Denazification of Nazi Germany

Watch
ineeedhellp
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
can someone explain what actual attempts of denazification there were and if they were successful/unsuccessful because all I know is that the obviously split it into zones and the got rid of Nazi leaders and stopped the propaganda and if its an 18 marker I'm screwed.
krissie23
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Don’t worry, a lot of people forget the details.There were educational and political attampts.The Allies got rid if the Nazi curriculum and teachers straight away. The Länder schools were re-opened in September 1945 but tgere were debates in the Bundestag on what to teach- Holocausr, the Nazis- how should they teach it? The result was dry, factual history and was successful in teaching the next generation but by the 1960s, when baby boomers grew up and got sick of the sloppy de-Nazification tactics-( as they saw it) - they wanted reform as by 1947 85% of all Nazi teachers in Bavaria that lost their jobs due to de-Nazification were back in work. Soon, Chancellor Brandt drew up a law to reconstruct the education system and was passed, but never saw the light of day as no reconstruction occured. The result was, therefore unsuccessful. There was difinitive success in de-Nazifying the education system, as the Allies replaced the system with their own. The Americans brought over 5 million of tgeir textbooks to their zones and the Soviets hired 40, 000 teachers to teach their own communist ideology etc. They were successful in overturning the Nazi system but not in solidifying support amongst the Germans towards that de-Nazification. Not to mention that some Germans like the baby boomers saw the process as shabby and incomplete.With me so far? Hopefully.. In politics the de-Nazifycation process was again questionably successful. The Nuremberg Trials of Nazi officials exposed the truth of what occured during the war amd it put the last nail in the coffin. But, yet again, the ‘year zero’ tactic held back any real progress. Adeanaur and many right- wing politicians wanted to create a clean slate for Germany. In 1951 Article 131 was added to the Basic Law, stating that ex- Nazis were allowed to be recruited in the civil service. The fact that it was integrated in the constitution itself shows how the policy of de-Nazification became unimportant and ‘year zero’ was prioritised. One could call it sucess, as the country was moving on and beyond the horrors of the Second World War, but it was also unsuccessful as the policy was met with hostile opposition. Again, student protests opposed it strongly and saw it as sloppy, especially considering some of the Allues absorbed Nazis- like 1,600 Nazi scientists agreed to join the USA and avoided persecution in exchange. Some Germans felt cheated by this back-handed persuit and during a 1961 poll revealed that only 1/3 of University of Frantfurt’s students believed in Democracya the FrG’s democracy that was built on the de-Nazification policy. There were also some other areas, like de-Nazifying culture etc, but I think I gave you the framework. Obviously, don’t write your paragraphs exactly like this... it’s a bit disorganised. Hope this helps and good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads