Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
'More sophisticated responses should
note that the carbon cycle is entirely dependent upon the
water cycle for its existence. Without the cycling of water
through the lithosphere, hydrosphere, cryosphere and
atmosphere, there could be no carbon cycle.'

How exactly is the carbon cycle entirely dependent on the water cycle???? What would happen if there was no water cycle?
m005eman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Well, It is dependant on it, as for water is needed for vegetation to exist, and if vegetation, photosynthesis can occur, and there fore, carbon is taken out of the air and into the plant, where it is stored. Also, acid rain, corrodes carbonate rocks, like limestone, creating Carbonic acids, that then run off into a river basin and into the ocean where it is stored.

There are more, try looking at the carbon cycle, both long and short and look at the spots where water is directly or indirectly involved, and that will tell you your answer.

But remember that the water cycle is independent to the carbon cycle, as it does not need carbon to cycle around
willsp8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Though, without the carbon cycle, the natural greenhouse effect would not be in place which keeps the planet at an ideal temperature for life. Without it the Earth would be a frozen ball (cryospheric).
willsp8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Also enhanced greenhouse effect (carbon cycle) affects evaporation rates and atmospheric moisture which affects precipiatation (water cycle). Basically they both rely on each other. If the question is 'to what extent' or 'how far do you agree' you should give both sides of the argument I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.38%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.47%