The Student Room Group

Roaccutance - information and personal log

I started my Accutane course about a week ago, and I think it would be good to keep a daily log about it because I know a lot of people are sceptical about this drug and its possible negative effects. I also think it would be suitable to post one here because I believe that my account will give a fair insight into it. Many other message boards are biased because the only reason people post negative things about it is because they have had a bad experience. People who have had a good experience don’t post because they have nothing to complain about (this is the majority). I personally believe the CHANCES OF SEVERE LONG-TERM SIDE EFFECTS ARE VERY LOW. Also I cannot judge it yet because I’ve only been on it for around a week, so the outcome could be anything. I am also a dedicated TSR userJ, so I’ll hopefully be here for years to come and may give the occasional update if necessary.

My acne is not severe; it’s about the moderate. My stubborn-ass acne has resisted all the medicines prescribed by the GP and dermatologist (oral and external). So now I have been prescribed 25mg of Accutane, this is lower than the usual amount. The usual starting amount is half the weight (kg) converted proportionally to mg, i.e. 50kg would mean 25mg. I asked for a lower than usual amount because I don’t want it to affect my A-level performance (in terms of the extent of dry skin and muscle pain, which look like a common temporary side-effect of Accutane).

Roaccutane information
1) What is it and what is it used for?
It is an isotretinoin meaning it is a derivative of vitamin A. This substance is produced by the liver in small amounts, therefore you should not take vitamin A supplements whilst on Accutane otherwise you could poison your liver (DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL). Its main function is to stop sebum production and it is believed that it alters DNA transcription as well. Accutane is only used when other alternatives such as antibiotics and tropical applicants don’t work. Or if the acne is so severe that it scars.

2) When not to take Accutane.
- Pregnant or think you maybe pregnant (it can kill an unborn baby)
- Breast feeding
- Liver disease
- High cholesterol
- Hypervitaminosis A
- Allergic to soya, peanut, beeswax gelatine, sorbitol, mannitol, ascorbyl palmitate.
- On tetracyclines
The doctor will take a blood test before letting you go on, as well as on regular periods whilst on it. You must tell the doctor if you are allergic to anything, just in case.

3) Possible side effects.
- Mental problems: On ‘rare occasions’ patients who are on it or have just come off it have developed a mental problem or mental depression. Symptoms include sad, empty mood, mood changes anxiety, sudden cry spells, irritability, loss of pleasure or interest in social or sporting activities, change in weight/appetite, concentration problems. It is ‘very rare’ that people who are depressed get worse. ‘Vary rarely’ people become suicidal. ‘Rarely’ have people become violent. Slight depression is most susceptible to teenagers, so if you experience any of the symptoms you must contact the doctor straight away. If not, the effects could worsen and develop in severity and you will need further help, i.e. you will be referred to a psychologist.

- Skin problems: It is common that you will have dry lips and dry face, therefore moisturiser should be used. It is common to have an ‘initial breakout’ phase, which usually lasts around 2 weeks. ‘Very rarely’ will you have excessive sweating or increased sensitivity to light. Do not use any peeling chemicals on your skin until you’re 6 months out of the course. Dermabrasion/peeling chemicals will scar you.

- Allergic reactions: You may get itchy patches on your skin or discoloured patches, these usually fade away when your 1 or 2 months into the course. Stop Accutane if you experience breathing problems or tightness in the chest.

- Blood disorders: It is very common you will temporarily develop blood disorder; this means that you may bleed for longer if wounded If white blood cells are affected you may be more susceptible to infections. Once again, I will repeat that blood tests will happen regularly.

- Neurological disorders: ‘Rarely’ will you experience cranial hypertension, convulsion and drowsiness. It is common to have headaches initially in the first month.

- Eye disorders: It is very common to get inflammation on the eyelids due to the dryness. ‘Very rarely’ do contact lenses have to be substituted for glasses. ‘Very rarely’ will your vision be affected, although it has been reported that people are less able to distinguish colours. Sensitivity to light increases, sunglasses may be required.

- Ear disorders: It is ‘very rare’ that your hearing will be affected

- Noise and throat: It is common that you will get encrusted nose due to the dryness, but it is ‘very rare’ that you will get dryness of the throat.(contact doctor if you do)

- Gastrointestinal disorder: If there are any abdominal pains, bloody diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting you should stop and contact the doctor. Other sever disorders are ‘very rare.’

- Liver: you will experience increased enzyme activity. ‘Very rarely’ will you develop hepatitis, if you feel tired or have yellow eyes, you must stop and contact the doctor.

- Kidney problems: ‘Very rarely’ do people experience inflammation of the kidney; symptoms are puffed, tired eyes.

- Diabetes: ‘Very rarely’ so people develop diabetes; symptoms are excessive urination or excessive thirst.

- Hair: hair may become thinner whilst on the course.

- Muscle: Muscle pains are very common; they should stop when you’re on your 2nd month. It is ‘very rare’ that people develop bone disorders such as arthritis.

