Roaccutance - information and personal log Watch

jointhedots
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by misslibby)
I took it when I was about 15...It totally dried my skin out all over, gave me nosebleeds at least once every couple of days, caused my lips to chap/bleed, I had awful headaches, nausea and generally stroppiness, but the effect it had was amazing. I'd tried everything else that my GP/dermatologist would prescribe but roaccutane cleared my skin totally and it's remained clear since.
I forgot one - I also used to bruise very easily while I was on it, I had constantly bruised er, cheeks, until I learnt that I had to sit down very gently on the chairs at school!
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It will **** you up emotionally. You may not notice, but it will.
I knew there would be a post like this. It does not **** everyone's emotions up, it may for a small minority of people, but not all, otherwise this drug would have been pulled off the market 20 years ago.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
I think that having the piss taken out of me relentlessly when I was 12-14 because my face looked like a pizza was far more damaging emotionally.

I took it when I was about 15...It totally dried my skin out all over, gave me nosebleeds at least once every couple of days, caused my lips to chap/bleed, I had awful headaches, nausea and generally stroppiness, but the effect it had was amazing. I'd tried everything else that my GP/dermatologist would prescribe but roaccutane cleared my skin totally and it's remained clear since.

Horrible while I was on it, but totally worth it in the end, it boosted my self esteem so much.
I forgot one - I also used to bruise very easily while I was on it, I had constantly bruised er, cheeks, until I learnt that I had to sit down very gently on the chairs at school!
Glad it worked out for you in the end. Did you get any signs of depression, because those side-effects must of ruined your self-esteem a bit.
Ariadne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I went on Roaccutane two years ago, and it worked wonders - in the long term a real success story. However I had a hellish time whilst on it - I lost masses of hair and got really depressed. But, my hair has completely replenished itself and I'm now as happy as the next person! So yeah, there are problems with Roacc. but unless you're REALLY unlucky the good far outweighs the bad. Besides which, i reckon that I had a bad experience with it because I was on an intensive course - I took 4 pills a day for about 10 weeks.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ariadne)
I went on Roaccutane two years ago, and it worked wonders - in the long term a real success story. However I had a hellish time whilst on it - I lost masses of hair and got really depressed. But, my hair has completely replenished itself and I'm now as happy as the next person! So yeah, there are problems with Roacc. but unless you're REALLY unlucky the good far outweighs the bad. Besides which, i reckon that I had a bad experience with it because I was on an intensive course - I took 4 pills a day for about 10 weeks.
How many mg were you on a day?
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
Glad it worked out for you in the end. Did you get any signs of depression, because those side-effects must of ruined your self-esteem a bit.
I've been going to councelling on and off since I was 14 for depression, I wouldn't say roaccutane made it worse. To be honest at that point, and I hate to sound emo but whatever, my self esteem about how I looked couldn't have got much lower, weird and illogical as it sounds I was just glad that the spots were going...
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
I've been going to councelling on and off since I was 14 for depression, I wouldn't say roaccutane made it worse. To be honest at that point, and I hate to sound emo but whatever, my self esteem about how I looked couldn't have got much lower, weird and illogical as it sounds I was just glad that the spots were going...
Was the depression initally due to the acne, because you only mentioned you got taken the piss out of, was that what caused the depression?

Hope you get better (if you still get depression)
jointhedots
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Was the depression initally due to the acne, because you only mentioned you got taken the piss out of, was that what caused the depression?

Hope you get better (if you still get depression)
Nah who knows, all my family seem to have some kind of problem like that! Heh, it didn't help though.

Thanks; I'm good
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it's recommended that you don't take it if you already have a history of depression.

I was offered a course of Roaccutane last summer when I was 19. I eventually decided not to take it because a) history of depression b) side effects sounded horrific! and c) it would have been better to offer me Roaccutane when I was 13/14, when my acne was worse than it is now.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
day 8 - 03/04

Face gone a bit dry and ocassionally my leg joints ache
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
day 11 - 06/04

I lot of reduction in sebum, as a result, my skin looks clearer because the shininess kind of 'enhances' the red marks. My lips have gone mega-dry, I have to constantly lick my lips. I've had a few large spots here and there, but they seem to be more 'controlled', i.e. they seem to die quicker (scums). I havn't had any muscular aches recently, headaches have gone.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
day 11 - 06/04

I lot of reduction in sebum, as a result, my skin looks clearer because the shininess kind of 'enhances' the red marks. My lips have gone mega-dry, I have to constantly lick my lips. I've had a few large spots here and there, but they seem to be more 'controlled', i.e. they seem to die quicker (scums). I havn't had any muscular aches recently, headaches have gone.

i know it won't fix it, but aloe vera vaseline is a god-send for dry lips because the aloe-vera helps with the healing, i go throuh phases of having really dry lips and i end up using tons of the stuff!

good luck with the rest of your course, just out of interest is it being prescribed on the nhs or privately (and if private, how much?)

lou xxx
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou p lou)

i know it won't fix it, but aloe vera vaseline is a god-send for dry lips because the aloe-vera helps with the healing, i go throuh phases of having really dry lips and i end up using tons of the stuff!

good luck with the rest of your course, just out of interest is it being prescribed on the nhs or privately (and if private, how much?)

lou xxx
cheers for that lou. It's quite random, I don't always get dry lips. Like today, my lips are perfectly fine :confused:

It's on the nhs, but I've heard that this drug is very expensive.
aaronc2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Good luck with this - apparently it permanently reduces most peoples acne btw (incase you didnt know, which is unlikely - o well....)
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
day 11 - 06/04

DO NOT lick your lips1!! it really does make it wprse, talking from personal experience :p:
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaronc2)
Good luck with this - apparently it permanently reduces most peoples acne btw (incase you didnt know, which is unlikely - o well....)
:p: lol, yeah I did know, cheers.

(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
DO NOT lick your lips1!! it really does make it wprse, talking from personal experience :p:
but it's so addictive
*starry_eyed_*
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:p: lol, yeah I did know, cheers.

but it's so addictive
just don't do iiiitt!! lol if you were female i would recommend elizabeth arden..ummm nice silky lips again :p:
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by *starry_eyed_*)
just don't do iiiitt!! lol if you were female i would recommend elizabeth arden..ummm nice silky lips again :p:
lol, might give it a try
aaronc2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
did anyone hear that taking huge amounts of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) is alleged to cure acne. I am not reccomending this, just wondering if anyone has heard about it because I saw it on a few wbsties, maybe its just some hoax :confused:
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaronc2)
did anyone hear that taking huge amounts of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) is alleged to cure acne. I am not reccomending this, just wondering if anyone has heard about it because I saw it on a few wbsties, maybe its just some hoax :confused:
Why? Are you planning to get some?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads