C4 integration Watch

Keira Larkin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I did the integral of (tan2x)^2, taking the limits to be pi/8 and 0. I got an answer of 0.5pi - pi^2/8 which I'm very sure in correct. I subtracted this answer from pi^2/8 (which is the volume of the cylinder) but still got the incorrect answer.

The mark scheme takes the integral of tan2x -1 instead and I'm not really sure why

Could someone please help me? Thank you in advance
Attached files
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Keira Larkin)
I did the integral of (tan2x)^2, taking the limits to be pi/8 and 0. I got an answer of 0.5pi - pi^2/8 which I'm very sure in correct. I subtracted this answer from pi^2/8 (which is the volume of the cylinder) but still got the incorrect answer.

The mark scheme takes the integral of tan2x -1 instead and I'm not really sure why

Could someone please help me? Thank you in advance
The volume of revolution is formed by rotating the area about the line y=1, NOT the x-axis (y=0).

To do this, them shift the entire graph down by 1, so you have tan2x -1, and THEN you can rotate it about the line y=0, i.e. the x-axis.
Keira Larkin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
The volume of revolution is formed by rotating the area about the line y=1, NOT the x-axis (y=0).

To do this, them shift the entire graph down by 1, so you have tan2x -1, and THEN you can rotate it about the line y=0, i.e. the x-axis.
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish