards, I will probably try and get a job in either a pub, a coffee shop or something like that.
    why are you not aiming for a graduate level job?

ReputationRep:
    a degree offers hope that one day you might get a good job that pays well, gives you a reasont o wake up and something to work for....i couldnt bare the mind numbing boredom of working in a call centre of somewhere like barclays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManxKirsty)
    Hopefully somewhere sunny?
    Now thats out of touch with reality

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermaphrodite)
    why are you not aiming for a graduate level job?
    I already had one and I hated it. I didn't need the money either. Most supposedly 'graduate level' jobs (or at least ones that don't require any specific skills or training) are office jobs and I am completely turned off to the idea of working in an office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Here's a List of Psychological Careers for the OP:
    http://www.bps.org.uk/careers/areas/areas_home.cfm

That is, provided your Open University degree is BPS acredited, if not, you'll have to take an extra course to get that.
    Thanks

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.