Turn on thread page Beta

Roaccutance - information and personal log watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    Good good, waiting sucks :p: Good luck with it :yy:

Thanks for that , I actually finished 6 months ago
    Oh lol, I really should read these things properly! Blame ADHD! How's it going then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe-libertine)
    Oh lol, I really should read these things properly! Blame ADHD! How's it going then?
    I forgive :p:

Yeah, good thanks. The acne has gone, the moisture on my face and hair has returned (but not so much greasy), and the rest is pretty much back to normal. A few pimples ocassionally, but then again, who doesn't get them. Overall I'm happy

what kind of moisterizers did ppl use for dry skin, cos i dont want to use anything like nivea which has chemicals etc? also ppl maon abt dry skin but when i was on roaccutane a few yrs back, it easily went by applying some olitum which they dont seem to sell anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    what kind of moisterizers did ppl use for dry skin, cos i dont want to use anything like nivea which has chemicals etc? also ppl maon abt dry skin but when i was on roaccutane a few yrs back, it easily went by applying some olitum which they dont seem to sell anymore.
    Try a search for oilatum on google.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Bio oil is pretty good

I think people overestimate the side effects, yes they do exist but the most common ones like dry skin its no real problem. I have had acne since the age of about 13/14 and am now 20. at 13 i was on roaccutane and it cleared it up really well and quickly (literally after 2/3 months) and i stopped taking it and few laters they came back BUT no way near as bad. and i suffered no side effects not even dry skin.

now im 20 my spots aint too bad on my face but stilll get few whiteheads and my back is quite bad. i have just started taking roaccutance again and dermo said that they r even starting to prescribe it for mild acne cos of the benefits such as raising a persons confidence and these outweigh the small possibilty of getting depression etc (she said in 10yrs shes been giving it only ONE patient suffered mild depression and even that stopped when he came off. Now iv started again im hoping i will see the improvements as once skin starts drying up as long as acne isnt severe it will clear up.

ReputationRep:
    ;yes; My dermo also said that she had only known of one case where a person suffered from depression, but that was from 20 years of prescribing it! Also when I asked a different dermo (absent) about depression, she just laughed at me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    I'm just praying I don't have any nosebleeds during an exam.
    haha dude, i had that exact problem. doing my english literature exam and suddenly the clock struck 2 and my nose started bleeding. haha my mates all reaslised what was happening and the whole hall did, i had to try and not laugh actually. didnt matter in the end, i still got an A*.

ReputationRep:
    I've been getting dry arms... lol. Am going to the dermo on Weds, so shall see what they say. I have been seeing an improvement and a drying out in the affected areas, but I find it quite odd that I started getting dry upper arms and it's now gone down to my forearms. :confused: Shall report back with what they say.

ReputationRep:
    i haven't been on here for ages, but i thought i'd say that i came off roaccutane about a month ago. since then, the dry skin has gone away, but the downside is while on roaccutane i could leave my hair for 3/4 days without it getting greasy, now it's gone back to needing to be washed every other day so many people have commented on how much better my skin looks! since coming off it i've had 2 or 3 spots, most of them very small, and disappearing very quickly after using a little clearsail spot treatment. i'm really happy i went on the treatment, and this is coming from someone who was really worried about side effects before going on it

btw, i recommend natraderm moisturising cream from hollland and barrett for dry skin. worked a treat on my hands, arms and face. Flash6289, my forearms went dry too, it's normal!

how on earth do you get the prescription? ive been to the GP for tetracylin with no success!

ReputationRep:
    That's good to hear razzle dazzle

(Original post by Anonymous)
    how on earth do you get the prescription? ive been to the GP for tetracylin with no success!
    You need to get your GP to refer you to a dermatologist.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that razzle dazzle... I was thinking I may have ringworm or something when I first saw the dry bits on my forearms, because the dermatologist didn't say anything about my arms getting dry! >_<

And another thing, I've noticed that when I leave my facial hair to grow a fair bit, I get small white dandruff-like flakes in the stubble/hair, lol... so if you're on Roaccutane it's best to stay shaven!

ReputationRep:
    My elbows went dry, and I got a few small flaky patches when exposed to the sun too long.

Yeah, I know what you mean :p:

Been on it since august... coming off soon. Been really good though, no problems at all!

ReputationRep:
    Mustard Man, sorry to keep asking - but how's the skin now? :p: I see above you wrote that you were having the occasional breakouts -what do you mean by this? Like you used to have, or just a few small spots and nothing more.

I may be going on Roaccutane in the near future And unsure about it tbh.

Oh, and does it work for acne on the back?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I've had the rough end of the stick so far, been taking for a while now and I've had muscle pains in my legs, super dry lips even with loads of vaseline etc, and really quite bad headaches....but the benefits in the long term outweigh these side-effects for me. Don't let this put you off, as most people barely even notice anything but dry skin!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Mustard Man, sorry to keep asking - but how's the skin now? :p: I see above you wrote that you were having the occasional breakouts -what do you mean by this? Like you used to have, or just a few small spots and nothing more.

I may be going on Roaccutane in the near future And unsure about it tbh.

Oh, and does it work for acne on the back?
    Of course not, this what the thread is for

What breakout really means is sudden outbreak of spots (I'll use the term spot for general acne). What I ocassionally get isn't really a 'breakout', it's just to a lesser extent, i.e. one or two spots at this most. This is what I get from time to time, usually it's after I've been stuffing myself with lots of truffles, or something uber-fatty

Erm... I've heard that it works on the back, but I've not heard of any who has been prescribed it solely for the back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    Of course not, this what the thread is for

What breakout really means is sudden outbreak of spots (I'll use the term spot for general acne). What I ocassionally get isn't really a 'breakout', it's just to a lesser extent, i.e. one or two spots at this most. This is what I get from time to time, usually it's after I've been stuffing myself with lots of truffles, or something uber-fatty

Erm... I've heard that it works on the back, but I've not heard of any who has been prescribed it solely for the back.

It's good to hear that you don't get major breakouts :hugs: How long have you been off of it now?

And yeah, I've got bad acne on my face, but it seems to be on/off worse on my back, and sometimes my chest :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leonidas)
    Unfortunately, I've had the rough end of the stick so far, been taking for a while now and I've had muscle pains in my legs, super dry lips even with loads of vaseline etc, and really quite bad headaches....but the benefits in the long term outweigh these side-effects for me. Don't let this put you off, as most people barely even notice anything but dry skin!
    Mine weren't that bad, fortunately. The muscle pains only occured when I excercised. And the dry lips were okay with enough vaseline. I had headaches the first 2 weeks, IIRC, but then they ceased.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.