mutations Watch

samar0810
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
are mutations (addition,deletion.substitution, chromosome) discontinued variation or continued, do they pass onto the next generation?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,
Firstly I think you mean continuous and discontinuous variation!

Yes, they can be (not always) transmitted to the next generation - if the genome of an organism is altered, this will be reflected in the gametes (as part of a haploid number of chromosomes, given), and therefore might pass to the offspring, depending on which alleles come from the affected parent and which from the other parent.

An example is the transmission of antibiotic resistance that has been acquired by a few bacteria through random mutation, which is transmitted both VERTICALLY and horizontally to the whole population of bacteria over time.

Whether any variation is continuous or discontinuous depends on the phenotype being looked at. A discrete feature like brown/white moths in the classic example, that is determined by a single gene, will lead to discontinuous variation, while some non-discrete feature like height or weight (where the phenotype is not "black or white") will undergo continuous variation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.04%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (68)
9.88%
No I am happy with my course choice (392)
56.98%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (97)
14.1%

Watched Threads