OCR A-level Chemistry A H432 [2018 Exam Discussion]

Watch this thread
Nadiya5
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi! Figured I would make this one as well, seeing as no one else has so far ~

Upcoming Chemistry Exam Dates:

• Tuesday 5th June 2018 - (Paper 1) H432/01: Periodic Table, Elements and Physical Chemistry

Time: Afternoon
Duration: 2hrs 15mins

• Tuesday 12th June 2018 - (Paper 2) H432/02: Synthesis and Analytical Techniques

Time: Afternoon
Duration: 2hrs 15mins

• Wednesday 20th June 2018 - (Paper 3) H432/03: Unified Chemistry

Time: Morning
Duration: 1hr 30mins

Good luck guys !!!

786hasan123
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Anyone got any predictions for Paper 1. I think Born Haber will come up seen as it didn't come up on any of the 2017 papers.
Thanks
hihiih
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
bump
aqsahawan
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I have a hunch that standard solutions and more complex buffer questions will come up , anyone have weird calculation questions they want to share ?
briefcase
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
how do you do enthalpy of solution and hydration and etc
(Original post by aqsahawan)
I have a hunch that standard solutions and more complex buffer questions will come up , anyone have weird calculation questions they want to share ?
i secknd this. any exampls
FluuidKarma
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by briefcase)
how do you do enthalpy of solution and hydration and etc

i secknd this. any exampls

to calculate enthalpy of hydration/solution

hess's law mate

enthalpy of solution=enthalpy of hydration-lattice enthalpy

this is because when you dissolve an ionic solute:
1) the ionic lattice is broken to form gaseous ions (OPPOSITE OF LATTICE ENTHALPY)
2) the gaseous ions form bonds with water molecules, dissolving them (ENTHALPY OF HYDRATION)

this is reflected in the equation above.
in the exam you just have to plug in given values into that equation to find the unknown value.

if you're still stuck read this: https://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical.../solution.html

example of a tricky acid calculation

Name:  yeetya.png
Views: 478
Size:  141.7 KB
i personally found this question really hard (red highlighted one)
the solution is:
Spoiler:
Show

you have to rearrange the Ka=[H+][A-]/[HA] equation, piece of cake after that! sneaky though.

standard solution example

and yeah for standard solutions there's this question from the set 2 paper
Attachment 752360752364

that's as difficult as i imagine it getting tbh, mark scheme is on side if you want to see how that's marked. it is strictly a practical based thing fyi.

as always, go through the spec online. chem is kinda blessed bc it's small AND they will never go off spec. literally everything on the paper last year could be found on the spec. strongly recommend going over the maths section to make sure there's nothing you miss there.

also, remember colorimetry! you use the opposite colour for the filter to the reactant solution so you measure the absorbed light.
to find concentration:
calibrate colorimeter create standard solutions and measure absorbance of standard solutions to obtain reference values, plot on a graph with concentration (x) against absorbance (y) to create calibration curve. measure absorbance of unknown sol., compare to calibration curve to find out concentration.

good luck everyone! X
Attached files
candifloss
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
thank you!!
ngl i didn't clock that this was an afternoon exam lool

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
mansnothot
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
i made a thread about a chem question could anyone help?
Lia22
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do we need to know the indicator names?
And also...
Name:  Screenshot_20180529-222005-compressed.png.jpeg
Views: 560
Size:  92.0 KB

Where is say 'explanation of...'
Is that basically the definition we need to learn?
username2312801
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hoping its similar to last years paper and not too hard
ZAYN zain
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
What is the answer for the acid qn
mansnothot
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
what does the ratio of [HA]:[A-] tell you about ph
anonymous0018
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
someone please help me with this question
The half-life for the first order reaction is 688 hrs at 1000°C CS2 (g) --> CS (g) + S (g)
a) Calculate the specific rate constant value and units.
b) Calculate the amount of a 3.0 g sample of CS2 remaining after 48 hours.

i got the answer for part a (0.00100748) but i dont understand part b
hihiih
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Gone through the revision guide and new spec papers but i feel like i wouldnt know how to do a big mark question on setting up practical experiment, anyone got any recommendations for ones i should learn that or more likely to come up?
mansnothot
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hihiih)
Gone through the revision guide and new spec papers but i feel like i wouldnt know how to do a big mark question on setting up practical experiment, anyone got any recommendations for ones i should learn that or more likely to come up?
what type of practicals?
mansnothot
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonymous0018)
someone please help me with this question
The half-life for the first order reaction is 688 hrs at 1000°C CS2 (g) --> CS (g) + S (g)
a) Calculate the specific rate constant value and units.
b) Calculate the amount of a 3.0 g sample of CS2 remaining after 48 hours.

i got the answer for part a (0.00100748) but i dont understand part b
how did u get part a?
anonymous0018
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
by using the half life equation
k= ln(2)/half life
so ln(2)/688
hihiih
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mansnothot)
what type of practicals?
for the physical exam tomorrow just if you think there are any specific ones that we may be asked to set up, i could explain how to set up titration and electrochemical cells for example but im not sure what else they might ask. not sure if ive explained that well?!
mansnothot
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
for the physical exam tomorrow just if you think there are any specific ones that we may be asked to set up, i could explain how to set up titration and electrochemical cells for example but im not sure what else they might ask. not sure if ive explained that well?!
i think thats all i dont even know any tbh . could u explain how to set up titration? thanks
anonymous0018
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
you know that after 688 hours the product left would be 1.5g so wouldnt it just be 3 - (48/688 x 1.5)?
wow i didnt think about it like that
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (3)
8.33%
Quite well (19)
52.78%
Not so good (10)
27.78%
Terrible! (4)
11.11%

Watched Threads