?
Report 12 years ago
ive been on this e45 is a must have as far as im concerned
lucho22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you don't mind looking a bit gay for buying it - 8 hour cream by elizabeth arden was recommended by my consultant dermatologist when I was taking roaccutane. It really does work and comes also in a stick not only a tube - it's pretty expensive though...
dabizzle
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
This is my first post, so I dont know how to post in a specific forum- if you'd like to let me know how i will gladly do it.

Thanks for the Elizabeth Arden suggestion- out of interest are you male or female- because i have this theory that guys, or maybe just me, are not suited to using certain female moisturisers. I say this because I have sometimes borrowed moisturiser from my mum and it never seemed to absorb- it felt very greasy and uncomfortable.

Yeah I guess I will buy a tub of E45 and be prepared for the dryness.

Thanks for posting
lucho22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dabizzle)
This is my first post, so I dont know how to post in a specific forum- if you'd like to let me know how i will gladly do it.

Thanks for the Elizabeth Arden suggestion- out of interest are you male or female- because i have this theory that guys, or maybe just me, are not suited to using certain female moisturisers. I say this because I have sometimes borrowed moisturiser from my mum and it never seemed to absorb- it felt very greasy and uncomfortable.

Yeah I guess I will buy a tub of E45 and be prepared for the dryness.

Thanks for posting
Haha - I'm a guy - but the 8 hour cream really does work for the dry lips you're going to get from taking roaccutane. It's meant to be greasy on the lips - that way it stops them cracking. For the rest of your skin don't use anything - the roaccutane's purpose is to make it as dry as possible to kill of the infection which like moist and greasy skin. This should only be for the lips.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mustard_man was on Roaccutane for ages, he'll know.
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I dont normally use lip balms so i dont really know what to buy. I dont like using vaseline because it has always felt uncomfortable on my lips- but if the consensus view is that it works, I'll use it. I have liked carmex when I have used it- gives a nice tingle.
I used vaseline, and it was great . What I used to do was apply it before I went to sleep, and my lips would be fine throughout the day, without the need of anymore. I found that if I missed a night, my lips would go really dry and cracked.

My dermatoligist recommended E45 cream for my neck and shoulders etc when they dry up. IS this stuff any good?
Yeah, same here. She said E45 or aqueous cream. Fortunately my neck and shoulders didn't dry up, only my face, and a bit on my arms. But this really depends on the dosage... Towards the end of my course, I found that bio-oil was pretty good for the face (and I suspect it could be used elsewhere on the body), not only does it moisturise, it also aids in getting rid of marks/scars etc...

I have always used Nuetrogena's Norweigan Formula facial moisturiser- but I am unsure whether this will be stong enough to keep my skin moisturised. Any thoughts?
Why not try it out?

A final thought- I used to work out 3-4 times a week a couple of years ago- since then I have continued running and doing press ups, sit ups and dumbells- (basically I cannot afford a gym membership). I want to get back into the swing of things and take advantage of cheap university gym subsidies- So I was wondering how the accutane affected your work out routines? Do the muscle and joint aches occur spontaneously? ie without any physical workout, or are they a direct consequence? If so- does the recovery rate improve?
Yeah, I wouldn't advise intense exercising. People commonly get muscle ache and sometimes joint pain. I definitely experienced it when playing football with my friends. I started to get muscle pains if I ran for around for 5 minutes, and the pain usually went on for days. Also when I used 2Kg dumbells for 30 minutes, even though it didn't hurt when doing it, then next morning I experienced a lot of muscle pain, and it took around a week to subside. However, a 10 minute ride to school was no problem.

Good thing is, it sorts the dandraff problem out . You may well have to sacrifice a few things, such as sport and drinking, but it's only for 5 months
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angelil)
Mustard_man was on Roaccutane for ages, he'll know.
I wouldn't say ages :p:, just the average time
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
lol, probably :p:

I'm on some stuff at the moment that really seems like the last resort before Roaccutane (in the sense that my doctor said 'if this doesn't work in six months I'm putting you on Roaccutane'!). Luckily for me, after 10 years of crap all working on my skin, this stuff is working I'm taking one tablet a day (tetralysal 300 [lymecycline 408mg, equivalent to 300mg tetracycline base]), applying differin adapalene cream in the mornings and brevoxyl cream (containing benzoyl peroxide) at night, and after 2 weeks, so far so good...
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angelil)
lol, probably :p:

I'm on some stuff at the moment that really seems like the last resort before Roaccutane (in the sense that my doctor said 'if this doesn't work in six months I'm putting you on Roaccutane'!). Luckily for me, after 10 years of crap all working on my skin, this stuff is working I'm taking one tablet a day (tetralysal 300 [lymecycline 408mg, equivalent to 300mg tetracycline base]), applying differin adapalene cream in the mornings and brevoxyl cream (containing benzoyl peroxide) at night, and after 2 weeks, so far so good...
That's good to hear, hope it works out for you

I got a similar combination before going onto accutane, it was tetralysal + adapalene.
dabizzle
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Mustard man- I didnt realise that the muscle aches could be that bad- I was hoping that I could build up resistance to them- sounds like that might not be the case.