(Party sourced from Roche)

This is the sort of information the dermatologist will give you before you can decide in a month of two after the appointment. I know the effects look horrible, but the severe ones are only experienced by a very small minority of people, hence lots of, ‘very rarely’. I think the image of Accutane isn’t a true image and is very misleading.

It is no doubt the most effect drug in tackling acne, with a success rate of over 80%. The course lasts around 4 to 5 months; usually the dosage is upped in the 8th week of starting. It is very common for people to have an initial breakout for the first 2 weeks on it. Dry skin and dry lips are very common as well, but good moisturising will do the job.

I think that’s all I have to say. I believe I have a basic knowledge of it, so if you have any general questions just ask. So now I have to wait and see….

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nikk has also provided some information whilst he was on it last September (2005). Link
Reply 2
Day 1 – 27/03/06
Nothing much obviously

Day 2 – 28/03
Had a few slight headaches throughout the day, apart from that, nothing else....

Day 3 – 29/03
Had a few slight headaches throughout the day, and a few zits have formed which suggests the breakout phase has started because I hardly ever get zits!

Day 4 – 30/03
Only had a headache for about 15minutes throughout the whole day, this was after I finished school at 3.30 (must be the work!). Again, one or two small zits, and a few minor cysts. There’s some dryness on some parts of my face.

Day 5 – 31/03
No headaches at all, no further developments apart from a cyst on the upper jaw line, the dry bits are still present.
Mustard-man
Day 1 – 27/03/06
Nothing much obviously

Day 2 – 28/03
Had a few slight headaches throughout the day, apart from that, nothing else....

Day 3 – 29/03
Had a few slight headaches throughout the day, and a few zits have formed which suggests the breakout phase has started because I hardly ever get zits!

Day 4 – 30/03
Only had a headache for about 15minutes throughout the whole day, this was after I finished school at 3.30 (must be the work!). Again, one or two small zits, and a few minor cysts. There’s some dryness on some parts of my face.

Day 5 – 31/03
No headaches at all, no further developments apart from a cyst on the upper jaw line, the dry bits are still present.

if you don't usually get zits why do you have acne? isn't acne all about zits?
Reply 4
Mrs. Political
if you don't usually get zits why do you have acne? isn't acne all about zits?

zits alone don't really classify as acne because they are only very minor. Severe Acne can be imflammed nodules, or puss filled nodules. There are quite a few different forms

Edit: here's wikipedia's definition
'The most common form of acne is known as "acne vulgaris", meaning "common acne." Excessive secretion of oils from the glands combines with naturally occurring dead skin cells to block the hair follicles. Oil secretions build up beneath the blocked pore, providing a perfect environment for the skin bacteria Propionibacterium acnes to multiply uncontrolled. In response, the skin inflames, producing the visible lesion. The face, chest, back, shoulders and upper arms are especially affected.

The typical acne lesions are: comedones, papules, pustules, nodules and inflammatory cysts. These are the more inflamed form of pus-filled or reddish bumps, even boil-like tender swellings. Non-inflamed 'sebaceous cysts', more properly called epidermoid cysts, occur either in association with acne or alone but are not a constant feature. After resolution of acne lesions, prominent unsightly scars may remain.'
Mustard-man
zits alone don't really classify as acne because they are only very minor. Severe Acne can be imflammed nodules, or puss filled nodules. There are quite a few different forms

Edit: here's wikipedia's definition
'The most common form of acne is known as "acne vulgaris", meaning "common acne." Excessive secretion of oils from the glands combines with naturally occurring dead skin cells to block the hair follicles. Oil secretions build up beneath the blocked pore, providing a perfect environment for the skin bacteria Propionibacterium acnes to multiply uncontrolled. In response, the skin inflames, producing the visible lesion. The face, chest, back, shoulders and upper arms are especially affected.

The typical acne lesions are: comedones, papules, pustules, nodules and inflammatory cysts. These are the more inflamed form of pus-filled or reddish bumps, even boil-like tender swellings. Non-inflamed 'sebaceous cysts', more properly called epidermoid cysts, occur either in association with acne or alone but are not a constant feature. After resolution of acne lesions, prominent unsightly scars may remain.'

ooof, it sounds sore (sorry for sounding stupid) when will the acne start to go away with this medecine?
Reply 6
Mrs. Political
ooof, it sounds sore (sorry for sounding stupid) when will the acne start to go away with this medecine?

