How can I tell them I've lost my faith? Watch

Hatty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
My parents have always brought me and my sister and brother up in a Christian environment. We all went to Sunday school, were baptised and confirmed. But for the past year I've been questioning Christianity, for various reasons, and a couple of months ago realised that I was probably agnostic.

Realising this wasn't easy, and was a bit scary, but it felt right at the same time. I still wonder about there being something other than us, something with some divine nature, but I don't think that Christianity has all the answers. It's weird, because it meant I could change the way I saw a lot of things in the world.

The problem is, I feel like I have to tell my parents about my new beliefs (or loss of, you could say). It's coming up to Easter, and I just don't feel right about celebrating it in the same way as we always have done. I told my sister about it, and she began quizzing me, which felt a bit uncomfortable. Not wanting to judge too harshly, but she's not really very Christian herself. But she assumed it was 'just a phase'. My parents both have religious backgrounds, but they're not particularly devout. They're quite liberal minded usually, but I just don't know what to say to them, or if I even should?
ßlαcksωαn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Keep going along with it if you feel you can or take on your independance and believe in what you want and tell them.
Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The way I see it is, you're 18 and you're entitled to believe what you want. Tell them, bring it up in conversation, but don't make a huge deal out of it. So you're an agnostic, you're entitled to be!
moodring01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The best answer I can think of is that your parents if Christianity has taught them well then they won't mind. Faith is all about the individual, if you don't have it you don't have it. I can't make myself believe in God. And your Vicar, or whoever you see, will value your thoughts. You have a right to question Christianity and all religions.

I have plenty of hangups on religion but not on a belief in God. I study theology for A2 and I have no problem with the concept of God without religion. Be a theist, be an agnostic, be whatever you want to be and don't be afraid. Way too much pain, too many tears shed for me to sit back and say I don't mind religion.

On a side, I told some Jehovah Witnesses that I was Atheist and they were stunned. Very funny moment for me.
Gaylei
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know kinda how you feel, I used to go to church as a teen and youth club and everything but when I turned about 17 ( Im 23 now) I just felt that what ever it was that I had then, I just didnt have anymore, I dont feel like going to church with other christians to praise god and all that, I just dont. But I still believe in him and pray to him but I just cant do all the singing to him and just praying when I have a problem rather then sort it out. I think some of it comes from the type of chrisitians I met on the way by "chrisitians" I mean some where shoving it down my throte and others were sleeping around and doing their own thing every day and then comming to church on a sunday. The more I grow up the more (In my Opinion) I think that Pentecostals are a cult. Tell your parents, its not going to kill them, it might disapoint but be honest and explain
Irrelevance
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't really think Religion should be forced onto people, after all, free will is free will for a reason. You're entitled to your own opinions and nobody should be allowed to change that.

What would you gain or lose from telling them and what's so bad if you don't?
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago
hmm how ironic you should bring this up as i had an incident in school earlier today! basically my friend asked me if i was a muslim and i paused for a moment. i know i've lost faith in Islam or any other religion for that matter but i still believe in god. i don't have a problem with the 'higher power' or whatever you wanna call it, it is religion that means nothing to me. i just didn't know how to answer my friend. i wanted to tell him i was agnostic but then i still believe in god. hah don't really know what to say when someone asks me about god and religion. i don't like talking about it and i believe it's a private matter, a private relationship. you don't have to explain yourself to anyone, op.
sooty1230
Report 10 years ago
Mum,Dad I've lost my faith, done and dusted.............

Next
Anonymous #2
Report 10 years ago
Hey, I dont blame those people who are doubting Christianity because it is full of contradictions and everyone has a right to question it. However am very disappointed in the anonamous writter above, cant believe you can lose faith in Allah. if you were brought up a muslim then you should know the grave consequences of what you are feeling. I dont mean to sound like a preacher, but Islam is why we are all here. If you read the Quran and really understand it, theres no reason for you to think otherwise. No wonder its the fastest growing religion in the world. As more people realise the truth behind everything that is. The only piece of valuable advice i can give is, dont give up you faith in islam so easily, its the most precious thing you can own!!!!

All those who doubt Christianity, the answers for you lie in the Quran. The true words of god, Allah. This is the divine revelation you are all seraching for.
v2006
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Worship the devil.
Somebody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Perhaps be honest and say that although you still believe in God, you are unsure if Christianity is the "right" way and would prefer to take a step back from all the churchy stuff for a while to reflect on it (sometimes taking a break helps realise you do think it's right... or think it's not).

As has already been said, you're an adult and your parents should support you with your decision. I also agree that your relationship with God is a personal thing, hard to describe and not necessarily something that you need to go explaining to everyone
MetroGnome
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous #2)
Hey, I dont blame those people who are doubting Christianity because it is full of contradictions and everyone has a right to question it. However am very disappointed in the anonamous writter above, cant believe you can lose faith in Allah. if you were brought up a muslim then you should know the grave consequences of what you are feeling. I dont mean to sound like a preacher, but Islam is why we are all here. If you read the Quran and really understand it, theres no reason for you to think otherwise. No wonder its the fastest growing religion in the world. As more people realise the truth behind everything that is. The only piece of valuable advice i can give is, dont give up you faith in islam so easily, its the most precious thing you can own!!!!