I do intend on using the Nuetrogena moisturiser- but as today is my first day on the drug the side effects havent kicked in yet- just trying to be prepared- maybe you or someone else might have a miracle product. I checked out the cost of the elizabeth arden 8 hour cream on boots.com- 18.99 for 50mg- very expensive- i think the neutrogena is at least ten pounds less. If the 8 hour cream applied thinly and lasted for a decent time i might consider it- but like i said- as of yet i have no serious dryness.
Thanks for replying

Out of interest- i presume that you do/did cleanse your face whilst you were on accutance- did you find that cleansing twice a day was unecessary and that it only agitated the skin? Or was it not a problem?

Thanks for your advice guys!
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Mustard man- I didnt realise that the muscle aches could be that bad- I was hoping that I could build up resistance to them- sounds like that might not be the case.
Unfortunately they were

I do intend on using the Nuetrogena moisturiser- but as today is my first day on the drug the side effects havent kicked in yet- just trying to be prepared- maybe you or someone else might have a miracle product. I checked out the cost of the elizabeth arden 8 hour cream on boots.com- 18.99 for 50mg- very expensive- i think the neutrogena is at least ten pounds less. If the 8 hour cream applied thinly and lasted for a decent time i might consider it- but like i said- as of yet i have no serious dryness.
Yeah, the effects are greatest when you get upped onto full dosage. Elizabeth Arden is meant to be a luxury beuty product isn't it? :hmmmm:

Out of interest- i presume that you do/did cleanse your face whilst you were on accutance- did you find that cleansing twice a day was unecessary and that it only agitated the skin? Or was it not a problem?
Yeah, twice a day should be sufficient, once in the morning and once in the night, ideally. I just cleansed it with plain water. Although the derm did recommend using Aqueous cream with water...
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My Dr mentioned Roaccutane to me the other day. Ive been on Oxytetracycline for about a month and half now and I'm pretty sure it's got better (still not gone though) but to the average person it probably looks just as bad as it did at the start (loads of marks where they have been ).

Anyway, I've got to go back again on the 9th Jan (will be 2 months of Oxytetra then) and if he doesn't think it's any better then I'm going to the derm! He said that Roaccutane might help the scars go, is that true? I expect that i'll have to waste more time trying out other stuff before Roaccutane though won't I? I just wanna get rid of it now
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Yeah, I had to try 3 different oral antibiotics before going on Roaccutane.

Help the scars go away? I suppose that could be slightly true. Usually when you're on Roaccutane your skin goes really dry and flakey, thus replenishes quicker than normal, perhaps that's what he meant? :dontknow:
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Maybe, he didn't really say much about it. I was asking if he could prescribe me anything and said something about Roaccutane.

How long did each of those 3 oral antibiotics last? Weeks or months?
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cortez)
How long did each of those 3 oral antibiotics last? Weeks or months?
For me, Oxytetracycline just over a year :eek3:, Oxytetralysal for about 2 months and lymecine for about 2 months.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
For me, Oxytetracycline just over a year :eek3:, Oxytetralysal for about 2 months and lymecine for about 2 months.
A year?! :eek: If I have to try one more thing for over a month and not have any effect I'm gonna be annoyed. Had them long enough now!
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cortez)
A year?! :eek: If I have to try one more thing for over a month and not have any effect I'm gonna be annoyed. Had them long enough now!
Yeah , antibiotics (in general) require long-term (several months) treatment for them to be remotely effective :rolleyes:
oh_wow_lovely
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
does it matter that i forgot to take it two nights in a row?
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by _LDN_)
does it matter that i forgot to take it two nights in a row?
Just continue the course a normal... (although antibiotics do require prolonged continual use, otherwise resistance is easily gained, but I don't think missing 2 nights is that bad...)
newbie17
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey if you come out of accutane is it true that the acne might come back?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (134)
27.29%
No (357)
72.71%

Watched Threads