Turn on thread page Beta

How can i overcome this?
    It's like I'm so weak and scared of everything. I've left sixthform despite achieving ok results, because of my fear of people. I have lot contact with old friends (although we were never close). I just keep crying. Everyones against me. I feel like I'm going to have a panick attack. I'v been like this for about 9 months and i honestly don't know what to do .

ReputationRep:
    What caused this fear of people?

ReputationRep:
    You need help. Could you sum up the courage to get to see your doctor? Or have you already seem him/her? Is there someone who can go with you to support you?
    It sounds like you have depression or anxiety, or both, and you need medication or therapy to help you get back to normal. If you are already having treatment, it needs to be reviewed as it is clearly not working.
    There is help available, please pluck up the courage to ask for it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Go see your doctor,he'll refer you to someone

ReputationRep:
    Maybe request a home visit from you GP? Sounds as though you need help fairly quickly, do your family know how you feel?
    Is it a fear of open places-Agraphobia?
    Or more a fear of meeting somebody you know and having to talk with them?

Whatever it is you can be helped.:knuddel:

ReputationRep:
    Agoraphobia perhaps? or might be an anxiety thing or a number of other things. The best thing to do is talk to someone, maybe a parent then/or a doctor.

yea you can get help with agraphobia. take things slowly. just venturing out to the end of your garden can be scary as hell but if you do it for a while, then when comfortable push abit further etc.
    then go to supermarkets when you know they will be dead, then when theyre abit busier. keep bjuilding slowly. it does get easier

ReputationRep:
    Sounds just like agoraphobia. You can get your life back if you ask for help from your G.P.

ReputationRep:
    I suffered with something similar, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Is it a case of obsessing over whether you will bump into people, making sure you know exactly where you're going, what you'll do when you get there, how you'll get back, etc.?

If this is more the case then it could be an anxiety problem rather than agoraphobia.

I used to obsess about leaving the house at just the right time so I could get to the bus stop to get to school, and I would frequently work myself up into a panic just in case anything happened on the two minute walk down the road.

I still have problems from time to time with it, mainly if I'm going somewhere new I'll get horribly anxious and nervous, even though 9/10 I'm a fairly confident person.

I know it will be difficult but try to get to see a Doctor. I'm sure if you called, or got someone to call for you, they'd be able to arrange a home visit, although you will probably have to wait longer.

I hope you manage to start feeling better soon! Feel free to PM me if you like!

ReputationRep:
    The way you get over it is dependant on the kind of person you are.

I left school a couple of months into my Highers due to my increasingly severe depression and anxiety. It got to the point where I couldn't leave the house on my own. I eventually started dealing with it after my Mum's (former) best mate made a few drunken comments about my situation.

I didn't take any medication and therapy didn't help (talking about stuff doesn't work for me). I also couldn't do the "baby steps" thing (step outside one day, walk as far as the fence the next, etc.); it made me feel pathetic, which only increased my anxiety. All the cooing and support my family gave me actually made it worse, because it made me feel like I could go on like that for as long as I wanted. Instead, I just got on the bus and went into town one day. It was like implosion therapy. I'm still terrified most of the time and talking to people is like torture, but it's getting easier. Even on my worst days, I'm glad that at least I'm not hiding in my bedroom anymore. I'm going abroad for the first time tomorrow

Of course, some (most?) people don't respond well to that kind of "treatment". It's possible that you'll respond better to the baby steps approach. A woman I know went through years of individual and group therapy, but no medication. She still has her moments, but she's doing really well. Another woman I know doesn't go to counselling but is taking anti-depressants/anti-anxiety meds. She was a complete mess last I heard. (While I do believe that meds are over-prescribed, I'm not saying they're always bad, but they should be used alongside counselling.)

As others have mentioned, you may find it helpful to go see your GP. He/she might not be great at dealing with mental health problems, but at least he/she can refer you to your local mental health organisation/support group.

ReputationRep:
    I can totally relate to how you feel as i've felt the same, but i've overcome it and so can you. Theres various basic facts that you need to trust in order to get better. Do them and i garuntee it will at least be easier if not much much better. Firstly go to the doctors and explain your problem and the massive effect it has had on your life. They will refer you, make sure you go to who ever they refer you to. I've found with most of my anxieties that they are fixed most effectivly my facing the thing your fear completly directly, expose yourself to it frequently and it will become less scary. Its like learning to drive on the motorway, wow that seems scary and dangerous but you try it and the more you try it the easier it becomes until you do it without it being an issue. Its interesting you say people are against you, if you havent been out for so long people aren't going to be thinking about you all the time are they? Anxiety is a very lonely place, so you tend to focus on yourself too much, for example ''i look stupid, everyones staring at me'' or '' theyre all giving me bad looks, its obvious theyre thinking bad things about me'' when in reality they just see another human being walking around, and think nothing of it. People dont see you the way you see yourself. I think the most important thing to take is to get professional help, this sort of situation is exactly what its there for.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be agoraphobic to the point I couldn't even stand outside my front door. But I am completely better now - at university, going to lectures, and gigs. I go to London on my own, have been to New York etc. You can totally get over this.

I would suggest going to your doctor, if you can. They'll refer you to a psychiatrist (the NHS waiting lists are quite long, so be prepared for that). They might also put you on medication - I was on fluoxetine (Prozac) which did help. At the psychiatrist you'll probably have CBT - cognitive behaviour treatment - which sort of teaches you to evaluate the way you're thinking (eg if you walk past someone and they don't say hi, thinking "they can't have seen me" instead of "oh my god, they hate me"). I also had hypnotherapy, which actually really helped me, even though you have to be careful to go to a reputable one!

Feel free to PM if you want to know anything else.

Thank you so much for all your advice, I've booked an appointment to see a doctor in 2 weeks . I've known i need to do it for ages I'm just glad i have now. I get so panicky, mainly about seeing someone i might know. I do think it is more anxiety than anything else.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2008
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.