Missing the required grades Watch

nufcdave
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
right so the situation is that i need 3 B's but its looking like im only going to get 2 B's and a C. I applied for politics, am i likely to be told to get lost come July/August?
cheers, dave
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nobody can tell you. It depends on Queen Mary's situation come results day, so you just have to wait until then I'm afraid. Anybody on here will just be speculating.
risi
Report 10 years ago
Hello Dave,

I do not know what it is like for Politics, but last year a friend of mine got into Mathematics and Financial Economics (also a respected course) with BBC, and his offer was BBB. So i think you're ok. If not, apply through clearing, but it would be illogical for them to turn you down and take in people for clearing, so i would say don't worry much. And i remember plenty from my college on results day who said "i didn't dow that well, but i got into Queen Mary! "

So Good Luck.
nufcdave
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
cheers
i really dont want to have to apply through clearing and go somewhere else.
QM politics department is pretty good so ill be prety happy if in august they give me a place.
risi
Report 10 years ago
i hope they do too. best of luck.
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
what universities tend to do is see how many "missed offer" places they have then rank you on your extra curriculars. Take the top people for the number of places and reject the rest. So if you have lots of good stuff on your personal statement then you have a much better chance. Most universities also prioritise "missed offer" applicants if you have them as your firm
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The_Goose)
what universities tend to do is see how many "missed offer" places they have then rank you on your extra curriculars. Take the top people for the number of places and reject the rest. So if you have lots of good stuff on your personal statement then you have a much better chance. Most universities also prioritise "missed offer" applicants if you have them as your firm
Where did you get that information from? They certainly don't draw up a list of your extra curriculars, rank you on it, then make offers depending on what place in the rank you are, that's madness. It's a completely individual thing, it depends on the day and the circumstances of the uni. None of us on here can speculate because we don't work as admissions tutors for the university.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by rottcodd)
Where did you get that information from? They certainly don't draw up a list of your extra curriculars, rank you on it, then make offers depending on what place in the rank you are, that's madness. It's a completely individual thing, it depends on the day and the circumstances of the uni. None of us on here can speculate because we don't work as admissions tutors for the university.
I asked this very question at most of my open days and this as the general response. They said they spend about 24 hours reviewing the applications of those that didn't make their offeres then take the best for the remaining places.
rottcodd
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, I'm sure they review your application, but they certainly don't 'rank you on your extra curriculars' as you put it. They would look at your application as a whole.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
they review things that aren't your grades is what i meant basically she said they took the top however many places they had left and that things like DoE and voluntter work would be strongly in your favour
Trirarien
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My offer was BBB (for German and Linguistics) and I got BCC and they still let me. I was applying for a deferred entry and I don't know how oversubscribed they are for Politics, but I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

However, if you know that's what you're predicted now, why not just work harder and try to get those 3 B's?
unknown demon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
BBB is the offer, the students who are joint hons politics are more likely to have lower grades. But on the whole most of the students enter with ABC/BBB or equivalent. Concentrate on getting the grades, I'm sure you will.
pcok
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know if it's the same but for Law at King's they "rank" (as someone on here put it) students according to how closely they missed their offer (i.e: in UMS marks). It is different for King's though in the sense that it is only very rarely that they would have to resort to this, as usually they do not have any places left as enough people meet the offer, and so usually they do not accept anyone who misses their offer, even if only by 1 mark.
DeSiFiEd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Chances are (if) they say no the first day, if you try the next or a few days later you'll be able to get in....as long as its just a grade here or there.

I don't think Politics at QM is the most competitive subject in terms of numbers (may be wrong). But don't right of your chances. Just work hard, just make your days count!
unknown demon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There is space. But they are stringent in terms of requirements. As I posted above, do not think about what happens if you miss them, focus on working hard and getting the grades. You will be fine.
Misanthropist
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well they offered you a place even though your predicted grades were bbc so there's something about you that they like, as someone has mentioned above they look at you as a whole (ur interest nd ur passion for the course) nd not just grades. Good luck nd if you get in will c u in lectures (assuming i gt in lol)
Eskimo Melon
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont know about your department but the history dept at Queen Mary seemed to be pretty lenient last year form what I heard when I came here. I'm guessing yours will be much the same. Try not to worry too much
kit21088
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
ok so my predicted grades were CCC and i took a chance with queen mary (when they were asking for BBC) and i made them my firm.. now tht results day is getting closer and clsoer im kinda thinking tht i wont get the required grades.. so i just wanted to know.. if anybody does.. is queen mary lenient with their science degrees? (as i have applied for molecular bio) xx
Nitzy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kit21088)
ok so my predicted grades were CCC and i took a chance with queen mary (when they were asking for BBC) and i made them my firm.. now tht results day is getting closer and clsoer im kinda thinking tht i wont get the required grades.. so i just wanted to know.. if anybody does.. is queen mary lenient with their science degrees? (as i have applied for molecular bio) xx
Yeah they are to a degree, molecular biology was in clearing last year too. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (113)
80.14%
Leave (28)
19.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise