Roaccutance - information and personal log Watch

Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The most I drank was a couple of pints. I guess it's okay once in a while, but don't over do it as your liver is already under strain from the accutane.
Micky13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
mustard man or neone that can help:
how long did it take for the drug to clear nearly all your acne once u were on ur full dose..? 2 months? 3 months? 4 months?!
thanks
FK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
from what i can remember it takes about 3 months or so to really feel free, its a gradual process.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Yeah, about 3 months for me as well. But it can vary from people to people.
Innuendo_anonymous
Report 10 years ago
Hey. I was just wondering if its possible for your body to become resistant to roaccutane because after around 2-3 weeks of being on it the skin on my face was dry and flaky when I woke up in the morning. Recently however, the only thing that has been that dry are my lips, whereas my skin seems to be much less dry than it was before. Also I think this may have started to happen when I may have missed one day of roaccutane (I say "may" because I couldn't remember if I'd taken them or not say I may have in fact taken them I just cant remember lol). Would this cause this kind of reaction? Just a bit confused lol.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
Hmm... How long have you been on it for?
Innuendo_anonymous
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
Hmm... How long have you been on it for?
Coming up to 7 weeks this saturday.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
I doubt missing just one dosage would have that effect. If the drug still seems to be working (against the acne), then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if it is resistance, the dermatologist wouldn't be able to do much about it. You'd be told to finish the course, and wait 6 months before any other medication (or any special facial treatment, e.g. dermabrasion) can be issued. Just continue your normal daily cleaning routine and use moisturiser if needed.

Has your diet changed recently? Have you started taking certain supplements recently?
Innuendo_anonymous
Report 10 years ago
I doubt missing just one dosage would have that effect. If the drug still seems to be working (against the acne), then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if it is resistance, the dermatologist wouldn't be able to do much about it. You'd be told to finish the course, and wait 6 months before any other medication (or any special facial treatment, e.g. dermabrasion) can be issued. Just continue your normal daily cleaning routine and use moisturiser if needed.

Has your diet changed recently? Have you started taking certain supplements recently?
Ahh thanks for the reply .

Ermm not really. I've probably been eating a bit more junk food but not much more. And nah no supplements lol.

I'll just see what happens in the future. Hopefully will still work against the spots.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Innuendo_anonymous)
Ahh thanks for the reply .

Ermm not really. I've probably been eating a bit more junk food but not much more. And nah no supplements lol.

I'll just see what happens in the future. Hopefully will still work against the spots.
No probs

Haha... Yeah, like 2 months into the Roaccutane course I started lavishing on junk food more (KFC, fish and chips). Ah, I remember the first time (in a long time) I laid my teeth into succulent fried chicken drumstick... :coma: :p:
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You cant become resistant to it. And missing one dose wont matter at all, i missed about 4 days in the middle of my course and the derm said it didnt matter at all. By the end of the course tho my skin was less dry than it was when I started, so your body does get more used to it.
Micky13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
would u recommend you eat healthy whislt on the drug or does it not matter?
Reicey_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay, my medication isnt working as well as it used to anymore...i'm having mini breakouts all over my face.
Do you think it's because my body isnt responding to the medication anymore, or because i'm on my period?

Also, as i've been taking it for nearly a year do you think my acne will soon naturally clear up or will i have to take this medication for the rest of my life lol?
.:Emma:.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I took Roaccutane about a year ago now probably, for 4 months and it completely cleared my face up, don;t really have any spots now if you look at my pic, well maybe the odd one or two. A year is a very long time to be on this steroid, it can be quite aggressive, i remember having very dry peeling lips which really hurt. Tbh im surprised theyve let you take it for a year, i remember my dermatologist not really wanting me on it for any longer than the time i was on it, and even when you come off it, its still working for a bit after. Sorry this doesn;t really help that much, but best of luck x
Cj-Tj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Reicey_x)
Do you think it's because my body isnt responding to the medication anymore, or because i'm on my period?

Also, as i've been taking it for nearly a year do you think my acne will soon naturally clear up or will i have to take this medication for the rest of my life lol?
Probs cos your on your period. What dose are/have you been on?

Micky; eating healthilty wont do any harm, but I wouldnt say its essensial. I tried to eat well until my acne had gone down, but then once it was gone at what I wanted.
Micky13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
cheers Cj...just out of interest....when u went up to full dose...how many weeks/months did it take for u personally until it cleared ur face of nearly all ur acne? because i've been on full dose now for 7 weeks....with some improvement but i don't really know when to expect massive improvement, if that makes sense?
cheers
Cj-Tj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Full dose? I was on 60mg/day from start to finish, 4 months in total. Erm, after about 3 months I would have thought... maybe a little less.... 8 to 10 weeks? Tbh I cant remember although it was only a couple of months ago. Stick with it though, tis a fabulous drug if you dont get any major side effects.
Mustard-man
Rep:
?
(Original post by Micky13)
would u recommend you eat healthy whislt on the drug or does it not matter?
Eating a 'normal' diet is fine, obviously eating healthy would be better... The only thing they really mention is watch your vitamin A consumption.

(Original post by Reicey_x)
Sorry, but is this Roaccutane? Over 6 months is not normal protocol
Cj-Tj
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sorry, but is this Roaccutane? Over 6 months is not normal protocol
Nah, ive heard of a few people on low doses take it for up to a year. Sort of 10-40mg per day range.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi guys

I'm thinking of going back to my doctor to see if they would refer me for Roaccutane again. I was referred for it about three years ago and even saw a derm about it but was too scared about the side effects and so decided against it.

However, I'm now 22, have had acne for 10 years now and am frankly getting fed up of being duped by various skincare companies I'm a young person and it doesn't seem wrong to want nice skin So I was thinking of seeing if they would consider me for it again (I still have persistent acne on my face, shoulders and chest area, though my back has cleared up considerably in the past year or two).

However, I can foresee a couple of problems:
1) I'm likely moving to France forever before Christmas, so I wouldn't be in the country to continue being monitored (I *could*, I suppose, come back to England for monitoring every so often, but if we're honest, that's a pain :p: ).
2) Last time we had this conversation, my boyfriend was horrified at the idea of me going onto Roaccutane and I have no reason to believe that his reaction would be any different (seriously, I think he would have been happier if I'd said I was thinking of taking LSD :p: ). I just want nice skin I'm now nearly the same age as he was when we met and he had grown out of his acne by then. I still haven't grown out of mine...

So, any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (252)
27.21%
No (674)
72.79%

Watched Threads