Turn on thread page Beta

A level system is failing. watch

ReputationRep:
    you reckon?? terrible marking, stricter on coursework, ??

ReputationRep:
    Yea i'd agree with the marking, can't speak for coursework as I do alternative papers but it has been mentioned on BBC news somewhere that A levels might be scraped in the future to make way for new diplomas instead.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...and then they wonder why there are hardly any kids wanting to take sciences.
    Helllllllllllloooooo
    rant over!

ReputationRep:
    The whole schooling and GCSE's etc all needs a complete re-jig in my opinion, including the A-Levels. It is an out-dated system and some people enter their A-Levels barely knowing how to write a letter.

ReputationRep:
    I think that marking is ridiculous on science papers at A level especially as they cannot persume so you might use one word rather than the other even though it means the same thing the examiner cannot give you the mark! It's annoying

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with the above

ReputationRep:
    A levels are terrible, some like my lit and lang course were ridiculously hard, we were having to learn degree level stuff to try and get an A :mad: but then in my media studies i barely went to the lessons learnt nothing and achieved an A in the subject :confused: really stupid system, geography was the only subject that was almost acceptable in my opinion but A levels are basically pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i agree, my media studies was cancelled for over a month and i got a high B in the january exams, and with english i went to every lesson and slogged my guts off and i came out with a low C - and some of the questions in my german listening/reading exam can be quite ambiguous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammie08)
    A levels might be scraped in the future
    People have been scraping A levels for many years, and always will.

ReputationRep:
    Har Har.

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Why failling?

ReputationRep:
    The scariest part is the marking, if you dont mark peoples paper properly its messing with their future!
    Exam boards should really invest in their markers more and reduce pressure on individual markers so they can read the work and not whizz over it.

In AS I got a C grade in ICT but with a remark which was very expensive I got an extra 12 marks!!!
    Jumped from C - A!

I hope to god that my summer exams get propper marking as I think its very unfair on us students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kazss11)
    The scariest part is the marking, if you dont mark peoples paper properly its messing with their future!
    Exam boards should really invest in their markers more and reduce pressure on individual markers so they can read the work and not whizz over it.

In AS I got a C grade in ICT but with a remark which was very expensive I got an extra 12 marks!!!
    Jumped from C - A!

I hope to god that my summer exams get propper marking as I think its very unfair on us students.
    I couldn't agree with you more, you're absolutely right. Careless marking and mistakes can really mess up someone's future - especially when someone has worked extremely hard and has given all they can in their exams only to get low grades in the end and then having to pay for remarks (not cheap) to see that they've actually got higher grades. The number of students asking for remarks etc is very high as far as I know ... the exam boards should do something about this.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't agree with you more, you're absolutely right. Careless marking and mistakes can really mess up someone's future - especially when someone has worked extremely hard and has given all they can in their exams only to get low grades in the end and then having to pay for remarks (not cheap) to see that they've actually got higher grades. The number of students asking for remarks etc is very high as far as I know ... the exam boards should do something about this.

You only have to pay if the mark does not change. If the mark changes, then the money is reimbursed.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, getting a higher grade...because the mark has changed. Therefore B ---> A, at no cost to the student. What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I personally haven't been through any remarking, only giving my thoughts based on what I heard from others at school - thanks for the correction, didn't know you would be reimbursed if the marks change. I should mention this to my exams officer..he is pretty clueless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dream123)
    Yeah...and then they wonder why there are hardly any kids wanting to take sciences.
    Helllllllllllloooooo
    rant over!
    I'm doing the sciences :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I personally haven't been through any remarking, only giving my thoughts based on what I heard from others at school - thanks for the correction, didn't know you would be reimbursed if the marks change. I should mention this to my exams officer..he is pretty clueless.

haha! Ok, good thinking. I had a paper remarked once and it would have cost £40 but because the grade went up (ie. marks added) it didn't cost anything. I wonder if the marks go down u still don't have to pay anything. Because they have still made a mistake, and the marks still change...just in the wrong direction! But you definitely don't pay if they go up.

ReputationRep:
    why is it failing? it's difficult but that's it. or am i missing something?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.