Turn on thread page Beta

Roaccutance - information and personal log watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you. Mine's just started flaring up again Gonna see my GP and see what he says.

ReputationRep:
    You have a short course mine is over 6 months, you should go back to see the dermatologist.

What happened at the end of your loast course, did you go back to the derm and have blod tests etc?

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I was told I would only get the stuff for 4 months because that was as long a course as they prescribed.

ReputationRep:
    im a fan of pictures telling a thousand words, and before i went on roaccutane i always liked looking at pictures rather than descriptions of peoples skin.

so here are my pictures:

May 2009:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7006/77144511.png http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/771...png/1/w535.png
    Today (August 2009):
    http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9061/31558674.png http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/315...png/1/w571.png

ReputationRep:
    Was on it for nearly 6 months, had pretty bad acne on face and back. Ended it back in October last year. Never had to go on it more than the initial time. Side affects were the usual - dry red skin, dry lips, nose bleeds sometimes towards last few months. I still need to moisturise my face every day though I guess it's good for the skin anyway.

Haven't got a picture from before roaccutane, but you can see the result on profile if you'd like. Don't worry about the scars by the way, they slowly fade over time. I didn't use bio-oil or anything, just moisturising every day.

ReputationRep:
    Your skin has realy cleared! Was it similar on your face? I only had very few on my chest and back.

Apart from fading over time is there anything else you can for scars, even though when I look in the mirror they look really light, in photos they look as though there are still spots there and it does get me down.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen people say bio-oil is really good for getting rid of scars in general, but i've never tried it.

ReputationRep:
    Bio oil is definately meant to be good for scars. I'm gonna start trying some when i get off roaccutane to see if it clears up the scars left on my chest and face

hi,
    I live in Hk and my derm there went through all the procedures to get me on accutane, I tried several creams, antibiotics over 2 years till he decided to try accutane as last resort. But see I go to school in the UK and I can only get the accutane from the derm in HK. So I had my first 2 weeks on accutane in HK after being checked I could go on it from my blood test results.

Well its near the end of summer now and I am set to leave back to UK for 3 months, so the derm gave 3 month supply of 20mg tablets ( the one im used to) and asked me to make sure I get blood tests done in the UK. Where can I get these blood tests done? Do i go to my GP? Would it be expensive?

Thanks u

anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    anyone
    You could go to a GP, or to a private dermatologist. Im not sure if youd have to pay for the GP, but you would for the derm.

The GP might just tell you to go to see a derm. Youd have to go private as the NHS waiting list is too long for you to wait to have a blood test.

My advice is to phone a derm local to the uni your going to and tell them whats happening, and make an appointment for when you need the blood test. You may also need a letter rom your derm in HK, and possibly a medical record.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.