Gap Year...what to do? Watch

vTRouBLedGal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I want to study dentistry but I am taking a gap year first. What kind of work experience do I need during the year? Am I supposed to have work experience only related to dentistry? How much experience (months) do they expect us to have? I have found a dental voluntary work placement in India – minimum voluntary time is 1 month. I don’t want to do that for more than a month anyway so what else am I supposed to do for the rest of the year? Signing up with a gap year agency would be too much money for me I think.
Any help appreciated. Thanks
rottcodd
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well the placement in India sounds perfect. They don't specifiy a particular amount of work experience that you have to have done - just work on the basis that 'Any experience is good experience'. Maybe you could also contact a few local dentists near you and ask if you can get some work experience there- it would be good to get a feel for dentistry in a UK setting and it would give you something to compare to when you write your personal statement. No, you don't have to solely get work experience within dentistry (though that should be your priority) - anything you volunteer to do is going to look good.

Having said that, don't spend your entire gap year trying to do things to boost your application - have fun as well. Maybe you could get a part-time job to save up for some money for uni, or go travelling or whatever. It's up to you what you want to do on your gap year. I'm sure you posted a thread recently where you seemed to imply that you thought only people who have good A-levels can do gap years - I think you've got a wrong sense of what a gap year is. It's a year off, you do what you like - some people go travelling, some people work, some people don't really do a lot at all, some people volunteer - there are no rules about gap years. Just do what you want to do, and if you can get a bit of experience along the way to improve your application, then all the better
coldplasma
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Do whatever you want to do, now is the time!
You don't even need to be working, you could just be travelling the world.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?