The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
linkdapink
But what if you get drunk inside and then go and walk to the nearest taxi rank to go home .

Its illegal for someone to sell you alcohol if you're drunk.. so this law is assuming you wouldnt legally be drunk inside anywhere.
Reply 21
It would be a good idea if drinkers weren't already paying 9 BILLION a year in taxes, which is one and a half times the amount they cost the NHS and the police force combined. If you factor in that a fair percentage of them won't be drawing their pensions the governments sitting on a gold mine!
The police have a duty to intervene when there is an actual genuine problem. If someone is drunk and fighting, then there is a problem. if someone is a wee bit merry, then there is not a problem.

Of course, proposing to fine people who haven't committed a crime by rebranding harmless behaviour in the realms of the criminalwould be an excellent way to raise vital funds for our government, and so this glorious idea should be promoted. After all, more money for the government isn't a bad thing, is it?

What is worse than the fact that these proposals have even been considered is that there is a supply of idiots willing to propose them.
Reply 23
BlackpoolCraig
The police have a duty to intervene when there is an actual genuine problem. If someone is drunk and fighting, then there is a problem. if someone is a wee bit merry, then there is not a problem.

Agreed. I think we often forget the most simple duty of a police constable is to keep the Queen's peace. That's what they should be concentrating on, and that is where they are most needed even today.

What is worse than the fact that these proposals have even been considered is that there is a supply of idiots willing to propose them.

There's always more than enough idiots out there willing to voice suppose for stupid and ill-considered 'solutions' to problems that only questionably exist.

What bothers me is the platform the BBC is willing to give them to stir up a bit of controversy, and how many of them actually receive public funds to spout their garbage.
I think something like this should be introduced - almost everyone likes a drink, but no-one likes a drunk.

but the problem does lie with how you define 'drunk', if someone is obviously very intoxicated but at the same time genuienly not causing anyone any problems, then i think it would be very draconian and puritanical to fine them.

we should penalise the obnoxious or aggressive drunks not the happy drunks.
Easy solution is not to get drunk..?

Whilst it would be unfair to fine drunks for being drunk, more needs to be done about people who are drunk and cause problems. I can't see the real attraction of being drunk anyway though.
No, because then I'd spend even more money on a night out.
Admonitor
Easy solution is not to get drunk..?

Whilst it would be unfair to fine drunks for being drunk, more needs to be done about people who are drunk and cause problems. I can't see the real attraction of being drunk anyway though.

The problem of road accidents:

Easy solution is not to drive..?

Whilst it would be unfair to fine drivers for driving, more needs to be done about people who drive and cause problems. I can't see the real attraction of driving anyway.
Not if they're not committing any crime. You can still be drunk from a heavy night out the next morning, it's stupid to fine them.
Reply 29
Huw Davies
The problem of road accidents:

Easy solution is not to drive..?

Whilst it would be unfair to fine drivers for driving, more needs to be done about people who drive and cause problems. I can't see the real attraction of driving anyway.

Indeed, or reducio ad absurdem - more and more people are obese - lets make businesses selling burgers and pizzas illegal :biggrin:
Reply 30
Original post by Sabertooth
Not if they're not committing any crime. You can still be drunk from a heavy night out the next morning, it's stupid to fine them.

Yep

Latest

Trending

Trending