Postgraduate / teaching content on the wiki Watch

RK
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
As you might know I've been looking in to developing some of the postgraduate study stuff on the wiki - this includes the teaching and education courses.

As people register with TSR and stay with the site there are a growing number of people for who postgraduate study material might be useful.

So far not much has been done other than transfer a thread on Oxbridge postgrad study (which has started to be developed) and I've gone over the current content we have and identified what we could develop and what areas we could cover.

This has been done by speaking to a few people who have recently been considering postgraduate study and listening to what they would have found useful and things they found hard to find anything out about.

I've come up with the document attached below summarising what we already have and what has been said/suggested me.

I want to get on with developing some of this stuff now and would like to ask for a few opinions and a bit of help from in here.

So a few questions:

(1) What do you think of the ideas for articles/sections? Any more suggestions or changes or additions to what we can do?

(2) Do you know any relevant threads discussing the different points which could be linked to from the articles? If so could you link to them in here please?

(3) Do you know of any info on the forums that has good content that could be used as starting point to create any new articles? Again, could you link to them in here?

(4) Is anyone here willing to help out with write these articles? Or perhaps you'd be willing to read over anything that I might write. I've looked heavily into postgrad study myself know a fair but, but certainly not in every area, so I'd appreciate anyone being able to improve on anything I do come up with. Again, if you're willing to help out with this post in here and get going with it

I think it's be great to have a good quality series of post grad wiki articles that link nicely to relevant threads for further discussion and which are also linked to from somewhere in this forum. It could really be of benefit for the growing numbers of users who are considering postgrad study

(I've also posted a similar thread in the postgraduate forum for more general discussion of postgraduate content.)
Attached files
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Further to the above I've just been looking through the stickies here.

The route in to teaching one has been on the wiki for a long long time already.

The interview one looks like it contains a lot of accounts of people's experiences of interviews mixed in with discussion. I think a wiki article taking those accounts out from among the discussion could make it a more useful resource (though of course the discussion is also valid in a different way). I know there is lots of undergrad stuff there, but perhaps it can be split up to ug and pg etc.

The initial post in the resources thread hasn't been updated for 18 months. The type of list is better suited for anyone to be able to edit or update lists, so this can be added to the wiki too.

I'm planning on looking at the resources links now, editing out any broken ones and adding in the others suggested. I'll then link to it from within the first post and maybe add it to the useful resources for this forum too.

Any other suggestions, please suggest them
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
Right, I've written a PGCE guide now.

You can find it here.

Any suggestions? Please feel free to improve on it - I don't claim to be an excellent writer so that just my best attempt

I'm thinking of splitting it too - I might remove the job application section and change it in to a more general article on applying for teaching jobs as most of the stuff is relevant for any QTS teaching course. Is that a good idea?
RK
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
I just found this thread in here about comparing the GTP and a PGCE: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=530139

Fro scanning through it, I think it is a great thread and could make an ideal article on the wiki for people wanting to look in to either of them.

Does anyone want to help out by having ago a writing it? I think large sections of the text from the thread could be used - it just needs the stuff from different posts putting in to some sort of order.

If anyone can do this, we can offer some riches for the completed article - just post in here if you want to have a go
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (69)
19.66%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (144)
41.03%
Nope, not that interesting (138)
39.32%

Watched Threads