Turn on thread page Beta

Roaccutance - information and personal log watch

ReputationRep:
    i've drank while i've been on it!!! not excessively tho...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well im nearing the end of my course but I have one problem. I think the roaccutane may increased the amount of hair I shed. Im not certain bt it seems that my parting is more visible than it used to be and for the last few days I've just been having a lil freak out Did anyone else experience some hair thinning and if so did it come back after you stopped? It is supposed to be temporary but on google there are loads of horror stories about how people are still losing hair years later.

EDIT: Would I be better off finishing my course a month early?
    I should probably mention that I've lost a stone in the last 8 weeks due to a very poor diet mainly consisting of microwave meals and very little fruit and veg if that makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innuendo_anonymous)
    Hmm well im nearing the end of my course but I have one problem. I think the roaccutane may increased the amount of hair I shed. Im not certain bt it seems that my parting is more visible than it used to be and for the last few days I've just been having a lil freak out Did anyone else experience some hair thinning and if so did it come back after you stopped? It is supposed to be temporary but on google there are loads of horror stories about how people are still losing hair years later.

EDIT: Would I be better off finishing my course a month early?
    I should probably mention that I've lost a stone in the last 8 weeks due to a very poor diet mainly consisting of microwave meals and very little fruit and veg if that makes a difference.
    Well sort your diet out as a first priority. That sort of diet might well cause hair loss as you dont have the minerals and vitamins to keep you healthy. Im gussing you've just gone to uni. Believe me, with a little time and imagination eating well doesnt have to be difficult or expensive. I found that afterwards even though my skin was mainly clear, eating well really helped.

However, there is a very small possibility that it is roaccutane doing that. There are cases of complete or partial hair loss, some of which is permanant, some of which is temporary. Its mentioned in the side effects sheet, but I havent heard of many people with it, there are far more common side effects associated with the drug.

So yeah, sort out your diet first, then see if your hair improves. My money would be on diet as opposed to the drug. Remember though that your putting alot of stress on your body being on rocaccutane anyway, dont make life hard by eating badly as well. How near to the end of your course are you? Doesage? How clear is your skin? If its completly clear then you might be able to stop or drop your dose right down to 10 or 20mg/day. Either way, your derm will advise you to carry on at full doesage til the end unless your hair loss gets really bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Innuendo_anonymous)
    Did anyone else experience some hair thinning and if so did it come back after you stopped? It is supposed to be temporary but on google there are loads of horror stories about how people are still losing hair years later.
    Whilst on the course, I did notice every morning on my pillow a few strands that had fallen out over night, but nothing serious or shocking. Now it's sort of fine, but only when I'm washing my hair and running my hands through my hair do I notice strands falling off. Again, nothing serious (I've got enough hair anyway :p:).

Whilst on the course oil is stripped in many places, including your hair (hence the lack of need to wash hair :P), which is probably the cause of minor hair loss(?). But when I came off I gradually noticed it returning and my hair holding back to normal. But of course, there are those rare, unfortunate cases where some side-effects are unreversible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    Whilst on the course, I did notice every morning on my pillow a few strands that had fallen out over night, but nothing serious or shocking. Now it's sort of fine, but only when I'm washing my hair and running my hands through my hair do I notice strands falling off. Again, nothing serious (I've got enough hair anyway :p:).

Whilst on the course oil is stripped in many places, including your hair (hence the lack of need to wash hair :P), which is probably the cause of minor hair loss(?). But when I came off I gradually noticed it returning and my hair holding back to normal. But of course, there are those rare, unfortunate cases where some side-effects are unreversible...

Ahhh thanks for the reply . Hopefully Ill be stressing over nothing 'cause I've always shed a lot of hair but I couldn't tell if I was shedding more than I used to or what:rolleyes: I think there has been a little bit of thinning but hopefully it'll come back when I stop .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Well sort your diet out as a first priority. That sort of diet might well cause hair loss as you dont have the minerals and vitamins to keep you healthy. Im gussing you've just gone to uni. Believe me, with a little time and imagination eating well doesnt have to be difficult or expensive. I found that afterwards even though my skin was mainly clear, eating well really helped.

However, there is a very small possibility that it is roaccutane doing that. There are cases of complete or partial hair loss, some of which is permanant, some of which is temporary. Its mentioned in the side effects sheet, but I havent heard of many people with it, there are far more common side effects associated with the drug.

