Turn on thread page Beta

Queen Mary vs Univ of Manchester vs Univ of Sussex for US student's semester abroad watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help give me some insight into the differences among the following 3 schools: Queen Mary, Univ of Manchester & Univ of Sussex. I am from the US & am considering a spring semester abroad at one of these & would like to hear some info about their respective campuses, academics (especially in the English dept), academic standings, city/suburb life, student bodies, housing, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Manc Uni is perhaps your best option. It's in a big northern city, its the cheapest also the best recognised in the UK of the 3.

ReputationRep:
    manchester

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Manchester/Sussex and then Queen Mary.

Do you want city or campus?
    Sussex is a campus uni, but I've heard the buildings can be a bit depressing cos its all 60's concrete stuff. Sussex is supposed to have a good English course though. Manchester has a solid reputation, and is a red brick city uni, you'll probably get the best all round student experience there. Its well located for seeing the rest of Britian. Queen Mary is also supposed to be good at English and is located in London.

ReputationRep:
    manc >>> qmul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sussex

ReputationRep:
    Sussex is a campus uni. The campus is quite green too, despite some of the concrete buildings. You'd also be within relatively easy reach of London (and Gatwick airport - important if you're the typical US exchange student and are planning to do a few weekends in other European cities by budget airlines) by train. Sussex does have a good reputation. I have heard that Sussex's student union isn't that great, but Brighton is just up the road and is one of the UK's biggest party towns - so that should not be a problem.

Manchester is also well regarded as others have said. Manchester's a big city (although it's not NY!) and full of lots of things to do. Good value too as the north is generally a bit cheaper. Manchester is historically an industrial city, so in places it's not the most beautiful - but that by no means applies to the whole city. It also always seems to be raining! Or at least whenever I've been there.

I don't know much about QMUL other than it's probably the inferior in terms of reputation. It's in London of course, somewhere in the East End, which although becoming more fashionable and "in" is still traditionally one of the "poorer" parts of London.

Personally, if I were you, I'd choose either Manchester or Sussex. Sussex probably would have the most tight student body feel, if that's what you are after, due to it being a campus uni.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.