Turn on thread page Beta

Roaccutance - information and personal log watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with this m8, Ive just finished taking it myself. ive been on 50mg a day for four months and its definitely worked. ive not had any outbreaks for about 2 months now. The side effects I had were dry skin and lips, and nose bleeds. After about 5 weeks, the nose bleeds stopped though.
    My advice to you is use lots of moisturizer and vaseline or lip balm for your lips. I used e45 which was very gd. You might wanna check out www.acne.org, there are lots of accutane logs there.
    good luck, all the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street)
    Good luck with this m8, Ive just finished taking it myself. ive been on 50mg a day for four months and its definitely worked. ive not had any outbreaks for about 2 months now. The side effects I had were dry skin and lips, and nose bleeds. After about 5 weeks, the nose bleeds stopped though.
    My advice to you is use lots of moisturizer and vaseline or lip balm for your lips. I used e45 which was very gd. You might wanna check out www.acne.org, there are lots of accutane logs there.
    good luck, all the best.
    cheers, my mum already gave me E45, as well as aquas cream, AND lorele(sp?) mosturiser! :rolleyes: Mums these days.....

Day 13 - 08/04
    Lips are dry but smooth :confused: Had a few breakouts, don't really understand the logic behind it because surely the breakouts should cease if there is no sebum? Parts of my face are flakey I still have muscle pains (in joints) when I turn in awkward positions. Nothing much else to say really.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mustard-man)
    Why? Are you planning to get some?
    no, I dont suffer from acne - I used to have a bit, and discovered this when I was looking for info. Have you heard about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaronc2)
    no, I dont suffer from acne - I used to have a bit, and discovered this when I was looking for info. Have you heard about it?
    yeah, people on message boards claim that it works, but personally I think its utter sh*t. This is the stuff which (possibly) made my acne worse, it says that it gets worse before it gets better. I only got to the worse 'phase'.

ReputationRep:
    Hey mustard man, I've had a major if not magnificent improvement; but am suffering very dry lips at the moment. You will thank me later when I tell you to keep slapping on vaseline into your lips, even if you think they are fine, same goes with your hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arktos)
    Hey mustard man, I've had a major if not magnificent improvement; but am suffering very dry lips at the moment. You will thank me later when I tell you to keep slapping on vaseline into your lips, even if you think they are fine, same goes with your hands.
    Oh great, I'm looking forward to it!

How long have you been on it?

ReputationRep:
    About 10 weeks now, btw I meant use moisturiser on your hands, not vaseline lol.

ReputationRep:
    Day 16:- face gone mega dry, no shininess at all. Got chapped lips, my hair does not get greasy as quickly as it used to. Had quite a few breakouts over the past couple of days; I think this is the breakout phase that many people say they've experienced.

This is so weird. I went to my GP today because of my acne (I first went about an ear infection, and he put me on a course of erythromycin + clindamycin lotion to cure my acne, as well as drugs for the infection, saying I should come back if nothing happened, and it didn't, so I went back), and he said that because the acne was unresponsive, he was going to send me to a consultant dermatologist at my local hospital, who would probably prescribe me roaccutane. I come home, log onto TSR, and find this thread. Spooky!

ReputationRep:
    I was on 30mg a day and only had one blip in the treatment, where I had bad headaches, back pains and feeling sick. However I stopped taking it for a week and it went away, restarted the treatment and i don't have acne anymore!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    I was on 30mg a day and only had one blip in the treatment, where I had bad headaches, back pains and feeling sick. However I stopped taking it for a week and it went away, restarted the treatment and i don't have acne anymore!
    :p: lol

Day 19 - 14/05
    Had an annoying headache throughout the whole day, this was the first time, the past headaches were just short spells. Had a few big breakouts on the side of my chin and above the jawline. I think I have now reached the 'breakout stage' where I will experience breakouts for around 2 weeks (from what I heard) before it gets better.

Day 20 - 15/05
    No sign of headache.

Day 21 - 16/05
    Breakouts again (although these were gradual) 3 on my nose, 2 of them you can't really see as they are basically in my nose!!:eek: Also 2 on my forehead. My face is still dry, my hair is not greasy at all and my lips are fine after applying vaseline for the night. I'm dreading the next couple of weeks, but after that it should start to improve.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished with my course of roaccutane not too long ago. I was on 40mg a day for around 8 months and experienced only minor side-effects like dry lips and skin throughout the whole time, but a good supply of vaseline and aqeous cream sorts that out.