no problem, mine isn't actually that serious, it's just because it might get worse so the dermatologist recommended I go on it. This is believed to be the most effective drug, I think it's about under 2 months, but you would have to finish the course regardless.
Reply 7
I went on roaccutane 2 years ago....it started working properly after about a month...I had to have 2 blood tests to check liver function...sugar levels..etc to make sure my body would hold up to the treatment. I experienced bleeding lips (which are still very dry even two years after). Some tiny spots have come back but i control them with benzamycin gel which is great. I tried all the other treatments - tetracyclines and common anti-biotics (2 of which i had severe allergic reactions to - a very bad rash which left blotches for 6 months after :frown:)...all in all the roaccutane treatment was the only one to work and in fact had very mild side-effects for me (but 4 of my cousins had already been on it and were fine with 100% success - therefore i was more sure that i'd be ok with the treatment). The problem with it is that no GP will prescribe it - i saw a consultant dermatologist who recommended it - even after that it was a battle to convince bupa insurance to pay - the capsules cost something ridiculous like 2 quid each or something....roche are such thieves)...I would recommend it from personal experience as it is the only treatment to attack the root cause of the problem by shrinking the size of the sebacious glands...antibiotics are only a short-term fix. But there are many possible side-effects - but there are with anti-biotics aswell...it's a risk that's worth taking if you want good skin.
Reply 8
lucho22
I went on roaccutane 2 years ago....it started working properly after about a month...I had to have 2 blood tests to check liver function...sugar levels..etc to make sure my body would hold up to the treatment. I experienced bleeding lips (which are still very dry even two years after). Some tiny spots have come back but i control them with benzamycin gel which is great. I tried all the other treatments - tetracyclines and common anti-biotics (2 of which i had severe allergic reactions to - a very bad rash which left blotches for 6 months after :frown:)...all in all the roaccutane treatment was the only one to work and in fact had very mild side-effects for me (but 4 of my cousins had already been on it and were fine with 100% success - therefore i was more sure that i'd be ok with the treatment). The problem with it is that no GP will prescribe it - i saw a consultant dermatologist who recommended it - even after that it was a battle to convince bupa insurance to pay - the capsules cost something ridiculous like 2 quid each or something....roche are such thieves)...I would recommend it from personal experience as it is the only treatment to attack the root cause of the problem by shrinking the size of the sebacious glands...antibiotics are only a short-term fix. But there are many possible side-effects - but there are with anti-biotics aswell...it's a risk that's worth taking if you want good skin.

:yy: glad it was good for you! In fact, did you post about this before, like a year ago? I can recall something relating with accutane and success with all your cousins.... or something :rolleyes: (I might actually be talking crap)
Reply 9
Mustard-man
:yy: glad it was good for you! In fact, did you post about this before, like a year ago? I can recall something relating with accutane and success with all your cousins.... or something :rolleyes: (I might actually be talking crap)

yeh a while ago...someone was asking about effective treatments...only a couple of months ago though...:smile:
Good luck with this mate :cool:

From what i've read about accutane it will defiinitely clear you up within a few months.
Reply 11
cheers stratomaster
stratomaster
Good luck with this mate :cool:

From what i've read about accutane it will defiinitely clear you up within a few months.

yeah- good luck xxx
Reply 13
thanks
Reply 14
hey it's great to see another person who has gone through this aswell. I too was on accutane for around 6 months last year.. *stopped it in August* and it definitely is worth it. I went through a phase in the middle where my skin was ridiculously dry , I mean it was chapping and peeling all over the show no matter how much mosituriser I put on and my lips bled.. but that all passed after a month then the skin really started to improve. Acne is definitely a long battle, but if it is severe enough to need Accutane then taking Accutane is well worth it. so far I have suffered no other lasting side effects apart from occasional mood swings a short time after finsihing the drug. if your skin was is also prone to greasiness like mine was the hopefully you will notice a drastic improvement in that once u stop taking the drug, like I have. I really hope it works for you! please keep us updated :smile: how much are u on a day at the minute? at my peak time I was on 50 mg but started on like 25 or 20 I think... wb xx
ps... have u checked out acne.org? its a great site dedicated to accutane and acne !
Reply 15
Day 7 - 02/04

Starting to dry my face- a bit of tightness, had a few spells of headache
I went on roaccutane 2 years ago and was on it for about 6 months (i think) and the main side effects i had were the complete dryness of the skin... (the photos from my 16th birthday were ruined) I did get quite moody as well, but nothing too severe. Anyway, the treatment was a success and 2 years later, I do get the occassional spot but nothing as bad as before.
Reply 17
*starry_eyed_*
I went on roaccutane 2 years ago and was on it for about 6 months (i think) and the main side effects i had were the complete dryness of the skin... (the photos from my 16th birthday were ruined) I did get quite moody as well, but nothing too severe. Anyway, the treatment was a success and 2 years later, I do get the occassional spot but nothing as bad as before.

glad it worked for you! I get moody anyway, lol. However, my brother consistently annoying is not good either :redface:
It will **** you up emotionally. You may not notice, but it will.
Anonymous
It will **** you up emotionally. You may not notice, but it will.

I think that having the piss taken out of me relentlessly when I was 12-14 because my face looked like a pizza was far more damaging emotionally.

I took it when I was about 15...It totally dried my skin out all over, gave me nosebleeds at least once every couple of days, caused my lips to chap/bleed, I had awful headaches, nausea and generally stroppiness, but the effect it had was amazing. I'd tried everything else that my GP/dermatologist would prescribe but roaccutane cleared my skin totally and it's remained clear since.

Horrible while I was on it, but totally worth it in the end, it boosted my self esteem so much.

Latest

Trending

Trending