Help OCR A level Geography Earth and Life Question!!!!

Watch
flo295
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Explain how the biological carbon pump works between ocean and atmospheric stores
(it's only 4 marks but the question includes a small diagram of the biological carbon pump)

I have no idea how to even begin answering it...…….
wildjones
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by flo295)
Explain how the biological carbon pump works between ocean and atmospheric stores
(it's only 4 marks but the question includes a small diagram of the biological carbon pump)

I have no idea how to even begin answering it...…….
CO2 from the atmosphere dissolves into ocean water, and phytoplankton at the surface of well-lit waters photosynthesise to create organic matter, with a high net primary productivity. The carbon may then be respired from the phytoplankton at night and be released back into the atmosphere when it is not photosynthesising, or the phytoplankton may be consumed by fish or other species of marine animal and the carbon will be transferred through the food chain as a series of stores and flows. Eventually, the predators will die and decompose, releasing CO2 back into the ocean, where it is able to diffuse back into the atmospheric stores. Alternatively, the anaerobic conditions at the bottom of the ocean may lead to compression, sedimentation and lithification which removes the CO2 from both the ocean and atmospheric stores, transferring it into rock.

Not 100% sure if that's perfect, but it's a start if you have anything else to add!
ValarieMerida
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by wildjones)
CO2 from the atmosphere dissolves into ocean water, and phytoplankton at the surface of well-lit waters photosynthesise to create organic matter, with a high net primary productivity. The carbon may then be respired from the phytoplankton at night and be released back into the atmosphere when it is not photosynthesising, or the phytoplankton may be consumed by fish or other species of marine animal and the carbon will be transferred through the food chain as a series of stores and flows. Eventually, the predators will die and decompose, releasing CO2 back into the ocean, where it is able to diffuse back into the atmospheric stores. Alternatively, the anaerobic conditions at the bottom of the ocean may lead to compression, sedimentation and lithification which removes the CO2 from both the ocean and atmospheric stores, transferring it into rock.

Not 100% sure if that's perfect, but it's a start if you have anything else to add!
Damn, I wish I was as prepared as you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads