Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd start a thread for this year.

I'm hoping to study Professional Sound and video Tech starting this September at Salford. Like most people, I'll be sitting test modules 1 and 3. Also like most people (I assume) I am bricking it over module 3.

I've downloaded the sample tests and done them at home each time scoring in the region of 60% or so. Having then understood the correct answers, the only reason I'm not scoring higher is that I am massively overthinking the questions. i don't think they are anywhere near as complicated as I am making them and if I just read them properly and broke them down I think they are mostly quite reasonable. But I just panic each time!

Anyone else doing the test in a few weeks and getting overwrought about it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. No one else?

Sh!t.

ReputationRep:
    I am doing mine on Wednesday evening. Also 1 and 3. I have read through the free revision document. Not yet don't the maths test. I am worried about sitting still for 2 hours after a cat crash last Monday. I have just done my level 2 maths so hoping this won't be too hard. Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annmarietracey)
    I am doing mine on Wednesday evening. Also 1 and 3. I have read through the free revision document. Not yet don't the maths test. I am worried about sitting still for 2 hours after a cat crash last Monday. I have just done my level 2 maths so hoping this won't be too hard. Xx
    Hopefully that will be a good foot up for you - GOOD LUCK. I've not done any science/maths since I was 15 (and I'm 34 now) so I'm rather nervous!

I did the practice paper(s) that you can find online but there is very little correlation between them. I get the impression that they heavily rely on the "reasoning" part.

What will you be studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacerboon)
    Hopefully that will be a good foot up for you - GOOD LUCK. I've not done any science/maths since I was 15 (and I'm 34 now) so I'm rather nervous!

I did the practice paper(s) that you can find online but there is very little correlation between them. I get the impression that they heavily rely on the "reasoning" part.

What will you be studying?
    Aawww good luck to you also. I will be studying social work fingers crossed. What about you?? Xxx

ReputationRep:
    Professional Sound and Video Technology (if all goes well tomorrow).

It's so strange. I've not sat any exams/tests for so long that I'm a very weird mix of terrified and excited. I think I might need to lay off the caffeine tomorrow or I'll be all over the place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacerboon)
    Professional Sound and Video Technology (if all goes well tomorrow).

It's so strange. I've not sat any exams/tests for so long that I'm a very weird mix of terrified and excited. I think I might need to lay off the caffeine tomorrow or I'll be all over the place!
    Aawwww fingers crossed for u. And for me lol xxx
    I have mixed feelings also. Just hope we do well and get in i will be devastated if not xx

ReputationRep:
    Ah I’m doing them today and haven’t done any maths for years, I tryed to look at the practice paper and found it so confusingly hard! I feel like I’ve fwiled already don’t know what to do to prepare x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nbrown1)
    Ah I’m doing them today and haven’t done any maths for years, I tryed to look at the practice paper and found it so confusingly hard! I feel like I’ve fwiled already don’t know what to do to prepare x
    I've spent ages pulling apart the practice paper I downloaded to make sure I understood it. I then tried to do a second paper i found and scored exactly the same! I don't think you can really prepare for it. The content is so wildly different every year that no amount of revision can prepare you. I think the most important thing is to remember that it is "REASONING" in science and maths. Its going to be a matter of not getting flustered and just making sure you read the questions properly before trying to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    I’m trying to get my head around what it means by reasoning? Yeah I’ve just gone through the paper some of it I get correct their were a few I found hard to work out like he firefighter shift pattern. Just going to have to try my best.. feel like my career rests on today alone x

ReputationRep:
    By including "reasoning" its saying that it doesn't really matter how you get to the answer. It isn't testing for any particular competencies; its just about showing you can read the data and reach an answer based on it. From what i've read the biggest pitfall is people not reading the question properly.

I found the firefighter question quite easy as it was just completing a sequence. However the burger index question....HOPELESS. Even after a week of staring at it I have no clue.

ReputationRep:
    That makes sense. Well good luck! X

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone. We got this. Positive mental attitude will hopefully help. They don't expect perfection. My english tutor said to me read the question a few times and also your answer. They are looking for the content and the way your present a piece. As for maths read question and attempt every one. All we can do is our best. Xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yep! All we can do is keep calm and plough though!

3 hours to go. Good luck all! x

ReputationRep:
    😩😩😩😩 x

ReputationRep:
    😩😩😩😩 x
    I know. I think I'll be having a drink tonight...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone. Xxx very nervous now.

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Me too fml I can’t even eat x

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Me too fml I can’t even eat x
    Aawww don't be passing out lol xx

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.