(Original post by Mustard-man)
    Breakouts again (although these were gradual) 3 on my nose, 2 of them you can't really see as they are basically in my nose!!:eek: Also 2 on my forehead. My face is still dry, my hair is not greasy at all and my lips are fine after applying vaseline for the night. I'm dreading the next couple of weeks, but after that it should start to improve.
    When you start taking roaccutane the spots do get worse for a while. But trust me, they will improve and gradually go completely, just try and stay positive.

I have to say I am very impressed with the results. I had spots for 5 years and they wouldn't respond to any other treatment. Roaccutane cleared me completely and haven't had any breakouts after I stopped. Good luck with your treatment Mustard-man, I'm sure this stuff will sort you out. Just don't forget the vaseline and moisteuriser like arktos said. It is a life-saver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyri)
    I just finished with my course of roaccutane not too long ago. I was on 40mg a day for around 8 months and experienced only minor side-effects like dry lips and skin throughout the whole time, but a good supply of vaseline and aqeous cream sorts that out.

When you start taking roaccutane the spots do get worse for a while. But trust me, they will improve and gradually go completely, just try and stay positive.
    wow, that was a long time! Usually it's 4 or 5months......

How long did you breakout for whilst on it, before seeing improvements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyri)
    I have to say I am very impressed with the results. I had spots for 5 years and they wouldn't respond to any other treatment. Roaccutane cleared me completely and haven't had any breakouts after I stopped. Good luck with your treatment Mustard-man, I'm sure this stuff will sort you out. Just don't forget the vaseline and moisteuriser like arktos said. It is a life-saver.
    :ditto: it really has done the trick, very effective treatment. Though i was on it for longer because i refused to take them part way through - slight depression was really all that i experienced.

how long you got on them, mustard?

ReputationRep:
    The reason for it taking so long was because of my back. My face cleared up quite fast - around 4 months. But the spots on my back were persistent little buggers. My dermatologist kept me on it for longer because my body seemed to not be handling it too badly. It worked in the end though.

I'd say I didn't see any big improvements until a month after I started. The dermatologist told me he wasn't expecting to see any improvement the next time he saw me, which was the case. It may vary from person to person and also depends on what dosage you are on, but believe me they will get better in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I was on roaccutane on an 8 month course. At first like many have said my sports flared up but then dramatically disappeared. If any girl is offered the option of going on the pill called Dianette as well as the roaccutane then I'd definately recommend it as it boosted the treatment and aftewards kept it at bay. The only side effects I felt were cracked, sore lips and dry skin. After 3 previous years of trying pointless tablets and creams roaccutane is the best option for any frequent acne sufferer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)

how long you got on them, mustard?
    21 days.

ReputationRep:
    Hey just wanted to say good luck.

One of my friends has just come off it, and his face is a hundred times better, plus hes more confident as a result of it. Am i right that you can't drink alcohol while on it? I think thats the worse side effect my friend had lol.

On the dry skin side of things, i've had excema all my life, and it cleared up through my teens but came back with vengence recently. ANYWAY E45 is not always the best cream to use for dry skin as in my experiences its way to think for the face, which ends up blocking pores, and because it was so think it made me stratch my face. Obviously you may not have this problem, (i have uber sensitive skin), so try E45 for a while but if its not helping or making it worse try a lighter cream.

Sorry for that waffling. Good luck, i know how horrible skin probs can be.

ReputationRep:
    Acne is generally caused by a yeast infection somewhere in the body. My bro had awful acne and was on antibiotics for years. Found a pill called Primal Defense which is just a load of bacteria, and after a month or two it has really cleared up and nearly gone. Suggest having a read about it as it is natural and has no side effects. It helps immune system etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~the_one~)
    Hey just wanted to say good luck.

One of my friends has just come off it, and his face is a hundred times better, plus hes more confident as a result of it. Am i right that you can't drink alcohol while on it? I think thats the worse side effect my friend had lol.
    cheers. :p: No, you're not meant to drink alcohol, alcohol and accutane, I think I heard, run in a common pathway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2009
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.