So yeah, sort out your diet first, then see if your hair improves. My money would be on diet as opposed to the drug. Remember though that your putting alot of stress on your body being on rocaccutane anyway, dont make life hard by eating badly as well. How near to the end of your course are you? Doesage? How clear is your skin? If its completly clear then you might be able to stop or drop your dose right down to 10 or 20mg/day. Either way, your derm will advise you to carry on at full doesage til the end unless your hair loss gets really bad.
    Sorry I didn't notice this reply lol. I just scrolled down to the very bottom of the screen:rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply, heres some rep

Hi guys,

Basically i've been on roaccutane for near 6 months now...on quite a high dose - 75mg - and my acne has settled down. I don't think it is active now (touch wood!) but there are very unsightly red marks where the cysts used to be and they don't seem to go...so i was wondering if anyone had had experience of this and if so, do the red marks fade once you stop the course....and how quickly do they fade in terms of months?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'll be starting accutane after i get my blood test results back.(yay)

Was wondering what moisturiser people used while on the treatment. My skin is very sensitive, even to E45.

Thanxs!!

ReputationRep:
    I just used E45 / Aqueous cream and Bio oil. Also remember to get some vaseline for the lips.

ReputationRep:
    I started Roaccutane a week ago, my acne's not that bad, most of it is slight scarring due to me being unable to stop squeezing any spots or blackheads. I've been given a only a small dose of10mg/day for the first 2 weeks, next week I will start 20mg/day for another 2 weeks. Then I have an appointment with my dermatologist and I'll have another blood test.

So far I have developed a few spots (red marks only) and I have only dried slightly, my muscles don't hurt (thank God!) and I've been going to the gym Monday- Friday, and I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I have also been having some slight headaches. I just can't wait for all this to be over so I can drink and have clear as possible skin.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

Basically i've been on roaccutane for near 6 months now...on quite a high dose - 75mg - and my acne has settled down. I don't think it is active now (touch wood!) but there are very unsightly red marks where the cysts used to be and they don't seem to go...so i was wondering if anyone had had experience of this and if so, do the red marks fade once you stop the course....and how quickly do they fade in terms of months?

thanks!
    anyone?!?!

ReputationRep:
    These red marks (often referred to as post inflammatory hyper pigmentation) are very common after the skin has been inflamed and will fade in time. They aren't actually scars but might take several months or over a year to fade after you finish roaccutane. There are a number of things you can try to speed this process up (ask your dermatologist or see the forums on acne.org) but it's probably best not to try anything harsh so soon after roaccutane.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if roaccutane effects how much alcohol you can drink before getting drunk or whether it will be the same as before you took roaccutane? Finished my 6 month course on friday and it will be my first session tonight and just wondered whether I should take it easy or not

ReputationRep:
    It would be sensible to take it easy-ish. Not least because your body will be out of the loop as it were with drinking so your liver wont be able to handle as much booze as it used to. Also your liver will still be processing the roaccutane, it stays in your system for about a month. So go out and have fun but dont down drinks and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I havent had the time to read this whole thread....but i went to a private BUPA derm and she said I have to go on roaccutane. She also told me I would have to pay 400-500 quid for one course. Can i get this drug on the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    Yes..... methinks, but not sure, that you can ger her to write a prescription and cash it in at any pharmacy which stocks roaccutane, not all do. So it will cost you £7.10 or whatever it is for an NHS presciption, while getting the faster service of BUPA when you need to see someone. You will still have to pay for blood tests and to see the derm, but the drug itself can, I believe, be got on the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can get it on NHS. Depending on your status you may be able to get it for completely free like I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speculator)
    I havent had the time to read this whole thread....but i went to a private BUPA derm and she said I have to go on roaccutane. She also told me I would have to pay 400-500 quid for one course. Can i get this drug on the NHS?
    You can get it on the NHS, but you need to be referred by a Dermatologist under the NHS. The only way your going to be able to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a shame to let such a long-running thread die :tongue:

I started taking Roaccutane 4 days ago - 20mg, two capsules a day. At the moment my face has gotten pretty bad. Before starting Roaccutane I was on oxytetracylcine and Zineryt facial solution, which kept my acne from getting any worse. Since stopping all that things have gone downhill rapidly...

From what I've read in this thread and elsewhere, the Roaccutane will take weeks and weeks before it starts helping the situation. I'm not too keen of the sound of that - there's no way I could wait that long. It's already getting to the stage where it's painful to move my mouth to smile/eat Yet Roaccutane was kinda a last hope...the future suddenly looks so uncertain :confused:

Yeah, it's common in the first few weeks to have a few breakouts...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.