All those who doubt Christianity, the answers for you lie in the Quran. The true words of god, Allah. This is the divine revelation you are all seraching for.
Umm did that even answer the OP's question at all?
Ginger_Rogers
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I dont mean to sound like a preacher [...]

...but you do.
Anonymous #3
Report 10 years ago

And I don't blame the people who doubt the Qu'ran and Islam. There's also things in there that have been mis-translated, mis-interpretted and such. Happens in all religions.

I'm a Christian and don't blame people who doubt the bible.

I just hate it when people put pressure on others to believe what they think (or "know") is right. Please note this does NOT mean I hate the people themselves. I just don't think it's right to force religion on people. One of the problems I have with understand the Islamic faith is that people who decide it's not right for them are threatened to a far greater extent than in other religions (though Hinduism is another one). I think this has a bit - if not a lot - to do with why it's the fastest growing religion in the world.

To be honest, the 3 main world religions (Islam, Christianity and Judaism) all stem from Abraham, and have the same basic principles. But the way it's interpretted and enforced there after is what differs.

But this is not a thread to discuss religion, so I will stop.

And to the OP - I would say I'm still a Christian (it makes the most sense to me personally), but am slightly agnostic about it at times and feel I can't tell anyone (I've been an active member of my church for 5 or so years, and don't want to "let everyone down" or whatever (though that's me being paranoid) so know how hard it can be to tell people).
I would tell your parents if you don't feel comfortable going to church though. Re-iterate that you still believe in God, but aren't sure Chrstianity feels right for you. They should understand and support you - that's what family is there for

Good luck
Anonymous #1
Report 10 years ago

blablabla youd think with this self righteous speech of yours i would repent and be a devout muslim again. sorry, but this only strengthen my hate for religion. can't even find the decency to pretend and understand why i've renounced religion. manipulating fear into trying to get me follow islam. yeah i know the grave consequences, the problem is i don't believe in it.
Metal_Gear
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, I dont blame those people who are doubting Christianity because it is full of contradictions and everyone has a right to question it. However am very disappointed in the anonamous writter above, cant believe you can lose faith in Allah. ETC ETC
Despite not belonging to either religion myself, I think it is quite offensive to put down another religion and promote your own. Please preach somewhere else.
*bobo*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My family are Christians and would take me to church with them (not that I was ever religious myself, young children can be so easily influenced though) until at around 12/13 I made my decision, took my stand, and told them I was an athiest. They didn't hugely mind, although they were, and still are, a little disappointed and feel they've failed me.
You should definately tell them, even if it is of little importance, as its good for them to know where you stand.
moodring01
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All this anonymity is weird. Why can't people be open to discussion without fear of exposing who they are or what they have said before?

I don't like any religion and I can hardly respect any of them when people's lives are ruined because of a decision made by people, yes people, and certainly not God. We need to stand up against religion, not ban it or anything, but not let it rule our lives. Just take a look at the Pope, put there for one reason and one reason alone.

NOTE! I do not disrespect theists or any peaceful communities that share similar views and that respect individual differences in expressing their faith and what God means to them. Morality is independent of God and should never be formulated out of religion
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Oh God, we have Islamics trying to convert ex-Christians into their religion now? Let people make their own decisions, it doesn't effect you if people don't find truth - stop pretending your motives are friendly and show your compassion for all people because that's crap, you just want to sit around and feel you're right because surely over a billion people can't be wrong?

ANYWAY.

I would tell them. Their reaction is going to depend on how they are Christian. If they are ACTUALLY Christians, as in people who have looked at the evidence available, made an informed decision and decided this is best for them - they'll understand. Afterall they preach forgiveness and everything, and the freedom to make your own choices in the world.

However, I dare say more likely is that they are Christian because their family was Christian and it's just embedded into their culture and way of life so deeply. This will just cause them to be miffed and judgemental about your decision. So unless you're pretty sure they fall into the first category rather than this one, I would prepare for some pretty harsh reactions.

Either way I would tell them, surely any parent would be proud to have an independant and free thinking child? I know I'd be proud of my child even if he was religious despite the fact I'm very much athiest, as long as he made the decision for the right reasons and not some form of peer pressure or brainwashing!
M15T3R CH4RL35
Report 10 years ago
I don't really get Christianity really either. I got given a form to fill in at the church youth group about a trip and it asked questions about 'so what made you decide to be a christian' and I was like 'wel I'm not really that into it' so i didn't bother with the hippie trip.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (627)
80.59%
Leave (151)
19.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise