Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I was wondering what it takes for a candidate to be allowed to type their answers. I am a relatively slow writer, and so therefore type the vast majority of my school work. Therefore, Of anybody has any advice for how I would be able to discover whether or not I would be allowed to type my answers. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it
    I type a lot of uni work up during the year, but when it comes to revision, I write practice questions, 'cause it helps to improve my writing speed at the same time, and that's how you answer the questions of course.
    I think you'd have to have a medical reason to be allowed to type the exam.

ReputationRep:
    People who are allowed to type their answers in exams are usually handicapped in such a way that it would make it fairly impossible for them to do the exam if it was handwritten. If you're just simply a 'slow writer', they are not going to premit you to type your answers. However, you need to speak to your school about it as it depends on your circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennah)
    I think you'd have to have a medical reason to be allowed to type the exam.
    I didn't have a medical condition to type all of my GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nintendus)
    I didn't have a medical condition to type all of my GCSEs.
    Was it not some other substantial reason? They don't exactly want to open the floodgates after agreeing one or two requests I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    i know a girl who doesnt write fast and has dyslexia. she gets a reader and a writer for her exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennah)
    Was it not some other substantial reason? They don't exactly want to open the floodgates after agreeing one or two requests I'm sure.
    Just bad handwriting. I haven't been diagnosed with dyslexia/dyspraxia or anything. I also write pretty fast.

I had to do this thing where I wrote for 15 minutes, typed for 15 minutes then sent it off the exam boards, and they all gave me permission.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You need to talk to your school, they may be able to arrange for extra time if there are reaons to warrent this or they may be able to allow your answers to be typed, but act quickly as your school/ college needs to apply to the exam board for things like this and the deadline for doing so isnt that far away

- Feel free to rep me -

ReputationRep:
    I know a boy with no known mental handicaps, who is allowed to type his answers in exams because - for whatever reason - his handwriting is literally illegible to anyone but himself. I'm sure something must be causing it, as he has tried to learn to write differently, but he can't manage to. The school did try various ways of rectifying the problem before they offered this alternative, though.

ReputationRep:
    I got permission because I did so much revision and typing up of (not writing it for them, just typing it up because I touch type) that I got a repetitive strain injury in my right hand wrist which started in my thumb and escalated up my arm and into my back. I guess I can type faster than I write but seeing as both put me in complete agony, I don't think I was at any advantage. I got offered someone to write on my behalf but did not take to that method in a practice exam. The best you can do is start doing a good plan of your answers (you write quicker when you already know what you are going to write next, and if you fail to finish they can mark your plan as the knowledge was obviously there you simply ran out of time) and do loads of timed exams to get used to the time scale.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.