The Student Room Group

A level maths

Hey guys, right now I’m doing gcse maths and on a grade 8/9

I’m planning on taking maths for a level and so to get ahead I was planning
on finishing the whole c1 maths topics during the six weeks, do you recommend this ? Should I try to do more than just c1

Thanks for Any help in advance
F
Reply 1
Original post by Flashsav
Hey guys, right now I’m doing gcse maths and on a grade 8/9

I’m planning on taking maths for a level and so to get ahead I was planning
on finishing the whole c1 maths topics during the six weeks, do you recommend this ? Should I try to do more than just c1

Thanks for Any help in advance
F

If you want to do it make sure you will understand it , and practise alot
Why not try some Further Maths GCSE topics. Some of these topics come up in A level Maths
Its about practice and C1 is now old spec but it is good for you to look at as a transition to A level maths
If you’re on track for an 8 or 9, definitely take A level maths
But make sure you enjoy and are good at it, not just good at it
This is a good attitude.

Getting ahead will "ease" the transition which is difficult for some people.

That said, a lot of what you'll look at you'll probably know already, especially if you did something like further or additional maths at GCSE. Do persevere so you can get on to the more interesting maths.
Definitely a good idea if you haven't done GCSE Further Maths.

Some colleges have a set system for Maths where each set does different modules (though, now that it's linear, I don't know how this will change), and bottom set is reserved for those that have to learn C1 whilst everyone in the other sets will start with C2.
I'll also add that unless you're an international student, you'll be doing a new linear specification.

If you plan on buying textbooks in advance, be sure to buy the ones for the new specification.

The content is more or less the same as the old modular specification, the main change is with the questions. (there are only a few new topics. More have been removed than added)
Reply 7
Original post by Zaspo
If you want to do it make sure you will understand it , and practise alot

@Zaspo

Thanks for the reply, yh I plan on learning the majority of it and doing past papers
Reply 8
Original post by _gcx
I'll also add that unless you're an international student, you'll be doing a new linear specification.

If you plan on buying textbooks in advance, be sure to buy the ones for the new specification.

The content is more or less the same as the old modular specification, the main change is with the questions. (there are only a few new topics. More have been removed than added)

@_gcx

Thanks for the reply

I’m a regular student not international, do you have any good text books to recommend to me and what year are you in
Reply 9
Original post by muffinmachine
Definitely a good idea if you haven't done GCSE Further Maths.

Some colleges have a set system for Maths where each set does different modules (though, now that it's linear, I don't know how this will change), and bottom set is reserved for those that have to learn C1 whilst everyone in the other sets will start with C2.

@muffinmachine

Thanks for the reply

No unfortunately I didn’t go gcse further maths, and oh that sounds terrible being in a lower set in a level maths, hopefully that changes for the new spec !!:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by _gcx
This is a good attitude.

Getting ahead will "ease" the transition which is difficult for some people.

That said, a lot of what you'll look at you'll probably know already, especially if you did something like further or additional maths at GCSE. Do persevere so you can get on to the more interesting maths.

@_gcx

May I ask what year you are in
Original post by Flashsav
@_gcx

Thanks for the reply

I’m a regular student not international, do you have any good text books to recommend to me and what year are you in

What exam board does your school do? (or your prospective sixth form) Edexcel publishes their own, and as does OCR. Not sure about AQA.

I'm in year 12.
Reply 12
Original post by _gcx
What exam board does your school do? (or your prospective sixth form) Edexcel publishes their own, and as does OCR. Not sure about AQA.

I'm in year 12.

@_gcx

I’m doing edexcel

How are you finding as maths

Thanks for the reply

Quick Reply

Latest